Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm looking to replace the screen in a laptop with a different panel that also works for that model (Lenovo T450s). As of now, you can replace the panel but the brightness controls will no longer work in Windows due to the Intel driver.

Thanks

http://qwikfix.co.uk/dvla-contact/ DVLA

0 Kudos
AScis1
New Contributor I

Please give us a beta driver !!

MEvan2
Novice

Really excited that the internal display fix is in the pipeline. Would appreciate a beta driver release / ETA on when we can expect it. Thanks for the support.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

My update is late and I do apologize. I would recommend 'following' and bookmarking the thread rather than manually checking the thread daily.

No traction has been made yet on this due to other issues being worked on in the queue. It is at the front of my radar though. I'll note that a change request of this nature typically takes months to a year to complete once accepted. It has not been accepted yet. I'll keep this thread updated as progress occurs.

Also, to clarify, the change request I'm referring to in this thread is to unlock the driver and make available the use of 3rd party software such as CRU to make changes to the internal panel (LFP) of a laptop. See the other EDID thread for external panels (EFP).

I'll set my next checkpoint for Oct 30th.

0 Kudos
AScis1
New Contributor I

Give us an alpha bugged driver at least! Make Custom resolutions available only from your panel for now, we don't care.

Make us sign a NDA of this driver or set an expire date, anything but please we NEED it !

We have waited more than enough time! Don't you agree?
DCris3
Novice

I feel I need to state 2 obvious facts to whatever developer is supposedly working on this situation, if any.

1. This is again a feature fix, not a "feature request" like you hilariously behaved for the past year. Your implementation of "Custom resolution" is without a doubt broken. The initial feedback from you years ago was that this "fix" was not a priority for your developers because a very small portion of your consumer base actually demanded this request. This matter has got your attention only when the community's voice was getting stronger.

2. I don't understand how a company, big as intel hasn't allocated necessary resources to solve this matter from many people begging for this implementation for years on the forums. We are waiting, but this response "I'll note that a change request of this nature typically takes months to a year to complete once accepted" got me really upset. We are told this is going to take time like it's a very recent problem. Time is passing and we are going to upgrade at least 2 laptops until this is properly fixed. We are facing this issue for the last couple of years, do we really need to hit the 10 year mark ?

For god's sake, do something Intel, stop acting like you are the small IT store in the corner of the street.

mmell1
Novice

how the hell does a simple bug like this take up to 1 year to fix and I though AMD's support was bad.

0 Kudos
BB_
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback Bryce! I can understand that is is hard to get much done if you don't have the resources for it.

Also I feel your pain on having such a long releasing cycle man^^

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if there isn't any short term workaround that could be delivered faster though ?

I would love to get my hands on ZacharyS beta driver. Is there still a way to sign up for it even though it was already signed-off ?

I kept a ~6 years old laptop with an Intel pentium T4400 on it and a GT240M for graphic (lol) and the custom resolution works just fine through Nvidia control panel.

I could even get i up to 4k while the internal panel native resolution is only 1600*900.

It just seems funny that on my newer laptop that has a GTX850M, the embedded Intel HD Graphics prevents me from using this feature.

Good luck on getting your change request accepted and I'll be looking forward to reading your updates on October!

Best regards,

Ben
0 Kudos
ccLic1
Novice

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, it paid off to check my spam folder.

Won't even bother to voice a proper response to this, I'm just glad I bailed out from this mockery months ago. Whew.

0 Kudos
MVare1
Beginner

Thanks to Intel, i switched to Linux. No need to use this shitty drivers again

JWong24
Novice

"I'll note that a change request of this nature typically takes months to a year to complete once accepted. It has not been accepted yet."

You're kidding. This has been an issue for a very very long time. Is there nothing that can be done for the issue to be worked on sooner ? Thanks for the update, by the way. Appreciate it.

JReid1
Beginner

As a UK film editor working at 50 frames per second, this is completely unacceptable Bryce!

Intel forces me to view jerky pictures at 60 frames per second,.

I would like to select the British refresh rate on my laptop screen, but your driver will not allow it!

POOR! POOR! POOR! Pretending to have a tool to allow custom refresh rates when it does not work is unbelievable!

This is not a "change request" - it is the roll-out of a product which has never worked!

How many people are working on this? Just you? How can Intel justify not prioritising the resources to put right this fraud?

RLe_C
Beginner

This is ridiculous, I cannot believe that this issue is taking this long to resolve. As other members are saying, we just want a alpha/beta driver and I'm sure that many would be happy with the test driver that was tested out earlier. Why is it taking so long when we actually have a driver that functions?

0 Kudos
RB_2
Novice

If Intel take too too long on implementing this, then people will just get laptops with AMD Zen APUs instead...

idata
Employee

I 100% intend to do this.

Finally, some actual competition. Monopolies always suck for the customer.

idata
Employee

It's not a g-- damned FEATURE, FIX WHAT YOU SOLD US!

Somebody, please get a class-action together.

DCris3
Novice

"I'll note that a change request of this nature typically takes months to a year to complete once accepted. It has not been accepted yet. I'll keep this thread updated as progress occurs."

This is the key to all this. Apparently they have a queue where fixing their drivers and its features is way less important than everything else they are doing, even after everyone goes batshit crazy for years on the forums. Don't worry guys, 5 more years and our issue will finally be in the queue. /s

Priorities.

NDang1
Novice

LOL, intel is a joke. It has been forever and still no fix. They just give us the same run around. smh no longer supporting intel PEACE OUT

PWats2
Novice

Still waiting....

AChen100
Novice

Yup. Aaaaannnnnddd... Still waiting. Even after a couple of years. Yeah, doesn't matter. A few more years SURELY won't bug the consumers right?

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Ya'll are killin me. Our driver honors the EDID, which is set by the OEM for your internal panel. If you wanted to get the panel to work at 50Hz, the OEM would need to update the EDID to include 50Hz as an acceptable mode. This is most certainly a feature change, it is not a bug, please stop referring to it as one.

What I'm requesting is to unlock the driver [feature change], which should enable working around the custom resolution [use case] inherently, but this also unlocks other positive usage cases as well.

It is not uncommon for a feature or function to be locked down by companies to protect users from harming the hardware. This was an intentional design of the driver. This change request draws a parallel with asking a certain company with a fruit logo to unlock their hardware to be more like Android or PC. How do you think that would get answered? It's a mindset change of a design, a design that has worked very well for the vast majority of the install base. For Intel, that's ~billions of units per year.

So please, again, be patient. I'm thankful for your prior input which helped me build the case up until now but we're past that, please believe me, verbalizing upset and making threats only impedes the process, it doesn't help me [help you] or the cause at this point.

Current Status: The change request has passed the 1st milestone and is hanging out in the feasibility assessment stage. That's not uncommon since all angles need to be considered. I will update the thread when there's more updates to pass down.