Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

3D rendering issue on 12th gen Intel Core i3

PLYMET
New Contributor I

We are experiencing a 3D rendering issue in our software which seems to be caused by the Intel driver. The software is developed in .NET Framework version 4.8 and is using WPF for the graphical user interface. WPF is using DirectX 9 for the 3D rendering.

Attached some images from a demo application we have developed to illustrate the issue. This 3D render is based on a example from Microsoft, so we are sure that our code is not the issue.

We are only experiencing this issue on computers equipped with a 12th gen Intel Core i3 12100. The problem is reproducible on all systems with the exact same hardware. It turns out that it does work if we change the driver to “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. So the problem is only related to the Intel driver.

We have also tested it with a 10th gen Intel Core i3 10100 and here everything is working fine. So the problem only occurs in combination with a 12th gen CPU.

I have tested it in combination with Windows 10 LTSC 1809 and Windows Pro 21H2 (19044). Both have the same issue.

25 Replies
Kadau
Novice

Experiencing the exact same issue here, only temporary fix I found was to disable WPF's GPU Acceleration using code or registry but this is nowhere near usable for an end user as CPU rendering is terribly slow on complex 3D scenes. 

I'm running a:

• Dell Inspiron 16 7620 2 in 1 
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1235U 1.30 GHz
  • Intel Iris XE - Driver 30.0.101.1994 (Also tried with 1109)
  • Windows 11 21H2 (Build 22000.739)

Screenshots attached are from a .NET Framework 4.8 build of Microsoft's WPF 3D Sample (Source code available here).

I also attached reports from intel graphics control panel and SSU.txt.

How to reproduce: 

• Open any WPF application displaying a 3D scene (rendered on the GPU)

Related issues (?):

DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® UHD Graphics 730.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Have you tried the recommendation from Kadau?

2. Are you still having the issue?

3. Is this issue present only with your software or also with other programs/apps? If is present with other programs, which ones?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

I am still having the issue.

I am aware of the temporary fix to disable WPF's GPU Acceleration. Another temporary fix might be to change the driver to “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. But both do not seem like a long term fix.

I expect the problem to be present in all WPF applications using 3D rendering. But I am not aware of other applications using this. We are experiencing this issue in a application we develop our own. I have tested the Microsoft's WPF 3D Sample (same as Kadau did) to ensure that it is not related to our software. Both applications have the same issue.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for your response. In order to help you further I will appreciate it if you provide me with the following infomation:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. Is this issue recent or is it out of the box?

4. Is this issue only present with the intel drivers or also with the manufacturer drivers?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

Meanwhile I have tried the latest beta drivers (30.0.101.3109) but these have the same problem.

We recently got hardware with a 12th generation processor. The first drivers I tried were once downloaded from the motherboard vendor. I got this problem right away. So yes, both with the drivers downloaded from Intel.com and the drivers supplied by the manufacturer.

Also our hardware supplier tried to reproduce it and got the exact same thing on several motherboards (other brands too) and other 12th gen Intel processors. So it really seems to have to do with the 12th generation processor or driver.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for the information provided. In order to investigate this issue I would appreciate it if you provide the following information:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. Can you provide me with the exact steps to replicate this issue?

4. Can you provide us with a link or access to this tool?

5. Can you take a short video where we can see the issue? 

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

Unfortunately, I can't share the SSU file here. It appears to contain information about third-party apps and usernames. Maybe you can check out Kadau's files? He has exactly the same problem.

I made a build of the Microsoft example that Kadau and I mentioned. I believe you will run into the problem when executing it on a 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics. As an indication, see the screenshots I sent in my first post.

0 Kudos
Kadau
Novice

Yeah defintely check out my files, we are experiencing the exact same issue with (almost) the same environment.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for the "Example file". In this case, even though, you have almost the same environment and the same issue I cannot use the information from a different user to check your device. This is because every system is different and it may need a different approach.

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile, so you can send the report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU). 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

I have just sent you an e-mail with the SSU and the Report of the Graphics Drivers.

Also, I have tried the latest beta drivers (30.0.101.3113) but these still have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Kadau
Novice

By the way if you really need to use a 3D Viewport in WPF, there is a temporary fix. I recoded a renderer in OpenGL using OpenTK and GLWpfControl which uses NV_DX_INTEROP to then render it on a classic WPF control. 
This works great but requires you to rewrite the renderer in OpenGL so it might take time, I'll gladly send an example if you need.

DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for your response, I will try to check your issue internally. However, based on your report and your specific system/environment I recommend the following:

1. Based on your operating system (Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC) you must get your driver from Microsoft, this is because they have customized and validated drivers for this operating system.

2. The driver version installed (30.0.101.3113) is not part of the list of stable drivers on the Intel website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html). I recommend you to check with ASRock and Microsoft to confirm if the issue with your software is due to one of their drivers.

3. Your BIOS version is not up to date, I recommend your check with ASKrock to confirm if an update is needed and for the instructions in case the update is needed.

I will try to review your issue internally, however, bear in mind that I may be limited due to the previous reasons and you may need to check this behavior with Microsoft and ASRock.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

Great that you want to review the problem internally.

Just to clarify. I tested several things and only run into the problem when using a 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics.

1. As described in my first post. I have also tested with Windows Pro 21H2 (19044). The problem occurs on both versions of Windows.

2. I am aware that 30.0.101.3113 is a BETA driver. But as you can see in the images of my first post, I also tested with the stable version 30.0.101.1994 (Kadau did also use this version). I also tried version 30.0.101.1960 which was also stable. The issue appears with all versions.

3. As mentioned before, our hardware supplier was able to reproduce it. They got the exact same thing on different motherboards (other brands too) and other 12th gen Intel processors. They contacted ASRock and concluded that it probably has to do with the 12th generation processor or driver. I could update the BIOS version, but our hardware supplier did not mention this as a possible solution.

Please let me know, if you need any more information.

DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for the extra information in your last response. In order for me to replicate and investigate this issue I will need the following:

1. Can you provide me with a sample or access to the software that you are using?

2. Can you make a short video of the issue?

3. Can you provide us with a step-by-step to replicate this issue?

4. Does this happen with third-party GPUs?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

Yes, I still need assistance.

I already sent you the example application you are asking for (see my post of 06-29-2022). I would appreciate it if you try to execute it on a 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics. When running the example application, the 3D render is immediately visible. You should see a rainbow-colored square. But on a 12th gen CPU this is not correctly displayed. Other GPU's do not have this issue. As an indication, see the screenshots I sent in my first post. The 3D render is not 'moving' so I guess the screenshots are enough.

Can we expect it to be fixed soon?

A short summary from my previous posts:

We are experiencing a 3D rendering issue in our software which seems to be caused by the Intel driver. The software is developed in .NET Framework version 4.8 and is using WPF for the graphical user interface. WPF is using DirectX 9 for the 3D rendering. I tested several things and only run into the problem when using a 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics.

I have tested Microsoft's WPF 3D Sample to ensure that it is not related to our software. Both our application and this sample have the same issue. I expect the problem to be present in all WPF applications using 3D rendering. The sample is attached to my post of 06-29-2022.

As described in my first post. I have tested it in combination with Windows 10 LTSC 1809 and Windows Pro 21H2 (19044). Both have the same issue. So, it has nothing to do with the LTSC version. Also, Kadau was also able to reproduce it on his hardware configuration.

Meanwhile I tested it with several driver versions. I tried the stable version 30.0.101.1994 (Kadau did also use this version), stable version 30.0.101.1960 and (the latest) beta version 30.0.101.3113. The issue appears with all driver versions. A few days ago, I already sent you an e-mail with the SSU and the Report of the Graphics Drivers.

It turns out that it does work if we change the driver to “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. So, the problem is only related to the Intel driver.

As far as I know the problem only occurs in combination with a 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics. We also tested it with a 10th gen Intel Core i3 10100 and this does not have the problem. Also, other GPU's do not have this problem.

Our hardware supplier was able to reproduce it. They got the exact same thing on different motherboards (other brands too) and with other 12th gen Intel processors. They contacted ASRock and they concluded that it probably has to do with the 12th generation processor/driver.

I am aware of the temporary fix to disable WPF's GPU Acceleration. But this does not seem like a long-term fix.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will use the information that you already provided and continue with the investigation, as soon as I have any updates I will let you know.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
whitingjon
Beginner

As we are running into this exact same issue, has there been any resolve to this?

We tried the last beta driver that supposedly fixed the issue, but it didn't.

I see a new non-beta driver was released 3 days ago, but I havnt had a chance to try it out yet.

PLYMET
New Contributor I

As far as I know, the issue would not be solved with the latest beta drivers (30.0.101.3113). At least I'm also having the problem with these beta drivers.

I have just tried the latest official drivers (31.0.101.3222), but the problem also occurs with these. Meaning that the issue is still not solved.

See my previous post for a detailed description of the problem. 

0 Kudos