FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Support for Extended Metadata (EM) Packets in HDMI 2.1 IP core?

Toop
Beginner

Does the current or possibly a future version of Intel's HDMI 2.1 IP core (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/intellectual-property/ip/interface-protocols/m-alt-hdmi-megacore.html) support HDR dynamic metadata? For a TV/Video project we need this functionality, it's crucial that the metadata is sent synchronously to/with the video frames, which isn't guaranteed with standard (auxiliary) InfoFrames.

I must admit that I don't know the HDMI 2.1 specification very well, but it seems that a "CTA-861-G Dynamic HDR InfoFrame" can be sent in so-called "Extended Metadata (EM) Packets". I however can't find any mentioning about it in the current "HDMI Intel FPGA IP User Guide" (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/vgo1401099304599.html). Are there plans to add this functionality in the future, and if so when (a rough estimate is sufficient for now)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

Let me try to find out more info to see if Intel HDMI IP support the HDMI 2.1 dynamic HDR feature.

Stay tuned for update

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I managed to find out more info.

Intel FPGA HDMI IP does support dynamic HDR EMP but still via Aux interface.

However, user can control which frame to insert by looking at the rising edge of the vsync of the specific frame as demonstrated in our HDMI design example.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Toop
Beginner

Hi dlim,

Thanks for the answer. The solution you mention is not quite what I expected ;), but I will try to look into it (as soon as I can find some time for it).

Regards

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Well, this is the best we can offer.

Good luck in your project development.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos