Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

3rd external monitor turns off

C_Alex
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect 2 external monitors to my laptop.

I plug in the first one (Samsung) via HDMI (it works fine, the laptop detects and prompts it). But then, when I plug in the second one (HP) (via VGA), the first external monitor turns off, and tells me that the HDMI signal has been lost.

If I try to connect them in the other order, first the HP one via VGA, and then the Samsung one via HDMI, it never detects the samsung one.

My processor is an Intel- Core i5-6300U, and the graphic card is an intel HD 520, which are supposed to be able to display 3 screens.

Let me know if you need any more information, and thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To me, "external digital monitor" and (only) "dual independent display" would seem to be indicating support for only a single external monitor.

Because the output at the processor is configured for HDMI, this means that there is no support for DisplayPort's Multi-Stream Transport (MST) and thus no opportunity to use either a MST Hub or Daisy-Chaining to connect two independent displays.

There is one last possibility to consider, namely using a USB 3.0-based display. A device like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-3-0-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B078869LWB would do the trick.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Have you verified that your laptop supports two external displays being used independently? [Aside: It sounds to me like only a single external display is supported.] If not stated in their documentation, you need to talk to your laptop vendor to find out.
...S
0 Kudos
C_Alex
Beginner
That might be the answer : it's a lenovo yoga 260, when I check its specks, I read '"Intel HD Graphics 520 in processor only,
supports external digital monitor via HDMI, Mini DisplayPort;
supports dual independent display" so if they say dual indepedent display, does that mean that it won't support 3 displays ?
I've read of people being able to have 3 displays, but by daisy-chaining their monitors, which I won't be able to do, since one of them does not have a Display Port.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To me, "external digital monitor" and (only) "dual independent display" would seem to be indicating support for only a single external monitor.

Because the output at the processor is configured for HDMI, this means that there is no support for DisplayPort's Multi-Stream Transport (MST) and thus no opportunity to use either a MST Hub or Daisy-Chaining to connect two independent displays.

There is one last possibility to consider, namely using a USB 3.0-based display. A device like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-3-0-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B078869LWB would do the trick.

Hope this helps,

...S