Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
HGern
Beginner

Will this fix be applied for all Intel HD graphics units? Or is this only for 4600?

I have the same issue with my Intel HD 530.

Thanks for further feedback.

AScis1
New Contributor I

Any news on this driver?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

I'm going through the process to have this checked into all branches back to 3rd Gen, it's taking longer than I expected. I appreciate your patience and am doing all I can to expedite as much as possible. No ETA as of yet, though I'll provide one here as soon as it comes.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Rethinking how I'm updating this case because there's two different sides to the workaround, external panels and internal panels.

I'll keep this thread updated for internal panels and track the external panel request through

So for the internal panels update:

This requires some additional ratification. I'm currently working on getting the external panels workaround checked in, but there's still more to do for the internal request. I'll keep things updated here as they arise and I'll set my next checkpoint for an update at Aug 26th.

ZSaun
Novice

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post some details about the driver that Bryce had me test out.

I tested this on three laptops with internal panels (all 4th generation) and would like to report that it indeed allows us to set custom refresh rates via CRU. The limit is removed and works the same way AMD and NVidia does when adding custom resolutions using the CRU utility by toastyx. I tried lower values (24) and higher values (72,96,120) all of which worked when the panel supported it.

So for anyone else waiting, just be patient, the driver fix that we have all waited for is finally coming soon !

If anyone has any questions regarding the driver or process I can try and answer to the best of my knowledge, but please do not ask for the driver itself, I no longer have access to it and will ignore any messages about it.

Thank you Bryce and the Intel developers for finally getting this issue pushed and fixed!

0 Kudos
JGro
Beginner

wow this is great to hear! We are finally getting somewhere

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ZacharyS,

Thank you for your feedback, hopefully the public release will come out soon.

Mike C

0 Kudos
MLee58
Novice

Hi Mike,

I was originally following the "implement EDID override" thread, and was linked to this thread by Bryce. I'm looking to replace the screen in a laptop with a different panel that also works for that model (Lenovo T450s). As of now, you can replace the panel but the brightness controls will no longer work in Windows due to the Intel driver. From everything that I read, EDID override capability would solve this issue. Glancing over this thread, I see you guys are talking about resolution--but it's not clear to me that the fix being talked about here is the same as being able to override an EDID? I'm curious as to whether this would be a separate issue? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

@ mattlee414

The driver allows EDID overrides for internal panels to achieve the custom resolutions / refresh rates, as for your issue I am not sure if that would fix it or not..

@ Replete

Driver testing has already concluded and the changes should be pushed into the main branch, I would assume you need to wait for that now (which shouldn't be to much longer). As for the decimal values, unfortunately I never thought to try them so I cant answer that.

0 Kudos
KKova3
Novice

As for the decimal values, unfortunately I never thought to try them so I cant answer that.

Do you still have it, can you try it out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KXie1
Beginner

ZacharyS

Thanks for this wonderful news! I've been waiting a long time for refresh rate overclocking and custom resolutions (for downsampling) on Optimus-based notebooks.

You mentioned testing it with 4th gen laptops. Do you happen to know if this new unlocked driver will support HD Graphics 4600 on Windows 7 x64? I ask specifically because some of the newest HD 4600 driver releases only support Windows 10.

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

@ octiceps

I only tested them on windows 10 x64, never tried any other OS so I cant really answer that. Sorry! :c

0 Kudos
DMitc4
Novice

Hey ZacharyS ,

Is there any way i can get my hands on this driver for now to test out its use?

0 Kudos
PWats2
Novice

Hopefully I can use this to override the EDID on my internal display with my HD 4000...

0 Kudos
BB_
Beginner

Good job man! Keep up the good work.

I really appreciate the updates!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does this pre-release driver support decimal refresh rates? E.g. 23.976 (essential for htpc) or 59.97?

0 Kudos
RBeye
Beginner

It would be great if you can also include the resolutions shown in this post.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/danchar/2015/05/13/surface-3-intel-atom-x7-cherrytrail-multi-monitor-tweaks/ Surface 3 – Intel Atom x7 (Cherrytrail) multi-monitor tweaks – Dan S. Charlton

I have the Microsoft Surface 3 with 10.8 inch screen, the default resolution is 1920x1280 but I would prefer 960x640 for many reasons.

The default driver that came with Windows 10 didn't have this resolution listed, but if I install the latest Intel driver I can set a custom resolution, restart and then it will be listed but when I apply the screen will go black and keep switching off and on. I have spent a few days trying to find a way to get 960x640 resolution or just any smaller resolution than the default one, but nothing has worked. I am giving up until this next driver comes out and just hoping it will solve my problems.

0 Kudos
FGuti1
Beginner

Hey Bryce@Intel

What about realising the beta driver to us people in this thread? Pretty sure that everyone here know about creating/editing and testing custom resolution,refresh rates,etc, so we could test it, and report bugs if we find them

JGro
Beginner

that would be really sweet, but the chances of that happening are "very slim"

0 Kudos
DvanR
Beginner

+1 for a beta driver release that includes this feature

0 Kudos
RChau4
Beginner

Hey Bryce@Intel, I noticed you had set a reminder date for Aug. 26, 2016. I understand you may have gotten busy and forgotten about this thread; however, could we get an update of what to expect? Thank you so much for what you're doing!