FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
6079 Discussions

Help with DE0 Nano and EPCS Programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I know this has come up before because I've looked through many posts in the forum regarding this topic. I am currently working on a nios II based design using the DE0-Nano board and the on board 32Mb sdram. I am at the point where I want to load the hardware design and software onto the EPCS so the board can operate in a standalone situation. I can easily get the hardware design loaded into the flash but I have failed at every attempt to load the software. There's a lot of outdated documentation and conflicting forum posts about this process so I was hoping someone could lend me some guidance. My system is as follows: 

Quartus v15.0 

Qsys system: 

50Mhz system Clock 

System and SDRAM Clocks for DE-Series boards 

jtag_uart 

nios2_gen2_0: niosII/e During Development the reset and exception vectors have been set to the SDRAM 

nios_custom_instruction: floating point custom instruction 

performance counter 

SDRAM Controller 

SYSID 

ADC controller 

i2c controller 

pio 

uart 

I am using a lot of HAL libraries and am not using the small c option. I mention this because the method of programming a bootable system in the de0 nano literature (initializing on-chip memory with program code) is not an option due to the size of my code.  

If I understand correctly, what I need to do is convert my .sof and.elf files and then concatenate them together and load them to the flash chip. I then need to point the reset vector to the starting address of the code in flash. When I look in qsys I have the following options: 

Legacy EPCS/EPCQx1 Flash Controller 

Altera Serial Flash Controller : this one gives me the option to choose my specific device EPCS64. 

Which should I use what other hardware is required? I have read in various posts that you need to use a tristate conduit or a pll for a slower clock, but then other posts don't mention any of this. Again, if anyone could provide some guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Valueduser 

I have been trying to do the same thing with you using the same board. 

The problem is that there are various information on the internet. I have tried all of them but still fail to make the software to be bootable. 

I am very confuse now. Have you already done?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have finally solved the problem. By changing to Windows 7 and Qusrtus 13.1. Thanks Altera!!!

0 Kudos