FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Not able to program EPCQ on cyclone 5e dev board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I use the DK-DEV-5CEA7N/P dev board that use FPP configuration as default. 

I am trying to change this to using AS to program the EPCQ device. 

When I try to program the EPCQ with quartus flash programmer I get the following error: 

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1. A device's silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID. Verify that all cables are securely connected, select a different device, or check the power on the target system. Make sure the device pins are connected and configured correctly. 

I am using the legacy EPCS/EPCQx1 flash controller in qsys. 

I have checked the Automatically select dedicated active serial interface. 

Reset request is enabled. 

In device and pin options i have: 

Configuration scheme: Active Serial x1 

Configuration mode Standard 

Use configuration device EPCQ256 

Generate compressed bitstream is checked. 

Active serial clock source is 12.5MHz Internal Oscillator. 

Enable input tri-state on active configuration pins in user mode is not checked. 

After i have compiled the design and gotten a sof file I use the convert programming file tool to generate a jic file. 

I choose Active serial and EPCQ256. 

Then I try to program the jic file to EPCQ with quartus programmer and get the error message. 

Here is what I have done on the development board: 

Changed the two resistors from R16 to R18 and from R22 to R23. 

Set SW1 that controls the MSEL bits to: 

MSEL0 OFF 

MSEL1 OFF 

MSEL2 ON 

MSEL4 OFF 

MSEL3 is connected to ground. 

I am using quartus prime 16.0 

Is there anything else I need to do? 

Have anyone else been able to program the EPCQ on this dev board? 

solution 

In case anybody else gets the same error, here is the solution: 

Both the MAXV and the FPGA drove the DCLK and the CS signal at the same time. To fix this I used the quartus programmer to erase the the MAX configuration. 

After that I got another error: Error (209077): Can't erase or program protected sectors in the EPCS/EPCQ device. 

To fix this I checked the unprotect EPCS/EPCQ devices selected for the erase/program operation in the quartus programmer options. 

Torstein
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

I use the DK-DEV-5CEA7N/P dev board that use FPP configuration as default. 

I am trying to change this to using AS to program the EPCQ device. 

When I try to program the EPCQ with quartus flash programmer I get the following error: 

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1. A device's silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID. Verify that all cables are securely connected, select a different device, or check the power on the target system. Make sure the device pins are connected and configured correctly. 

I am using the legacy EPCS/EPCQx1 flash controller in qsys. 

I have checked the Automatically select dedicated active serial interface. 

Reset request is enabled. 

In device and pin options i have: 

Configuration scheme: Active Serial x1 

Configuration mode Standard 

Use configuration device EPCQ256 

Generate compressed bitstream is checked. 

Active serial clock source is 12.5MHz Internal Oscillator. 

Enable input tri-state on active configuration pins in user mode is not checked. 

After i have compiled the design and gotten a sof file I use the convert programming file tool to generate a jic file. 

I choose Active serial and EPCQ256. 

Then I try to program the jic file to EPCQ with quartus programmer and get the error message. 

Here is what I have done on the development board: 

Changed the two resistors from R16 to R18 and from R22 to R23. 

Set SW1 that controls the MSEL bits to: 

MSEL0 OFF 

MSEL1 OFF 

MSEL2 ON 

MSEL4 OFF 

MSEL3 is connected to ground. 

I am using quartus prime 16.0 

Is there anything else I need to do? 

Have anyone else been able to program the EPCQ on this dev board? 

solution 

In case anybody else gets the same error, here is the solution: 

Both the MAXV and the FPGA drove the DCLK and the CS signal at the same time. To fix this I used the quartus programmer to erase the the MAX configuration. 

After that I got another error: Error (209077): Can't erase or program protected sectors in the EPCS/EPCQ device. 

To fix this I checked the unprotect EPCS/EPCQ devices selected for the erase/program operation in the quartus programmer options. 

Torstein 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

I have the same problem with Quartus 16.1 and Cyclone 5 5CSEBA5U23I7 FPGA programmed from Flash MTQL256. I am able to program with the sof file, but when I program with the .jic file I get the error "Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1. A device's silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID. Verify that all cables are securely connected, select a different device, or check the power on the target system. Make sure the device pins are connected and configured correctly.". 

1. What do you mean by 'OFF' and 'ON' for your MSEL pins? Is OFF = '1' logic state ?? 

2. I read in your solution that we have to make the device unprotected. How do we do that?  

I look forward to suggestions! 

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos