Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
SLyon1
Beginner

Upscaling is lower resolutions on a higher res panel, Intel supports that just fine usually, I think.

You're talking about DownScaling/DownSampling/SuperSampling AntiAliasing.

Either way you're completely right about that too.

NVidia has DSR, I think AMD has something for it, so there's something else that Intel's missing out on. I would love to game in a DSR equivalent 4K downsampler on my Optimus laptop, it would be some fantastic AA. My desktop could do it, but with the non-ti 750, I can't do it very well for the VRam.

0 Kudos
JD5
Beginner

I thought Optimus laptops are already supported. Well, optimus is real gimmick anyways.

0 Kudos
SLyon1
Beginner

No, They can't support EDID overrides, custom display resolutions/refresh rates, or DSR because they drive the display through the Intel graphics, rather than the NVidia chip. The NVidia chip streams its renderings to the Intel graphics by sending a Shield streaming-esque signal to the Intel graphics through the ram, only way more backgrounded to the point that it looks no different to the end user than running the game or program on the same chip that's driving the display.

I kind of wish my laptop had the hardware style switchable graphics, cause that would let the 950M drive the display and support all those things.

At least Optimus allows for Intel to filter it through custom color profiles, meaning I can have my color profile on all my games, at the very least.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Alright, good news... ready for it? The code changes have been approved AND completed! Okay who wants to buy me a pint now? kidding kidding

Now we're clearing up validation to ensure nothing is broken by the changes and then we should get clearance for build. Keep your fingers crossed for a clear path. Just to set realistic expectations because people are very understandably eager.. this can still be a month or a little more out, but believe me we're over the hard part and I'm pushing daily to get this expedited as much as possible. If I get a build schedule I'll update here. I regret it's taken so long though I'll certainly be celebrating this one when it's closed out. Thanks all.

SLyon1
Beginner

Oh my jesus the monopoly finally listened to the techie community for something, rather than focus on lower power conumption for the consumer and more cores for the enthusiast. Not only that, but something that can be scaled across a huge line of computers from several cpu generations. Something that the true enthusiasts could put to great use, when using not only AMD or NVidia, but now Intel as well. It was, underexaggeratively, a bit of a wait, but it happened and it's a good thing.

Now I can supposedly break my display if I want to.

Though IRL I won't, cause most, if not all controller boards have safeguards for unsupported resolutions anyway as far as I know. These safeguards usually show up as a sliding corrupt image, or corruption spots all over the place, instead of forcing the resolution upon the display and causing it to heat up and/or become damaged.

0 Kudos
DvanR
Beginner

Good news indeed! I'm glad we will eventually get this solved. Thanks for your work pushing this!

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

Thank you for your very hard work on this effort, eagerly waiting for this driver update.

I pray nobody at intel suddenly has a bad day and decides to can this.

0 Kudos
MLee58
Novice

Hey Bryce,

Thanks for this good news! I know that there are many others who are anxiously awaiting the result.

0 Kudos
clync3
Beginner

So will I finally be able to set a true 60hz refresh rate on my GPD WIN? your default 60 puts the internal display at 60.253hz making gaming stutter.

and sadly CRU tool doesn't work with intel due to edid override being gone.

the mesed up refresh rate is ruining an otherwise solid gaming device. So until I can use CRU to set a flat 60.000 and 30.000hz refresh I'm boned

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

I'm excited! Just a few more months, perhaps a year, before this works! Squee!!!

I got a new laptop - with a beautiful 1080p IPS display. I would love to raise the refresh rate

0 Kudos
JD5
Beginner

"very unreasonably eager" lel. Anyways, thanks for update... hope it comes next few weeks or people will become "very unreasonably raging".

P.S. Personal thank you from me.

0 Kudos
AScis1
New Contributor I

Thank you for the update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I thought it may be useful to post this here, since I don't remember having seen it in a previous post.

Check this registry key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

It contains parameters for every display adapter on your system, in subkeys numbered 0000, 0001 and so on. One of them (likely 0000) is for the Intel GPU. Inside you will find the following values : DTD_1, DTD_2, DTD_3, DTD_4, DTD_5 and TotalDTDCount. I suppose setting TotalDTDCount to something else than zero enables one or more of the DTD_n values mentioned.

If that doesn't look tasty... but maybe it only looks tasty. Eat at your own risk.

0 Kudos
JD5
Beginner

OK, time credit comes to end. You really plan to spread this driver in the next year??! First post date - 2015. Possible fix at 2017! 2 years looks so good... not.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Yeah I hear ya. I'm trying to tie this to a stable Production release instead of a Beta. The next Production 15.40 and 15.45 drivers should both have this though. We won't release a driver just to fix this if it means breaking something else so it's taking some time. I tried setting the expectation that it could take another month or so to ensure stability. It's on it's way though.

AChen100
Novice

Again, most, if not all of us would be ahpapy with an Alpha driver, (do they even exist anymore? idk), but its great to hear this progress. It'll hopefully happen just in time for the new year or start of school year for me.

0 Kudos
DvanR
Beginner

Thanks, Bryce, for pushing this issue, but why in the world tie this to a stable Production release instead of a Beta?!? Is there not a way you can release this as a beta driver? It does not matter at all for us, users, what the driver status is as long as there is a fix for this problem.

Thanks, Dan

0 Kudos
JSugr
Beginner

Is there a beta that you can send me that addresses this? I've been following this thread for over a year waiting for some kind of an update, just so my laptop will do what I bought it for. I'm really sick of waiting. I'll take anything that fixes this.

0 Kudos
BB_
Beginner

Good job man. Thanks for your work!

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

Any update on this ? Its hard to keep waiting @Bryce, can you please share latest update.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

So, good news and bad news... Bad news first, complications with build are preventing our targeted production releases so the formal WA's aren't expected till after the new year.

Good news, is that I worked to get the driver unlocked in a test driver that can be found using the link below. This contains the code to unlock for both external and internal panels. Merry Xmas all and please let me know that it works for you. To be clear, this allows the 3rd party EDID apps to function with Intel products. This test driver is only built for 4th Generation and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 10 and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 7 and 8.1.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26504/Intel-Graphics-Test-Driver Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver