Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

A problem with UHD 620 and 5120x1440 resolution (Philips 499p9h Monitor)

MJani10
New Contributor I

Hello, 

I have a 850 g5 laptop with UHD 620 video card and a problem with connecting it to 499p9h Phillips Brillance 49 inch monitor which uses 5120x1440 resolution. 

I have tried multiple connection options:

a) PC HDMI out port --> 499p9h HDMI to HDMI cable

b) Ultraslim dock DP out port --> 499p9h DP to DP cable 

c) Ultraslim dock DP out port --> 499p9h HDMI with DP to HDMI cable 

Video drivers tried:

- sp99907 original newest HP video drivers for UHD 620

- igfx_win10_100.7870 - Intel newest drivers

- some older video drivers from Intel

Ultraslim dock has the newest firmware applied (SP79015) version 2.33

Inf file from the monitor vendor is applied in the system

for b and a: The target resolution is sometimes visible for choosing and after applying the change, resolution works. However this works only to the restart moment. after restart, resolution is reset to 640x480 and no other resolution is visible in the setting panel. Disconnecting Ultraslim dock and connecting it again causes 5120x1440 to be visible again.

for c: resolutions up to 3840x1080 are available, and additionally 3840x2160 which is incorrect for this monitor (it works on 30hz but the display is 'flattened')

Please advise what to do in order to get stable 5120x1440 resolution. It surely works (a and b cases) but its not stable (changes after restart)

Is there any special driver I should apply or anything else I could do

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MJani10
New Contributor I

Hi. After months of testing multiple drivers and searching I finally got the resolutions right and it works on all new drivers from intel. 

I can also confirm that the fault is in the Intel supplied drivers / resolution definitions. The hardware is able to sustain 5120x1440 on uhd 620, with direct connection or even through old docking station. It's a pity that Intel support/driver package developers cannot make things right - users must. 

So in order to make high res available, one tool is needed: Custom resolution utility (CRU.exe)

This can be downloaded from here: 

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Now after running the tool in administrator mode you need to:

- select your wide monitor from the top dropdown list

- in the extension blocks section (one on the bottom) edit first "Default extension block"

- from the type dropdown list: DisplayID, then "Add" (on the bottom - left of the window) and select "Detailed resolutions"

- then another Add. A screen with loads of parameters will appear. just edit "active" line which represents resolution. Also you might want to change refresh rate (tested and works 59Hz and 70Hz  res: 5120x1440 on uhd 620 but of course it will depend on your monitor)  and check box called "native" (it will make new resolution "reccomended" in Windows)

After edit, select OK 3 times to shut all windows. Final OK on the main screen to apply changes and restart. 

New resolution will be available in the Windows. 

Thats all. As I mentioned before, and would stress again... very sad that these guides come from a user not from the vendor which should apply settings in driver pack and not make users search for some external tools!

MJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MJani10
New Contributor I

Aditionally: Graphic report, SSU and DXDiag files attached.

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I
posted a file.
0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I
posted a file.
0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Update: Found info that driver version 7463 might work. After install and connecting laptop to DP (via ultraslim dock) it is working. 5120x1440 is available. But after restart, max resolution that is available is 640x480. Picture is very distorted (such resolution on 49 inch)

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Dear Leon,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately after installing 7262 the effects are the same as 7463.

Maybe I'm doing sth wrong while install procedure ? I extracted contents of CAB file, then via device manager I updated driver using "have disk" option. Is this the correct way ?

Cheers, M.J.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi M.J.

1. I suggest that you perform clean installation of the 7262 driver:
  2. Disconnect the Internet.
  3. Open the Device Manager and uninstall the currently installed driver. Check the "Delete from..." option.
  4. Reboot your computer.
  5. Install the 7262 driver.
  6. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your computer.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Did the procedure, effect is the same 😕

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

Ultraslim dock has the newest firmware applied (SP79015) version 2.33

Inf file from the monitor vendor is applied in the system

for b and a: The target resolution is sometimes visible for choosing and after applying the change, resolution works. However this works only to the restart moment. after restart, resolution is reset to 640x480 and no other resolution is visible in the setting panel. Disconnecting Ultraslim dock and connecting it again causes 5120x1440 to be visible again.

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

that's a copy of what I stated. The same is happening with direct connection (Laptop to monitor, without docking station)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

All of the answers from @Max44​ are plagiarized.

Doc

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Hi I managed to run properly hp 820 G1 with this monitor. So I came to situation where old 820g1 works (some 5th gen intel video) and new ultra-hd 620 850 g5 does not work. tried multiple drivers: 7262,7263,7463 and newest 7870. Can someone from Intel can look into this ?

cheers, M

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MJani10,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please connect the monitor that supports 5120x1440 resolution and generate the following report:

Intel® Graphics Command Center report. 

• Open Intel® Graphics Command Center. 
  • Click on support. 
  • Click on the tab System Diagnostic. 
  • Generate report. 
  • Save the file. 
  • Upload the file to the thread. 

Question:

Has this ever worked without any issues with old drivers provided by the system manufacturer?

It's worth mentioning that your processor Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor supports 4096x2304@24Hz as max resolution (HDMI 1.4) and Max Resolution (DP) 4096x2304@60Hz based on our website and processor specs however some system manufacturers might limit their ports since they customize their systems.

If the older system works fine with that resolution it could be related to customizations performed by the system manufacturer on hardware/drivers that allow to get it.

Also, we recommend to perform straight connections like HDMI to HDMI or DP to DP (Without adapters, docking station) because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work properly.

Here is a link as a reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026412/graphics-drivers.html

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MJani10,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Dear Adrian, hi,

Thank you for your hints. I recently done may drivers installation and made some progress. But first, let me answer your questions:

Has this ever worked without any issues with old drivers provided by the system manufacturer? - description below

It's worth mentioning that your processor Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor supports 4096x2304@24Hz as max resolution (HDMI 1.4) and Max Resolution (DP) 4096x2304@60Hz based on our website and processor specs however some system manufacturers might limit their ports since they customize their systems. - I manageg to run 5120/1440 without problems. description below

If the older system works fine with that resolution it could be related to customizations performed by the system manufacturer on hardware/drivers that allow to get it.

Also, we recommend to perform straight connections like HDMI to HDMI or DP to DP (Without adapters, docking station) because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work properly. - all straight p-p connection behave the same as thru docking port..

-------------------------------------------

So as I written earlier I have tried many driver versions. The newest from intel site; newest from manufacturer site; 7262,7263,7463 and newest 7870. They worked more or less the same - giving improper resolutions for 5120x1440 monitor (most of them stuck at 640x480!)

At the end I have installed OLDEST drivers available on Intel site: version 6618 and... they work like a charm! They work both thru point-to point connection and thru docking station.

So, theres definately sth wrong in drivers version 7262+ which was changed in between 6618 and 7262. I dont know which version number is newest working because I didnt have time to install them one by one but this is a thing worth exploring.

Please find attached Graphic Command Center report file. If theres more I can do to help fixing newest drivers to work like 6618, please dont hesitate to ask. As I googled most of the internet searching for a fix, I noticed that this issue is notso uncommon.

MJ

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

Sorry previous report file was without philips monitor connected. guess you need report with it connected so here it is

0 Kudos
MJani10
New Contributor I

and a settings screenshot showing current resolution

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MJani10,

Thank you for your reply.

I was checking the report provided and it shows that the max resolution mode supported is 3840x1080 with the monitor PHL 499P9 and the current resolution is 5120x1440. Based on the report we only see one monitor and it should show 2 monitors the built-in display and the external one (PHL 499P9).

We would like to get another graphics report with the latest driver installed so we can compare the differences between the reports. make sure to generate the report with the monitor straight connected (HDMI to HDMI).

Note:

It's worth mentioning that the drivers your system should use are the ones provided by the system manufacturer to not lose customizations performed by the system manufacturer.

Could you please confirm the type of HDMI port that your computer has? is it HDMI 1.4? also please share a link of the docking station being used to check the specs.

Please fill up the following information to further investigate:

Report all drivers versions tested, noting fail vs. pass:

Example:

26.xx.xx.xx01 = fails

25.xx.xx.xx31 = pass

Please generate a DXDIAG report, SSU report, Graphics reports we know the information was provided at the beginning of the case but we would like to get the newest reports in case of new updates (OS, drivers, etc) on the system.

Please take a picture of the connections being performed. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MJani10,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MJani10,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Note:

We recommend keeping only the drivers from OEM. If you want to continue with Intel® generic drivers, downgrade graphics back to version 26.20.100.7372 (confirmed to work for others).

Intel is investigating this issue and if a fix is available in the future it will be noted in the Release Notes. However, we only recommend using drivers that are customized by your OEM so make sure to report this issue to them as well.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos