Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21039 Discussions

ARC A770 - CSGO Fullscreen Blackscreen

cwasser
Beginner

Description:

When launching CSGO in Fullscreen mode, it only shows a blackscreen. I hear the menu sounds, so the game seems to be working, but the presentation of the rendered game frames seem to not be working, so the window stays black. The modes "Fullscreen Windowed" and "Windowed" work.

Hardware:

i7-12700K, DDR4 32GB 3600 MHz, ASRock A770 16GB, Gigabyte M32U

Software:

Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (22621.1992), Intel Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4644, CSGO v1569

Configuration:

Single Display UHD 144Hz DisplayPort

Repro:

Launch CSGO in Fullscreen mode.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you.

To better assist you, we would like to check the following information:

• When did the issue start?
  • Is the A770 the first graphics adapter installed in your system?
  • Is the issue present as soon as you set the game to fullscreen mode or do you need to wait to face the issue?
  • Share a video showing the issue you report. This would help us for issue reproduction purposes

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cwasser
Beginner

Hello @Jean_Intel,

When did the issue start?

Since installing my A770

Is the A770 the first graphics adapter installed in your system?

No, before I had a GTX 1070. I completely removed the Nvidia drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before installing the Intel Driver and A770.

Is the issue present as soon as you set the game to fullscreen mode or do you need to wait to face the issue?

When launching CSGO in "Windowed" or "Fullscreen Windowed" modes, everything works fine. I then switch to "Fullscreen" in the game and the window freezes (I can still hear sounds, so only the displaying of the rendered Frames is frozen). When I then close CSGO and restart it, I see a completely black fullscreen window (I hear game sounds, so only the frame presentation is affected).

Share a video showing the issue you report. This would help us for issue reproduction purposes

https://youtu.be/tcM8iudZSH0

In this video, I show:

1. Launching CSGO in "Windowed" and "Fullscreen Windowed" modes works fine
  2. The Display freezes when switching to "Fullscreen" mode
  3. When restarting CSGO in "Fullscreen" mode the game won't start (This time the game even crashed with "Failed to create D3D device!", which is an issue I had previously. I could "fix" that issue before by launching CSGO via Steam Big Picture mode. Then I only had the issue described above with the black screen)
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

Thank you for the information provided.

Based on your issue, we would like to recommend you try the following:

• You mentioned that you have driver 31.0.101.4644. We have a new version 31.0.101.4669; which was just released last week. Perform a clean driver installation to update the graphics driver to the latest version. Doing a clean install of the software/drivers for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated with any additional software that might be causing malfunction.
  • Based on the system reports, we noticed that the BIOS version installed in your system is 2602. After reviewing the Asus website, we have confirmed that the latest version is BIOS 2703. You should update your BIOS. If you require further indications about the BIOS update process, you should contact Asus support for instructions.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
cwasser
Beginner

Hi @Jean_Intel,

sorry I forgot to mention it, but I updated to 4669 before my last reply (using a clean driver installation).

Sadly, this didn't fix the issue, as you can see in my reproduction video.

I now also updated my BIOS to 2703, but the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

We will do further research on this matter and will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

We want to let you know that we have tested the game, and it works fine on our end. There was no issue when switching to fullscreen mode. However, you can try the following:

• Verify the game's file integrity
  • Revert any graphics option customization to the default value
  • Make sure you don't have any other app affecting the game graphics options (for example, IGCC, Arc Control, etc.)
  • Reinstall the game.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

We are jumping in the thread to confirm if you were able to try the recommendations from the previous post, and if so, we invite you to share the outcome with us.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
cwasser
Beginner

Hi @Jean_Intel,

sorry, I forgot to answer. I've already tried all of your suggested fixes, but they don't fix the issue. With Counter-Strike 2 on the horizon and my workaround with using the "Fullscreen Windowed" mode, I consider this issue not as important anymore. For me, the "Fullscreen" mode works with Counter-Strike 2. I only have the problem that I can't select the 144Hz refresh rate when using 4:3 resolutions (So I have to use the "Fullscreen Windowed" modes as a workaround):

cwasser_2-1694194083162.png

For 16:9 resolutions, I can select 144Hz:

cwasser_1-1694194058558.png

Maybe the Intel Driver incorrectly reports the supported refresh rates for 4:3 aspect ratio resolution via DX11/DXGI APIs for my monitor/configuration?

0 Kudos
cwasser
Beginner

I have built a simple application using DXGIs GetDisplayModeList1 function which prints the supported refresh rates for my 4:3 resolution. It prints the following supported refresh rates:

The Intel driver correctly reports 4:3 1280x960 @ 144Hz as supported using DXGI. Either CS2 uses a different method to query the supported refresh rates, or they filter out the 144Hz option. Anyway, I've reported the issue at the CS2 Bug reporting email. Consider this issue closed, as it seems to be CS2s fault.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cwasser,

Since you have opened a ticket with the CS2 Bug reporting email and you requested us to close the thread, we will now close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos