FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

QSFP module on Stratix10 MX dev kit

AleCampla
New Contributor I

Hi

I am trying to have a 1Gbit Ethernet communication between my laptop and the S10 MX devkit, over QSFP.

I already have the RJ45 to QSFP converters connectors, and I have (hopefully) configured well the PHY and MAC IPs.

Spying on the GMII signals I can't see anything arriving: valid signal from PHY to MAC remains at zero when I send ping requests. The ping is done from the linux PC specifing the right port where the Eth cable is connected to the FPGA. And on the PC side I see Host Unreachable.

Question: is the QSFP connector enabled by default? Is there a way to check that?

In theory the Board System Tool should show a tab dedicated to QSFP. But When the S10 MX devkit is connected via Jtag, I can't access that specific tab.

Let me know if you have suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Alessandra

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Deshi_Intel

Hi Alessandra,

Sorry for late respond.

Dev kit BTS software required user to use the exact Quartus version as specified in dev kit web site to avoid software compatibility issue.

Another suggestion for you is you can cross check with Intel FPGA example design that utilize 10G MAc and Multirate PHY IP as well. checkout below design example

The only catch is the example design is developed to work on another Intel FPGA S10 SI kit board, not S10 MX dev kit but it's still a good reference for you.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi Alessandra,

QSFP should be enabled by default. You can build simple H-tile transceiver PHY NativePHY design + QSFP loopback module to test it out.

Else by right the QSFP tab in "board test system" (BTS) should be usable as well.

1. May I know what error message that you saw in the BTS GUI ?
  2. Also make sure you are using the exact Quartus version that's specified in the Stratix 10 MX dev kit website in order to use the BTS.

Also, May I know which Intel FPGA IP that you used to test the 1G connection ? Or are you using your own IP solution ?

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
AleCampla
New Contributor I

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I don't have the setup available right now, but I think the QSFP tab was simply not clickable (grayed out). I am currently using Quartus 19.2.

For the IP I am using:

1) 1G/2.5G/5G/10G Multi-rate Ethernet PHY (set for 1G)

2) Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC

As the devkit does not have an RJ45 connector (and as i need only one transceiver line) I am using : 

1) https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/72588.html

2) https://www.fs.com/de-en/es/products/66616.html?currency=EUR&paid=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAp5nyBRABEiwApTwjXvDhUh_lsGNWNQR4AxI0Ry_sbESuhiIWEoX8fyt04s3EFQlwLhuwVxoCTkQQAvD_BwE

Thanks and best regards,

Alessandra 

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi Alessandra,

Sorry for late respond.

Dev kit BTS software required user to use the exact Quartus version as specified in dev kit web site to avoid software compatibility issue.

Another suggestion for you is you can cross check with Intel FPGA example design that utilize 10G MAc and Multirate PHY IP as well. checkout below design example

The only catch is the example design is developed to work on another Intel FPGA S10 SI kit board, not S10 MX dev kit but it's still a good reference for you.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
AleCampla
New Contributor I

Hi dlim,

thanks for your reply!

Regarding the quartus version, ok I think there I can't do much.

But thanks for the other document, I'll for sure take a look at that

Cheers,

Alessandra

0 Kudos