Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
16834 Discussions

Can't get 60Hz (4K) with XPS13 9310 and Dell 3219q using USB-C to USB-C

helpdell
Beginner

I cannot get 60Hz (4K) on my Dell U3219 32" 4K using my XPS13 9310 and a USB-C to USB-C cable. The max I get is 30hz. So much money spent on two top of the line Dell devices... you would think they would work well together. So frustrating!!!

I have updated every single driver, got the latest BIOS, etc...  This works fine with my Macbook Air (same monitor, same cable).

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @helpdell

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Are you using any video adapter or docking station with this USB-C to USB-C cable? Is it a straight-through connection?

2- Did this configuration work fine before? If yes, was there any recent change? For instance, Hardware or Software (Windows updates, driver updates, software updates)?

3- For testing purposes, if you lower the resolution, are you able to select a refresh rate of 60Hz?

4- With the external display connected to the laptop, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

5- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

My understanding is that you cannot get 60Hz when using a USB-C-to-USB-C cable. Why? Because when you use a USB-C-to-USB-C cable, you are enabling USB as well as DisplayPort (DP). When you also enable USB, you are cutting the bandwidth for the DP signal in half. If you switch to using a USB-C-to-DP cable (or USB-C-to-DP dongle + DP cable), you can get to 4K@60Hz .

There are plenty of cables and dongles available fairly cheaply through Amazon. Here are some examples:

Hope this helps,

...S

helpdell
Beginner

I was able to do it (4K@60Hz) with my Macbook Air - same cable, same monitor.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello helpdell

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician