FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Quartus II Programmer question

imarz1
Novice

I want to program only the FPGA (no HPS, NIOS2, or EPSC) with a simple program, so I set MSEL to 10010. I expect the program to be gone after any power-recycle which is ok for now.

I clicked Auto-detect, it found:

1- SOCVHPS

2- 5CSEBA6

At this point the Start/Stop buttons are still disabled.

So, I clicked "add file", and added the .sof file. Now I see:

TDI --> SOCVHPS --> 5CSEBA6 --> 5CSEBA6U23 --> TDO

I deleted the SOCVHPS, since I do not need HPS for now, and here is what I see: TDI --> 5CSEBA6 --> 5CSEBA6U23 --> TDO

It did program successfully, and the program worked as expected, and I did lose the program after any power recycle.

What I do not understand is:

What does this mean: TDI --> 5CSEBA6 --> 5CSEBA6U23 --> TDO

If 5CSEBA6U23 is the program, and 5CSEBA6 is the Cyclone V device, then how come the device is programming the program ?

I am very new, and I really do not understand who is programming who.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. Cyclone devices are designed such that JTAG instructions have precedence over any device operating modes. i.e  If you attempt JTAG configuration in Cyclone FPGAs during non-JTAG configuration, non-JTAG configuration is terminated and JTAG configuration is initiated.
  2. To configure a single device in a JTAG chain, the programming software places all other devices in BYPASS mode. In BYPASS mode, devices pass programming data from the TDI pin to the TDO pin through a single bypass register without being affected internally. This scheme enables the programming software to program or verify the target device. 
  3. Removing Device from GUI does not mean we have physically removed it will only BYPASS in both the case.
  4. to remove device physically from device chain look into cyclone v soc development kit JTAG Chain Control DIP Switch signal "HPS_JTAG_EN " for example.

Hope it helps.

Kindly refer cyclone V configuration hand book for more information.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. Cyclone devices are designed such that JTAG instructions have precedence over any device operating modes. i.e  If you attempt JTAG configuration in Cyclone FPGAs during non-JTAG configuration, non-JTAG configuration is terminated and JTAG configuration is initiated.
  2. To configure a single device in a JTAG chain, the programming software places all other devices in BYPASS mode. In BYPASS mode, devices pass programming data from the TDI pin to the TDO pin through a single bypass register without being affected internally. This scheme enables the programming software to program or verify the target device. 
  3. Removing Device from GUI does not mean we have physically removed it will only BYPASS in both the case.
  4. to remove device physically from device chain look into cyclone v soc development kit JTAG Chain Control DIP Switch signal "HPS_JTAG_EN " for example.

Hope it helps.

Kindly refer cyclone V configuration hand book for more information.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand

0 Kudos