FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Floating point representations in VHDL

KousikGhosh12
Beginner

I am using MAX10 FPGA for closed-loop control of the DC-DC Converter with PI implemented in MAX10 using VHDL. I wanted to know how to represent floating-point(decimal for e.g. 1.23, 0.31) values in FPGA using VHDL for the parameters of PI Controller.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Kousik,

You can refer to FP mega function as link below.

Hopefully it helps

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/altera-www/global/zh_CN/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altfp_mfug.pdf

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

I doubt that's a good idea to use actual floating point numbers for your PI controller. Quartus floating point IP (FP mega function) is useful, if your application needs to expose a floating point data interface to communication partners. To represent fractional decimal  numbers like 1.23, 0.31, almost every FPGA application uses integer numbers with an implied power of 2 scaling factor. You use VHDL fixed_pkg or own methods with similar functionality.

Frank

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Thank you FvM and that make sense, I thought he was looking for any IP that need to use floating function. If that's so, Kousik, you can use VHDL predefined package (use ieee.float_pkg.all), may refer to link below for details

http://math.unife.it/ing/informazione/Linguaggi-hw/lucidi-delle-lezioni/lucidi-anni-precedenti-al-2019-2020/aritmetica-fixed-e-floating-point-in-vhdl 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Kousik,

Let me know if there is any update

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos