Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

10-bit colour & Intel UHD Graphics 620

Sina
Beginner

Hello,

I have an acer S513-52N that has a Intel 8250 quad-core process with an integrated UHD graphics 620. IK recently acquired a monitor that provides up to 10-bit of deep colour. I was wondering if it is possible to get this laptop to output 10-bit? Right now, my laptop tells me the second monitor is only using 8-bit, and I've heard that it is possible to get 10-bit from my Intel graphics card. I'm just not sure how to do it. I don't know if it matters, but the driver in my graphics card right now is: 24.20.100.6286

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Sina
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The latest driver for your processor graphics is here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29988?product=124967

0 Kudos
Sina
Beginner

The driver update isn't working. I get a not validated driver error.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

On the page where you downloaded the driver:

"Are you still experiencing an error preventing the driver update? Look here for why and a solution. "

0 Kudos
Sina
Beginner

Alright, I got the new driver installed successfully. Now, how would I turn on 10-bit output?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Sina, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to clarify that the Intel® graphics driver doesn't enable 10/12-bit by default, and there is no option in our user interface (i.e. Intel® Graphics Command Center) to manually change it. Back then, during driver development phases the Operating System (OS) itself was limited to 8-bit, so the driver implemented said approach and only switches to 10/12-bit when the content displayed is 10/12-bit and based on DirectX.

Intel® is working on an update to our user interface that should allow manual control of the Color Depth preference. However, until said update is available the only way to enable 10/12-bit is going to be through the OS own settings: Enable HDR (High Dynamic Range ) and WCC (wide color gamut) which would configure the OS for higher color depths by going to Windows > Display settings > Windows HD Color

Please keep in mind that if the content you are trying to view is 10-bit, switch to Full-Screen mode the driver will automatically switch to said color depth so long as HDR and WCC are enabled. This is also true for most DirectX applications. You can test 10-bit content here: https://jell.yfish.us/  

In order to have more information about your external connection, please provide the following: 

1. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

2. Monitor's brand and model number. 

3. From your laptop to the monitor, what connector are you using on both ends? Are you using any adapter in between or is it a straight cable connection? Please provide details.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Sina,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Sina,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. Please remember that our graphics drivers don't enable 10/12-bit by default and there is no way to manually select it. As you are using a laptop, you may want to check with your system manufacturer (OEM) to see if they have tested 10-bit outputs with this laptop.  

If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos