FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Updated Blaster Not Working

KSchn1
Novice

I recently had to update from a Windows XP computer to a Windows 10 computer. I was using a ByteBlaster II through the parallel port, but since the Windows 10 Machines don't use parallel ports, I upgraded to a USB Blaster II. The drivers installed fine, and the computer recognizes the JTAG controller, but the Quartus II software no longer recognizes any devices. I know the devices are good because it was working on the Windows XP machine, but the software in Windows 10 will not see any devices.

What do I do?​

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KSchn1
Novice

The cause of the problem was found. It was the frequency of the USB Blaster.

The Quartus II software comes with drivers for the USB Blaster, but does not allow for changing the communication speed of the Blaster.

The Quartus Prime software does. The default value of the speed is 24 MHz, and the devices we were trying to program worked at a lower frequency. Once we changed the frequency of the USB Blaster to match the devices, it worked fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Try to check with old thread,

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyKUPSA2/windows-10-driver-support-for-usb-blaster-

try once by installing stand alone programmer tool,

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.1/?edition=standard&platform=windows&download_manager=dlm3&product=qprogrammer#tabs-4

After this, if you able to program then need reinstall Quartus tool.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
KSchn1
Novice

Hello Vicky,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I have already done those steps. That is what I did to get the driver for the USB Blaster, so the software recognizes the USB blaster is connected. The problem is that device chain is not being recognized. The quartus software says that there are no devices in the chain.

If I connect the DUT to the older XP system with the parallel port byte blaster, it has no problems seeing all of the devices in the chain.

0 Kudos
Sdyra
Beginner

I too facing this issue.

If your Pc is connecting to the Internet through a gateway on the local network, you should repeat these steps on the gateway too. If you still cannot send, there may be some problem on DNS autonatic recognition then you may have to manually enter your DNS address:

In SendBlaster "Send" form, manually enter your DNS server IP address (ask your Internet Service Provider if you don't know its address).

If these steps don't help, your Internet Service Provider is likely to be blocking direct delivery (port 53, 25 or both): this is a policy adopted by some large providers such as AOL, and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it (apart from changing your provider…).).

https://vidmate.ooo/

0 Kudos
KSchn1
Novice

Thank you for your reply, but I am not trying to send anything over the internet. I am trying to get the USB Blaster and software to communicate to the device that the USB blaster is connected to.

0 Kudos
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

Do you have any other usb to serial cables plugged into your computer? Any other USB device that uses the same FTDI device that you find in the USB-Blaster II cable can cause Quartus problems, especially if you have software running that's using one of those devices. Unplug any other USB devices (that you don't need) from your system.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
KSchn1
Novice

The cause of the problem was found. It was the frequency of the USB Blaster.

The Quartus II software comes with drivers for the USB Blaster, but does not allow for changing the communication speed of the Blaster.

The Quartus Prime software does. The default value of the speed is 24 MHz, and the devices we were trying to program worked at a lower frequency. Once we changed the frequency of the USB Blaster to match the devices, it worked fine.

0 Kudos