FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

How to get hdmi output without connecting usb cable.

JJess
Beginner

When I connect my DE10-Nano to hdmi, I can not image. I have connected the power to the 5V power jack. But when I connect any usb port (mini or micro) to my PC, I get an image from the hdmi output. When I unplug the usb cable no image on hdmi. Connecting the usb to a power charger also doesn't do anything.

I want to get hdmi output by only connecting the power to the power jack. Has anyone an idea what is going on?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes we should able to get HDMI output without USB cable,

I am not able to get the scenario, why you are not getting image without USB connection to PC.

Can you elaborate on the steps?

Can you try by downloading the example from terasic under Kit System CD. ..\Demonstrations\FPGA\HDMI_TX folder

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=165&No=1046&PartNo=4

1. We will connect the Micro USB to PC & power jack you will see DE10 Nano will appear as mass storage on PC or can be used for connecting the input device to PC.
  2. The DE10-Nano board communicates with the PC through the micro USB connector J4 (Putty/Uart terminal).

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
JJess
Beginner

Hello,

Steps:

• I plug in the hdmi cable.
  • I plug in the power jack.
  • The monitor hdmi gives no image.
  • I plug in the micro usb.
  • The mass storage connects, and the ip over usb works. I can connect using vnc. Which works. And the monitor show image on the hdmi port.
  • Disconnect the micro usb.
  • The hdmi output stops
  • I connect now a mini usb cable to the computer.
  • The hdmi video starts again. I have image.

What can I say? If I connect usb to my computer to any of the usb inputs, the hdmi gives an image. Otherwise not.

I am not using the provided adapter because it had the wrong power plug. I used another 5V 2A adapter (normally used for a raspberry pi). Could it be a power thing?

I downloaded the cd. But I am not sure what you want me to do with it.

Greetings, Joran.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Okay, you are using the default images  which uses the HPS to communicate to HDMI.

I want you to try the example design from Kit System CD\Demonstrations\FPGA\HDMI_TX folder.

Load .sof file and check,

Steps to load .sof file is given in My_First_Fpga.pdf under Kit System CD\Manual ​ folder  page number 42.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
JJess
Beginner
Hello, I found the problem. It was a faulty hdmi cable. Very strange behaviour, but replacing the hdmi cable solved the problem. Thank you for your time. Greetings, Joran. Op vr 17 aug. 2018 om 02:55 schreef Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com>:
0 Kudos