FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
4953 Discussions

Help with DE0 Nano and EPCS Programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi All, 

I know this has come up before because I've looked through many posts in the forum regarding this topic. I am currently working on a nios II based design using the DE0-Nano board and the on board 32Mb sdram. I am at the point where I want to load the hardware design and software onto the EPCS so the board can operate in a standalone situation. I can easily get the hardware design loaded into the flash but I have failed at every attempt to load the software. There's a lot of outdated documentation and conflicting forum posts about this process so I was hoping someone could lend me some guidance. My system is as follows: 

Quartus v15.0 

Qsys system: 

50Mhz system Clock 

System and SDRAM Clocks for DE-Series boards 

jtag_uart 

nios2_gen2_0: niosII/e During Development the reset and exception vectors have been set to the SDRAM 

nios_custom_instruction: floating point custom instruction 

performance counter 

SDRAM Controller 

SYSID 

ADC controller 

i2c controller 

pio 

uart 

I am using a lot of HAL libraries and am not using the small c option. I mention this because the method of programming a bootable system in the de0 nano literature (initializing on-chip memory with program code) is not an option due to the size of my code.  

If I understand correctly, what I need to do is convert my .sof and.elf files and then concatenate them together and load them to the flash chip. I then need to point the reset vector to the starting address of the code in flash. When I look in qsys I have the following options: 

Legacy EPCS/EPCQx1 Flash Controller 

Altera Serial Flash Controller : this one gives me the option to choose my specific device EPCS64. 

Which should I use what other hardware is required? I have read in various posts that you need to use a tristate conduit or a pll for a slower clock, but then other posts don't mention any of this. Again, if anyone could provide some guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi Valueduser 

I have been trying to do the same thing with you using the same board. 

The problem is that there are various information on the internet. I have tried all of them but still fail to make the software to be bootable. 

I am very confuse now. Have you already done?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have finally solved the problem. By changing to Windows 7 and Qusrtus 13.1. Thanks Altera!!!