FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Programmin the EPCS64 in the DE0-nano

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having trouble programming the epcs64 configuration flash in the DE0-nano dev board. I have read an followed the instruction in the user manual for the board. I have successfully programmed the EPC4 in the BeMicro dev board, and the steps are basically the same. The verify step fails as does the blank check. And , of course the, device is not programmed with my code... any ideas? I am using Quartus II 13.1 Web edition and my implementation is NOT using any embedded NIOS processor... it is just straight Verilog. This happens even with a new project that only blinks an LED. Very frusterating! Esp when I can get the BeMicro board to work fine!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure your DE0-nano is loaded with an EPCS64 device? I vaguely recall that some were shipped with Spansion devices, in which case, you would need to disable the ID check (its in the Advanced Options when you're generated a .jic programming file). 

I have a DE0-nano with an EPCS64 device and it programs fine, so I can at least confirm that it works in principle. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the thought, Dave. Yes I do have the Spansion device and not the Altera EPCS64, but the manual for the board does not state that I need to do disable that check. Nevertheless, I did as you suggested and it still does not program. The device doesn't even erase as the blank check fails, as does a verify if I select that (unchecking the blank check). In looking around more, the problem may be due to a protection bit being on in the device thereby preventing erasure and reprogramming....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for the thought, Dave. Yes I do have the Spansion device and not the Altera EPCS64 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok, thanks for confirming that. 

--- Quote Start ---  

but the manual for the board does not state that I need to do disable that check. Nevertheless, I did as you suggested and it still does not program. The device doesn't even erase as the blank check fails, as does a verify if I select that (unchecking the blank check). In looking around more, the problem may be due to a protection bit being on in the device thereby preventing erasure and reprogramming.... 

--- Quote End ---  

I'd recommend two things; 

1. Contact Terasic and ask them if programming the Spansion devices requires anything more than disabling the ID check 

2. Instantiate an SPI controller and access the Spansion flash directly. 

I've done this with Spansion Flash and EPCS flash. Its pretty easy to read the manufacturer details, and program the QUAD bit on the Quad SPI versions of these devices. 

If you've managed to set a protection bit, you should be able to read a status register and confirm that theory, and then erase it. 

Once you've got option 2 working, you won't really care too much about using Altera's tools to program the Flash (other than the convenience of being able to use Quartus). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After getting nowhere, I just replaced the Spansion chip with an Altera EPCS64... That fixed the problem. A little drastic, perhaps.:rolleyes: 

Russ
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After getting nowhere 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you try programming the Spansion device directly using SPI? 

--- Quote Start ---  

I just replaced the Spansion chip with an Altera EPCS64... That fixed the problem. A little drastic, perhaps.:rolleyes: 

--- Quote End ---  

Not too drastic - it was almost certainly the fastest method to getting back to what you were supposed to be working on :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you try programming the Spansion device directly using SPI? 

--- Quote End ---  

No, lack of a thing called time.... Plus, I just wanted to use the tools provided, not make up my own. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Not too drastic - it was almost certainly the fastest method to getting back to what you were supposed to be working on :) 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, it was. After looking at the datasheets for the two devices, I thought the Spansion might have the Config register programmed where it can't be erased. The Altera device has no such register. I just didn't want to fool around any more! 

Thanks for you help on this, Dave. I may fool around with the Spansion device to figure it out more, but not on this project. 

Russ
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

... I just wanted to use the tools provided, not make up my own ... 

... I just didn't want to fool around any more! ... 

... I may fool around with the Spansion device to figure it out more, but not on this project ... 

--- Quote End ---  

Excellent attitude :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos