FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Need help with ADC module on MAXII development

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would like to know if the Sundance SMT390 (ADC Module) is compatible 

with Altera MAXII CPLD (MAXII-1270N)??? I really need a replacement 

for the ADC on my board because it's too slow; it's an 8-bit 50Ksps. 

Can you please help me as soon as possible. Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The said module is an expansion board for a specific FPGA board offered by the vendor. Apart from other possible compatibility issues, it uses a LVDS data interface unsupported by MAX II. There seem's to be a large range of possible alternatives between 50 Ksps and 210 Msps, but you didn't tell your requirements.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sir, 

Thanks for your replies. We really need further assistance. We have a CPLD MAX II DEVELOPMENT KIT, we need another ADC that is compatible with this board that can sample at a rate of 55 or more Msps because the built in ADC only samples at a rate of 50ksps. can u please get back to us as soon as possible.  

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

55 MSPS requires a parallel interface. The MAX II Dev Kit has the "SantaCruz" parallel interface, it provides a sufficient number of FPGA signals to connect a fast ADC chip, e.g. from Analog, TI, Linear or Maxim. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a ready-made SantaCruz Board with a suitable ADC. Bitec is offering a SantaCruz prototype board, that could be used to mount the ADC, or you have to design your own board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply FvM. So according to you my options are to get a fast ADC chip and connect it or get a "SantaCruz" prototype board and just mount one on it and use it with the Max 2 CPLD. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm still a bit confused with the process.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Preferably design your own SantaCruz board, because a fast ADC should have a well considered wiring of analog signals and a good supply bypassing. It's difficulat with a prototype board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello sir, 

How can I design my own board? I'm sorry but I have no experience whatsoever on such a thing. Can you please tell me how to design one to work with the CPLD that I have.
0 Kudos