Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts

Graphics Driver issue

sungjinwoo
Beginner

Hello 

my laptop specs

Intel i3 1005g1
8 gb ram

1tb hdd

intel uhd graphics(it shows only intel uhd graphics in task manager 

I have this problem occuring since beginning of 2021 right after windows 20h2 update 

so I got my lappy in 2020 september it came with windows 2004 pre installed and the graphics driver it was using was version 27.20.100.7985 ,

on that version my games used to run on 60 fps 
I used to play apex legends, valorant , minecraft, among us , bluestacks , etc

some months after my windows got updated to windows 20h2 
at the beginning there was no issue 
but after 1 month i guess , my games become absolutely unplayable 
Valorant started crashing and lagging even if sometimes i managed to get to the home screen of valorant it would give 1 fps 
apex legends was giving 1 fps
among us also giving 1 fps and my entier laptop would completely freeze for sometime then the game would close 
minecraft didnt had this issue in the beginning but got infected with it after some time 
bluestacks was unplayable

At that point i was not aware of what actually the issue was

I stopped gaming at that time and only focused on browsing and school works

after some time in 2021 i guess the first 6 months of the year
even browsing became very unstable like it was 1 fps
and my whole windows become very laggy and freezing 

i contacted the hp customer care at that time 
they asked me to use their hp recovery tool and completely fresh install everything 

i did that , 
right after installing windows again everything was working fine 
the graphics driver got automatically installed 
at that time everything seemed to run smooth 
but after i restarted my laptop 
everything became as before

after researching a lot i finally realized it was the graphics driver that was causing the issue 
so i disabled my intel uhd graphics , and then found out everything was running very great and well 

Then i installed the old graphics driver version 7985 
but not everything was same 
the valorant seemed to run but not as before 
apex was still playable at 1 fps 
other games too
even at the lowest resolution i was only able to achive max 25-30 fps in valo 

been struggling with that issue since 2021 
its 2024 now 

i still havent found a fix 

now in present situation i have windows 20h2 version installed 
as my oem supports only upto 20h2 windows version 
i tried installing the all the oem drivers present till date for 20h2 version 

1-30.0.101.2079

2- 27.20.100.9664

none of them seemed to fix my problem 
both of them right after installing made my browsing better but didnt help anything for gaming

after rebooting browsing became as same as before 
but after some time it gets fixed by itself and then runs gr8 until i close my browser and reopen again 

i also tried installing previous windows version drivers provided by my oem 

1- 26.20.100.7985 

after installing this driver my screen turned black , had to fix this issue in safe boot 

2- 26.20.100.7637

after installing this driver same thing occurred as 7985 , 

Then i tried installing the latest drivers provided by intel  

1-31.0.101.2127

right after installing , everthing seemed like it was working gr8, apex starting running at playable fps of 30 to 25 fps at extreme lowest setting ( but before in 2020 apex was running 40-50 fps on just the lowest in game settings without modifying anything in the videoconfig)

but valorant didnt work
and online browser game venge , the graphics took 4-5 minutes to load 

2- 31.0.101.2128

made things even worse 

3- 31.0.101.2125

everything instantly became so laggy i just lost my sanity

4-31.0.101.2121 

i was pretty much questioning my existence on this universe after installing this as it was very painful and unbearable on uninstall this driver with everything running on 1 fps 

So that is pretty much all i wanted to say , i still didnt find any fix for now i have tried reinstalling windows again and again fresh installing again and again i even tried using ddu and completely fresh install my graphics driver but nothing seems to fix it 

i want my old time back ;-; 
when apex and other triple aaa games used to run in my lappy , not like at high graphics, but with default low settings without any custom res or modifying things in config ;-; 

I really am suffering from a mental breakdown ;-; i just dont know what to do any small advice or opinion would be very appreciated and helpful 

i just cant run all day on microsft basic display adapter ;-; 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
atikhasanrohan
Beginner

I have a graphics driver crashing issue for Valorant. It shows to update the driver. 

I have tried everything: rolling back to the old driver, then installing the old driver, updating windows, installing new windows, installing the most updated version, and reinstalling the game.

But nothing fixed the issue. Please provide me with a solution for this. 

My PC configuration:

System Model VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X531FLC_S531FL

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home Single Language
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2112 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Driver Version 30.0.15.1169)
Graphics card:  NVIDIA GeForce MX250 (Driver Version 30.0.15.1169)
Ram 8 gb
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. X531FLC.301, 4/21/2020

0 Kudos
FrancisP_Intel

I understand the challenges you're encountering and empathize with your situation. However, I kindly ask that you create a new thread for your case. This will enable us to give your specific problem the attention it deserves and provide more effective assistance tailored to your needs.

Best regards,

Francis Ryan P.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
FrancisP_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,

Thank you for reaching out to Intel Communities. We see that the issues you're facing are mostly FPS on games if not the other ones specific with a driver version. We understand the gravity of your situation and the frustration of facing a problem that seems as stubborn as a boss raid. 

It appears that the issue has surfaced with the 20h2 update, casting a shadow over the expected performance of your graphics. This is certainly not the level of performance we'd expect from your setup. To help us navigate through this dungeon of issues, could you please provide some information?

• Which Windows version has been your trusty companion, offering the best performance for your system? 
  • Can you check on the task manager the GPU/CPU utilization and which processes/apps are taking a huge consumption on either CPU or GPU? Feel free to share a screenshot if you're inclined.
  • When it comes to installing drivers, were you executing a clean installation each time?
  • Can you do a system scan for us so we can see the system's configuration? Here's the link to it. Intel® System Support Utility for Windows.

Depending on the loot we uncover from your responses and the log file, we may have additional questions depending on what we find. We eagerly await your reply.

Best regards,

Francis Ryan P.

sungjinwoo
Beginner
  1. With Windows version 2004 I had the best experience in overall gaming and college work, I am good with having fewer features but better performance (currently I am on Windows version 2004, and mysteriously graphics driver version 7985 has started working and it works fine no black screen issues yet, but the performance is not as good as it was before but its mysteriously much better
  2. Currently in my task manager CPU is being utilized at 18% and GPU is only utilized at 1% 
  3. Image - sungjinwoo_0-1718093646288.png

4. Every time I was testing new drivers, intel had an option saying execute a clean installation, I was checking it every time I installed a graphics driver during my testing process.

I have attached the ssu file, kindly find it below 

Thank you 

Sung Jinwoo 

0 Kudos
FrancisP_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,

Thank you for sharing the requested information. Please attempt to do the following and try to recreate the issue as much as you can and capture the resource utilization while experiencing the issue in the game. Check for background processes as well.

1. Do a Windows Update if there's any.
  2. Download the Intel Generic Driver  
  3. Disconnect from the network (Wi-Fi and LAN).
  4. Do a clean installation using the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) See the Link on How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver
  5. Install the downloaded driver.
  6. Restart and test the system by running games.

If issue persists, kindly extract another log file using the SSU tool and send it to us so we can check for any changes. We'll be waiting for the results of your troubleshooting.  

Best regards,

Francis Ryan P.

0 Kudos
sungjinwoo
Beginner

I followed your steps on two Windows versions on the latest Windows 10 22h2 and the other one on 2004 

on 22h2 after following your steps, uninstalling the graphics driver using DDU in the safe boot as recommended by DDU and then restarting again, installing the graphics driver, and then again restarting seemed to fix my 1 fps system at the first go,
when I started playing Valorant, it worked fine in the training ground, but when hopping into a match, after some while my fps dropped down from 60 to 15-20 fps for a while and then again went back to 60, after that it became playable again.

In 2004 uninstalling the graphics driver, then installing the latest one, and then restarting, didn't fix my 1 fps issue at the first go, but after restarting it again fixed it, but when I started playing Valorant in it, it gave 1 fps issue in the loading screen then it fixed itself. Still, the performance was not as good as 22h2, I was getting stutters when firing, changing weapons, or using abilities, but when hopping into a real match I was getting that fps drop of 15-20 all the time, it didn't fix itself and became unplayable.

Kindly find the ssu file for the Windows 22h2 test and Windows 2004 test below

Thank you
Sung Jinwoo

0 Kudos
FrancisP_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,

Greatly appreciate your response. Though, I would like to make sure that we understand fully well what happened after the installation. Can you clarify if the issue was somewhat fixed with 22h2? Please see the statement that may have confused us. "it worked fine in the training ground, but when hopping into a match, after some while my fps dropped down from 60 to 15-20 fps for a while and then again went back to 60, after that it became playable again"

Is the game playable or unplayable? This will ensure that we have the most accurate information before we coordinate this with our team. Thank you for your cooperation and patience you've put up with us.

Best regards,

Francis Ryan P.

sungjinwoo
Beginner
Sorry for the miscommunication from my side , I was trying to say recurring random surge in fps drops are happening unexpectedly at any moment in the game on 22h2 , but in 2004 it's happening throughout making the game unplayable .-.

Thank you
Sung Jinwoo
0 Kudos
FrancisP_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,

Thank you for clarifying. Kindly give us some time to further investigate this situation. However, we'd like to let you know that we are aiming to get a stable performance with the latest Windows instead of 2004. 

We'll send you an update as soon as we have finished discussing this with our team and finalized a recommendation.

Best regards,

Francis Ryan P.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,

I do apologize for the long wait. Since my colleague Francis is away, I will quickly handle your concern about the graphics driver issue. Thank you for providing additional details about the i3 processor with integrated UHD Graphics. Based on our replication, it's noted that lower FPS can be expected with this setup since we're using an Intel Core i3 processor.

To address your questions:

• It would be helpful to know if this system was achieving over 25 FPS with the listed game before. This information can help us understand if there has been a significant change in performance.
  • Is the low FPS observed consistently across all games or specific to certain titles? Understanding this can provide insights into the overall performance.
  • It's important to consider the game settings configured for optimal performance. If the games were previously played with high-end settings, we recommend testing with lower settings to see if there's an improvement in FPS. This will assist us in further troubleshooting the issue effectively.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello sungjinwoo,,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
sungjinwoo
Beginner
Yes I was able to get your previous post and was researching a few things out

My system was not able to achieve above 25 fps in most of the games like Minecraft valorant rocket league fall guys, that 1 fps issue used to be there always, it's been a while since I have followed your advice and so of now the problem has disappeared from all the games be it browser games like krunker venge or valorant,genshin impact, etc it's been so while that I have seemed to forget that the problem once existed, but there is still one problem, Emulators don't seem to work as they used to before, cant surely say why, but before during 2020 when I first got my laptop, even very high demanding emulators like tencent gaming buddy( which is as of now is named gameloop I guess) BlueStacks used to work very smoothly, but yesterday only I thought of trying some emulator games and the emulator just never opened, I tried different kinds of emulator BlueStacks, nox, memu and lastly LD player ( lD player is said to be the emulator which can give much higher performance on very low end specs , atleast lower end specs then mine ) but none of it seemed to open except for memu and LD player, and then after I installed games ( mobile legends to be specific) it gave 1 fps and massive system lag after which I had to manually shut down my laptop

No doubt there has been a huge amount of improvement, and I am fine and happy with what I have now, but still, there is a sweet spot missing, I play games on very low settings.

Man I feel really bad to continue this tech session I mean it's not because it is taking time, it's just I miss the good old days of 2020, the memories just coming back every time I compare the performance from before and now .-. 2020 meant a lot to me, it was my full gaming year I used to game a lot all day long grinding ranks leveling up .-. man how quickly the time flies

I have unnecessarily made this post longer I apologize for that it's just it's been a long day from where we began, I think I just have to move on from my past and accept the present because yesterday is history tomorrow is a mystery but what I have today is a gift
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, sungjinwoo.

I understand how you feel like you've been through quite a journey with your system's performance, and I'm glad to hear that things have improved significantly for most games after following our advice. Understandably, you miss the smoother experience you had with emulators back in 2020.

Regarding the current issue with emulators not working as expected, including the significant performance drop in Mobile Legends, it could be related to various factors such as software updates, compatibility issues, or settings adjustments needed for newer versions of these emulators. Let's work together to explore these possibilities and see if we can find that sweet spot again for your gaming experience. I'd like to know if you noticed any specific error messages or notifications when trying to open the emulators that didn't work. Are there any particular settings or configurations you remember adjusting back in 2020 that might have contributed to smoother emulator performance? Could you describe any changes or updates you've made to your system recently, such as software installations or system updates?

Your feedback and detailed experience are valuable for us to provide the best assistance possible. Please do let us know if you still our assistance. Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
sungjinwoo
Beginner
No specific error messages
I have done no system update or any configuration to my laptop
No specific settings I used to do before in 2020 just everything set to default
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, sungjinwoo.

Thank you for your reply.

For us to delve deeper into the issue we need some log files for the performance issue:

1. May we know the game settings you've used in each emulator? This will help us in replicating the issue.
  2. To ensure efficient issue resolution, please provide simplified, step-by-step instructions for us to reproduce the issue. 
  3. Kindly provide CapframeX captures of the issues comparing performance to similar 3rd party cards

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos