FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
6079 Discussions

Ethernet access via FPGA in DE10 nano board

Mahsheed
Beginner
Hello,

I am using DE10 nano board for my project, and I want to use its ethernet with FPGA. I planned to use TSE Ethernet IP core and link it with FPGA pins that are routed with PHY IC. Now when I try to assign those pins in my FPGA design, pin planner generates an error and says that these pins are not assignable.

Please help me resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What is the exact error?  Screenshots of what you're seeing?

0 Kudos
Mahsheed
Beginner

unfortunately, I do not have the screenshot with me. But the error generated when I tried giving PIN_D17 and it says pin unassignable. Let me share the details from user manual.

Please see the attached picture. These pins from PHY IC are pre configured with HPS. But, I need to use this PHY IC with my  FPGA side, as I am not using HPS in my project. So apparently it generates error as these pins are connected with HPS. So I wanted to know if there is any mean that we can use these pins with FPGA too? Precedence here is HDMI ( it can be used with both HPS and FPGA)

Mahsheed_0-1724859175856.png

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

In Cyclone V, those are dedicated to the HPS, so unless you add the HPS IP and designate these pins as "loaner I/O", they can't be used by the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Mahsheed
Beginner

Add the HPS IP and designate these pins as "loaner I/O"
Can you please tell me how to do that?

0 Kudos
Mahsheed
Beginner

Thank you very much for sharing the knowledge with me. It really saved me

Mahsheed
Beginner

I just checked with CHATGPT. Please confirm if this is the correct method.

To designate pins as "loaner I/O" for the HPS (Hard Processor System) in the DE10-Nano, follow these steps using the Quartus Prime software:

Step 1: Set Up the HPS Component in Qsys (Platform Designer)

1. Open Quartus Prime and your project.
  2. Go to Tools > Platform Designer (formerly Qsys).
  3. Add the HPS component to your design:
    • Click on the "Library" tab.
    • Search for "HPS" and add it to your system.

Step 2: Configure HPS Pins as Loaner I/O

1. In the HPS component configuration, navigate to the "Pin Mux" tab.
  2. Find the peripherals or signals that you want to reassign as FPGA I/O (loaner I/O).
  3. Disable the peripheral function for these pins by setting them to Loan I/O.
  4. Once designated as loaner I/O, these pins are now available for use by the FPGA.

Step 3: Generate the HDL for HPS

1. Once the HPS configuration is complete, click on "Generate HDL" in the Platform Designer.
  2. This will integrate the HPS into your FPGA design and make the loaner I/O pins available for assignment in the Pin Planner.
0 Kudos