FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

How to send data between Cyclone V FPGA and HPS on DE0-Nano-SoC?

TLemo
Beginner

We're trying to modify and existing FPGA program running on the FPGA portion of the Cyclone V to send data to the HPS portion of the Cyclone V, but cannot find any helpful documentation.

I am pretty new to the Cyclone V SoC, so my knowledge is limited on how this would be done. I'm guessing I need to use the FPGA-to-HPS bridge to write data to a memory buffer? Are there any examples out there for this process that do it with something other than LEDs?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

You can refer to the datamover example:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/Datamover#Obtain_FPGA_44_Linux_and_NiosII_Binaries

it shows how to transfer data between FPGA and HPS. The design files were removed since it was using an older version of Linux Kernel. I am working on migrating the design to higher kernel. Once done, I will send you the design files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TLemo
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any time estimate on when the migration to the higher kernel will be completed?

Is it correct to say that with the info provided at the link, we would be able to use the design files as a sort of template to configure our own program to write data from the FPGA to HPS?

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

The migration was not successful due to kernel module dependencies.

I am still working on a workaround to overcome the kernel module.

thank you

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

I am sharing with you the original design files including the Nios II software and the Linux module. The zImage was removed from the files since it has old kernel version. We are still working on the new solution, it might take more time to verify it.

Thank you

0 Kudos