Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

10 bit depth manually _Intel UHD 620 graphics

FrancaR
Novice

Good evening,

I have an Intel UHD 620 graphics card on Surface pro 6 with dock station 2.

I'm looking for a way to set the bit depth to 10 manually, because I want to connect it to a 10-bit (8-bit+FRC) BenQ screen. I don't want to use HDR because it's not good for graphics work, it's only suitable for videos. I found many of these requests on the net. Has Intel developed a way to do this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @FrancaR

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that Intel® graphics support 10-bit and 12-bit color depths (known as deep color) and on our current driver implementation, the color depth will be set as per the operating system (OS) configuration. The Operating System, application being viewed, and driver will determine which is the best mode to display dynamically. The user can see the graphics settings in Windows*, however, there is no way for the user to manually change these settings. For more details, please review this article: Does Intel® Graphics Support 10-Bit Color Depth?

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Note:

Intel does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters (e.g.: Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations, etc.). This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. The best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type on both ends. For more details, please review Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel.

0 Kudos
FrancaR
Novice

@AndrewG_Intel 

Could Intel create a command to manually change the depth?

I don't want to use HDR because it's not good for graphics work, it's only suitable for videos.

The graphics settings in Windows enable HDR (High Dynamic Range). HDR is used for play

video, not for graphic work. 

Will the 10 BIT depth (8-bit +FCR) screen be automatically recognized as 10 BIT depth or as 8 bits? Currently the 10-bit screens on the market are almost all 8 bits+FCR.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello FrancaR

Thank you for your response and for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

Regarding your feature request, the latest information we had is that our team is working on improving our Intel® Graphics Command Center application to allow users to manually select the preferred Color Depth. This change is a work in progress and there is no ETA yet; however, we will double check internally and if there is any new public information available, we will be posting more details here in the thread.

Also, please allow us to look into your question about a "10 BIT depth (8-bit +FCR) screen" detection mode and we will be sharing more details as soon as they are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello FrancaR

After reviewing your last inquiries, we would like to update this thread with the following information:

In regards to your first question: "a command or an option to allow users to manually select/change the preferred Color Depth", there is no status change other than our team is actively working on it; however, we can't provide an ETA nor commit it would be implemented on all current platforms.

With respect to your second question "Will the 10-bit depth (8-bit +FCR) screen be automatically recognized as 10-bit depth or as 8 bits?", the driver will automatically set the highest possible configuration supported by the Display when all the right pieces are set in place, per example: the OS configuration, the Display's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) configuration, the right output and cable used along with the actual content being displayed. If the Display is 8-bit + FCR then it should be shown as 8-bit with dithering in OS configuration.

We hope this clarifies your inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello FrancaR

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
FrancaR
Novice

Thank you for your answer. If I have the screen, I will connect it to the graphics card and let you know if it works correctly. "our team is actively working on it" is a bit generic. Maybe it's not in Intel's priorities and it will never be done, because I read this answer in a post about a year ago about this graphics card.

0 Kudos