Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

AV1 hardware decoding support

diamalex
Beginner

Dear Intel Support! please help me to understand my issue. I want to buy a Chromebook on a Pentium 7505 processor. I read about this processor on the Internet, it says that this Pentium has an Intel UHD Graphics Xe G4 48EUs video core. This processor is based on the Tiger Lake architecture. Intel says that since the architecture of Tiger Lake and Comet Lake (11th generation), the video core can decode AV1 in hardware. So my question is - is it true that if I buy a Chromebook on a Pentium 7505 processor, I be able to watch YouTube videos encoded in AV1 in 4K resolution and at 60 frames per second (hardware GPU decoding)? and will I be able to see HDR video on this processor? please, please explain to me. Sincerely, Alexander

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @diamalex

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure we have the correct information, could you please confirm if you are referring to an Intel® Pentium® Gold 7505 Processor?

Note: This CPU comes with built-in Intel® UHD Graphics. Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics is a different Graphics SKU that is not integrated into this CPU. By any chance do you mean that the Chromebook* also comes with an additional GPU that is Xe Graphics, maybe a discrete Iris® Xe Graphics GPU?

Please provide more details, and you may also share a reference link to the Chromebook with the specifications.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
diamalex
Beginner

Dear Andrew! I'm talking about this chromebook -

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Flex-5-CB-13ITL6-82M7001LGE.593134.0.html

this chromebook has a pentium 7505 processor with graphics Intel UHD Graphics Xe G4 48EUs

so my question is the following - can this graphic adapter be able to decode AV1 in hardware, because the processor belongs to the TigerLake family

Sincerely, Alexander

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello diamalex, 

Thanks for your response. Based on ark.intel.com, your Intel® Pentium® Gold 7505 Processor has Intel® UHD Graphics for 11th Gen Intel® Processors (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208667/intel-pentium-gold-7505-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz-with-ipu.html), 

Based on the datasheet, these graphics supply video decoding for AVC/VC1/MPEG2/HEVC/VP9/JPEG/AV1 ask you can see in the file attached on pages 111 and 112.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
diamalex
Beginner

good afternoon! thank you very much for the answer. Please tell me, how can I find this PDF file on ark.intel.com on my own?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Once you are on the ARK.INEL.COM specification page for a particular processor, there is a Datasheet link that will take you to the page from which the datasheets can be downloaded. For the processor in question, knowing that it is an 11th gen. Tiger Lake (Core) processor, you can scroll down to the section for 11th gen Core processors, click on the down arrow below the section to expose the datasheet download links for Tiger Lake processors and then use the links to download the datasheet volumes.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello diamalex

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello diamalex

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,
Andrew G.

0 Kudos