Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
AChen100
Novice

FANTASTIC NEWS:

"This test driver is only built for 4th Generation and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 10 and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 7 and 8.1."

True. It will refuse to install using the executable setup. Install the Driver manually from Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)

CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS IN INTEL HD GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL WILL NOT WORK. USE CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS UTILITY

Can confirm it will work. For some reason, Windows will try to "update" to the previous driver. To prevent this, tick "Delete the Software for this Device" when uninstalling the driver in devmgmt.msc

I'm so happy, Bryce, thank you for your work. Its a true Christmas Present! Merry Christmas!!!

RCarl6
New Contributor I

You need to use DDU to remove existing Intel driver.

Download and install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26504/Intel-Graphics-Test-Driver Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver and reboot.

Ideally you might want to disable internet to prevent windows update overriding intel driver.

You need CRU to change refresh rate (built in intel CRU does not work). https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

run CRU as admin and select add on detailed resolutions. On timing drop down select LCD standard then put your desired refresh rate hit ok and reboot.

After reboot right click desktop select display settings -> advanced display settings -> display adapter properties (under related settings) -> monitor tab (you should see your custom screen refresh rate on the drop down menu. Select it and apply.

If your panel is capable of the overclock you should see things normally, but if your panel is not capable of the overclocked setting you will get black screen (just wait 10 seconds it will revert automatically).

If it accepted the overclock, you to plug in your charger and close and other program and run google chrome. open this link :http://testufo.com/# test=frameskipping Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

Grab your phone and take pictures of the moving image. The moving thing should remain intact on the photos, if it is not then you are frame skipping.

I personally only have been able to overclock my Alienware 15 R2 with Core i7 6820HK (HD 530) and 1920x1080 (LP156WF6) IPS Matte screen to 63Hz (I don't know if it is due to the cable or the panel or both).

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

I could only overclock my laptop monitor (i7-6500U, HD 520, GeForce 945M, 8GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro) I think the monitor is the same as me to 65Hz. Quite disappointed, THe pixel clock is at 160MHz. Is that the maximum for any limitation?

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

Tried it , doesnt work . Mine is a i7-4720HQ which is not listed in https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26504/Intel-Graphics-Test-Driver Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver

not able to go to higher resolution which my monitor supports . Any help here ?

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

Mind telling us what doesn't work? Are you not able to install the driver? If so, force install it using device manager

"Not able to go to higher resolution which my monitor supports."

ARe you using CRU?

0 Kudos
BB_
Beginner

I uninstall the graphic driver in device manager then install the beta one. I'm now on version 20.19.15.4568 do you guys have that too ? It is from 16/12/2016 so it seems to be correct.

Then in CRU I create a 2560*1440 resolution (my internal panel is originally 1920*1080), then I did restart.exe on CRU then restart my computer but I don't see the new resolution. Did I miss something ?

I'm running windows 10 and my cpu is i7-7400HQ which I could not find in the supported cpu list. The graphic is intel hd graphic 4600.

0 Kudos
CWhee
Beginner

I also have a LP156WF6 (MSI GE62) and cant go past 63hz either.

I tried the https://mega.nz/# !hNFkFRaC!-Q73o0EK08TFtK1YUxkKXYn6bOiCp3Y4oeSy3zrYgs8 tempest.inf ,which allowed me to overclock my external monitor a bit more, but didnt change anything with this one.

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

I have ASUS R510J with hd graphics 4600. and my monitor is HP Compaq LA2405wg.

I am on windows 10 and my cpu is i7-4720hq ( do not see it in supported cpu list)

I uninstalled the existing driver with DDU , and then reinstalled the new driver which is provided in the test driver page link.

Then set new resolution (1920x1200) using CRU and then ran cru restart.exe and reboot the laptop.

My panel is 1920x1200, but cant go beyond 1920x1080.

But i do not see the new resolution in display settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a dell inspirion 3168 model with intel hd graphics. I succesfully installed driver used CRU but no custom resolution shows up at all

0 Kudos
JD5
Beginner

IPS panels are badly overclble on notebooks so I don't suggest doing it.

HD4000 is 3rd Gen so guys, it's not supported.

Those who couldn't create bigger resolution, does changing refresh rate work?

P.S. This tool and driver are for experienced users only. Wait till WHQL driver comes with implemented fix before doing something you are not aware of. TNX.

0 Kudos
PWats2
Novice

I know the HD 4000 is 3rd gen but I hope they do release it for that generation because its also broken on that iGPU too.

0 Kudos
MEvan2
Novice

I'm on an MSI GS40. I can't my get panel over 62hz. I tried dropping the resolution to 720p@62hz but I just get a blank display (Backlight is on). 720p@60hz works fine. Not sure why 1080p@62hz works for 720p@62hz doesn't but I doubt this is intel's problem, but it's great to see that the Optimus community can finally adjust their displays as they please.

0 Kudos
PFilt
Beginner

I possess a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14, Model: 20DM-008UUS

Intel CPU: i5-5200U

Intel graphics adapter: HD Graphics 5500

Dedicated graphics adapter: Nvidia 940M with Optimus

I've updated the graphics driver once through devmgmt.msc and once through a Display Driver Uninstaller followed by installing the linked beta driver through its Setup.exe. Both times I was afterwards unable to use CRU tool by ToastyX to update the monitor refresh rate. (CRU tool was done as per ToastyX's instructions i.e. use LCD reduced timing and setting the refresh rate anywhere from 45 to 75 hz; manual timing was also tested)

I am wondering if there was a mistake on my part in the downloading of the driver or use of the CRU tool or perhaps your beta driver does not support Broadwell ULV i5 CPUs.

0 Kudos
JGro
Beginner

What an unexpected christmas present! Thanks a lot Bryce!

To people who cant make custom refresh rate and resolutions appear - instead of running the "restart.exe" included with CRU, do a full shutdown, and then boot. Not reboot, not hibernate, a full shutdown and clean boot after. In my case it made all custom resolutions added through CRU appear in both intel control panel as well as monitor properties. Thus i successfuly overclocked my laptop's IPS screen from 60hz to 90hz. Tested with http://www.testufo.com/# test=frameskipping this

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

I don't get it, how do some people overclock their displays to 75, even 90hz? A few of us here cant get over 63-65hz. All I get is a black screen, but the backlight is still on.

0 Kudos
MEvan2
Novice

Different panels are capable of different results.

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

I have tried almost everything, but not able to go to full resolution . I am not sure if any more work needs to be done for the driver.

It appears that its not working for most but working for some.

Hope it works for me one day !

0 Kudos
PFilt
Beginner

Can confirm that shutting down and booting instead of using reset.exe does not help to show the CRU rseolution changes on the display - at least in my case scenario.

Using Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 20DM-008UUS

CPU: i5-5200U

integrated graphics: intel HD 500

dedicated grapics: Nvidia 940m with Optimus

0 Kudos
CEast
Beginner

Acer E5-771G (resolution is 1080p). I managed to overclock the panel to 85Hz using CRU, timing = LCD standard......I also tried 72, 75, 80, 90, 96......72 & 75 works with standard, native & reduced, 80 works only with native......anything above 85 = black screen. Tested my overclock with "UFO frame skipping check" by taking a photo and it passed..there was no frame skipping.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DB6
Beginner

Great work man, it seems to work alright, however the settings for the builtin display seem to get lost when restarting the driver. Fixed it by reinstalling the driver everytime I set new resolutions in CRU.

I got my Dell E5550 1080p IPS display to 72hz, without frame skipping or blur (i5 5300U, HD5500).

I was also able to connect my Qnix QX2710 2560x1440 PLS monitor using an HDMI to DVI adapter with this driver. It's supposed to require dual link DVI, but it connected after setting a custom resolution with lower refresh rate.

However I must assume that the pixel clock on HDMI must be limited to 165 MHz, which limited the monitor to 41hz reduced timings. Higher refresh rates are simply not listed on the monitor properties pane.

Is there any way to bypass this limitation? Because my desktop AMD R9 280 card can push 100hz to this monitor over the same HDMI converter, after patching atikmdag.sys.

0 Kudos
AKulg
Beginner

Well, I installed the new test driver over the old one(I had the newest possible driver from the Intel site), without using DDU. I've been able to succesfully overclock my Lenovo Y50-70's display from 60 to 90Hz(without frameskipping and visual artifacts). Thank you so much for this

0 Kudos