Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
439 Discussions

when will city skylines 2 get igpu support on 14th gen

allgamesonxeigpu

I tried playing city skylines 2 on a new intel igpu and it ran at about 15 fps. It was pretty playable. unfortunately whenever I tried to build roads a huge yellow screen would appear over the screen. a similar problem occurs in the last of us part 1 but people say that's caused by the igpus bloom implementation which is likely a different problem. ive been playing new games using my igpu and they run great. it's just too bad I can't play city skylines 2. 

I never tried trying to play the game with high settings before I refunded it. who knows that may have solved the problem. it could also be the games automatic implementation of fsr at most settings levels. if you don't go into advanced settings fsr is enabled by default and it's what the dynamic resolution scaling uses to scale the resolution to improve frame rate.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
allgamesonxeigpu

again that isn't really the reason. just because it's not supported doesn't mean it can't run. city skylines 1 was a great example which ran on a 7700t with intel hd graphics 630 even though the game insisted that integrated graphics couldn't be used. If it's a hardware based feature specific to discrete gpus thatd be one thing. but it may very well be an implementation issue of the way the igpu works that's the problem. If it was a directx11 game it could definetly be patched but seeing as it's directx12 there's no way to implement it. but what's really disappointing is that you can't even make a future igpu that could get around the problem and if you can why not implement the fix now with the current igpus.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

allgamesonxeigpu, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In reference to this scenario and in order for us to provide the most accurate response to your inquiry, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
allgamesonxeigpu

here is the attached log. using 1165g7 on the ratchet and clank rift apart update. It should be noted im not the only one having issues with this game unless a hotfix was released for it that im not aware of.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

allgamesonxeigpu, Thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

I will now do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello allgamesonxeigpu, I just received an update on this matter.

After revising the case, we can confirm that the reason why the game is not working as expected is because, as per game developers, the system does not meet the minimum requirements, the game is meant to be run and played on an external discrete graphics card.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
allgamesonxeigpu

but it can run on 5th gen amd integrated graphics. the performance isn't fantastic but I don't think it's an integrated graphics limitation. city skylines 1 also didn't support integrated graphics and it runs great even on an intel hd graphics 630 on a 7700t.  this is an implementation issue of the integrated graphics mixed with the fact that the developer made sure the game doesn't run on integrated graphics. ratchet and clank had that issue at launch but it was fixed by the developers. I think some of it has to do with the fact that directx12 games are controlled more by the developer which generally oppose integrated graphics whereas directx11 is much more open to gpu drivers improving a games graphics and performance. Still it should be possible as far as any directx12 game can be optimized by video drivers.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

allgamesonxeigpu, Thank you very much for your reply and for sharing those details.

Yes, that seems to be the case, it is up to the developers of the game to set the system requirements and game specifications in order to properly run it. Which is why we always recommend to check with them directly before purchasing/installing the game.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that the performance will depend on the game specifications and your whole hardware configuration. Games are usually GPU intensive, and some of them, like in this case, require a dedicated graphics card for the proper functionality of the game in question.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
allgamesonxeigpu

again that isn't really the reason. just because it's not supported doesn't mean it can't run. city skylines 1 was a great example which ran on a 7700t with intel hd graphics 630 even though the game insisted that integrated graphics couldn't be used. If it's a hardware based feature specific to discrete gpus thatd be one thing. but it may very well be an implementation issue of the way the igpu works that's the problem. If it was a directx11 game it could definetly be patched but seeing as it's directx12 there's no way to implement it. but what's really disappointing is that you can't even make a future igpu that could get around the problem and if you can why not implement the fix now with the current igpus.

0 Kudos