FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5918 Discussions

How can I get to see the DK-DEV-1SGX board in the Assignments->Device dialog of Quartus Prime Pro?

sroehrig
Beginner

I have a DK-DEV-1SGX-H-A development kit for the Stratix 10 GX device.

The Quartus Prime User Guide -> Getting Started section explains that in the New Project Wizard or the Assignments->Device dialog of a project a development kit can be selected inside the "Board" tab. Then an appropriate pin assignment script should be created automatically.

This would be extremely helpful as a starter. Unfortunately the "Board" tab of that dialog is completely empty. The "Family" selection doesn't have any entries at all and the "Development Kit" selection has the single entry "Any". So there is nothing to choose from.

I have downloaded and installed Quartus Prime Pro 18.1.0.222 (as this is the version mentioned explicitly in the board documentation) and the related Stratix 10 device installer package.

Is there something I have missed? Or do I have to point QPP to some of the files included in the board's installer package? To be honest I am a little bit overloaded with the various files and docs.

I have also tried to follow the advice in the dialog box itself:
"Can't find your board? Check the Design Store for additions and search for baseline under Design Examples."
There are, of course, some design examples. But as soon as I search for "Baseline" the list gets empty.

Thank you very much for any helpful advice in advance!

Best regards,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Done some checking with teammate. Based on my understanding, we don’t support board file for all the dev kit in every Quartus version.

My suggestion, you could either use golden design qsf file or open any example design in dev kit installation kit as Quartus project template reference on how to build Quartus design for this dev kit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Welcome to INTEL forum. May I know, are there any error? Could you provide the error message screenshot

0 Kudos
sroehrig
Beginner

Hello,

to be honest, I can't get to see any real "error message".

The only thing is:
I only downloaded the Stratix10 related device files for Quartus Prime Pro. So in the device section, I can only select "Stratix 10 (SX/GX/TX/MX)" as the only option for the device family.

When I then switch the tab to "Board" the greyed out message in the contents window says:
"No board/development kit found for the selected device family."

As shown in the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with your Quartus installation, because you've done everything correctly to see the dev kit on the Board tab.  I'd try doing a reinstall of Quartus and the device (.qdz).  You could also try downloading a newer version of Quartus and see if there is any difference (though there shouldn't be).

0 Kudos
sroehrig
Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

I also thought about re-installing the software but I the thing that bothers me is that I actually get to see all the devices. So the device file installation must have been OK at least partially.

I am hesitant to install a newer version of the software because we weren't able to establish a stable connection between the Lab PC and the board with particularly the newest software release 20.3 of Quartus Prime. Programming the FPGA would fail and the Board Test System software shows some kind of connection but not fails to re-configure the device/board.

With the currently used version 18.1.0.222 (which is the one mentioned in the documentation that came with the board) the connection is totally stable and everything works fine.

For futher reference, we have to setups involved in our work with the board:

1. Linux server running RHEL6.5. Here I have installed Quartus Prime Pro and the Stratix10 device files (all from version 18.1.0.222) and try to code/synthesize my own functional contents for the FPGA.
This machine has limited Internet connectivity, so accessing the "Design Store" from inside QPP is somehow tricky.

2. A Windows 10 machine inside the Lab. This machine is used to access the development kit via USB/JTAG. The Board Test System can be used as intended and we also succeeded to program some of the example designs from the Board Test System via the Quartus Prime Programmer tool. Also, everything working on version 18.1.0.222. This was necessary to get a stable connection between PC and board going.

Please let me know if you need more debugging information from my side.

Thanks and best regards,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Done some checking with teammate. Based on my understanding, we don’t support board file for all the dev kit in every Quartus version.

My suggestion, you could either use golden design qsf file or open any example design in dev kit installation kit as Quartus project template reference on how to build Quartus design for this dev kit.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update, hope all is well. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos