Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

After Windows 10 Upgrade: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Display driver Intel HD graphics drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

TGrah1
Novice

Computer is Dell M3800 w i7 & Intel 4600, 16GRAM, 256SSD.

Computer also has nVIDIA driver that can be selectively used. I rarely use it - default is the 4600 card.

I use Dell 3000 USB docking station that uses DisplayLink for multiple monitor support. I get the error whether I'm docked or not.

No problems in Windows 7

Upgraded to Windows 10.

*** Problem: System 'freezes' then I get a notification that the display driver has stopped and then recovered. *** This happens randomly with a frequency about every hour or so.

Upgraded driver through Dell Website (along with BIOS and other drivers). Problem still exists.

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Downloaded latest drivers from Intel website. Uninstalled the previously installed driver. Installed the Intel driver. Install warns that the driver is older than the existing drivers. I installed anyway. Problem still exists.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit Download Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Please tell me you have a solution to this. I've looked at other forum entries for this and haven't seen a definitive solution. I'm about to revert back to Windows 7.

Thanks!

135 Replies
MCohe6
Beginner

Hello,

Do you have a program, similar to Acronis True Image, in which you can make an image of your current operating system to an external Hard Drive, like a USB or Network-Attach Storage Unit? If you do, I would suggest that you do so.

Reason, gives you the ability to learn and make mistakes and easily recover from those mistakes, by restoring the operating system and start over easily.

I do it. However, I learned from Call For Help, to partition the Hard Drive and move My Documents onto a separate partition. It is easy to store your Emails, onto a Separate partition as well. They don't need to be kept on the operating system's partition. Favorites as easily backed up.

From the list that you posted, it does not show the Graphics Drivers, but for the Intel processor, itself.

Try creating an image, with no Graphic Drivers installed then use Windows Update to update the drivers and see what happens. From the screenshot you posted, it has other updates available.

Do you install those?

0 Kudos
SMars3
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am really confused and frustrated by the same error, display driver stopped responding and recovered, etc. I have very limited knowledge of laptops/computers and had a Dell technician remotely take over the laptop yesterday to try to fix the problem. He worked on it for about 2 1/2 hours and couldn't fix it. He wants me to send it in to have the graphics card replaced but I don't think it is a hardware problem after discovering this thread.

This is a new Dell laptop with Intel Core I-5-6200U CPU @ 2.3GHz, Intel HD Graphics 520. I am hopeful someone is able to give me some instructions (that I can understand) on how to correct the problem or tell me where to go from here because my daughter's college summer classes began on Monday and she needs a working laptop. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your hardware is ok. DO NOT LET THEM OPEN THE LAPTOP, they might screw it even more. I hope you read my posts above. Man this is so frustrating. Harassment-Packard does not even listen to the customers.

0 Kudos
SBott1
Beginner

Hi Sue (from a Susan )!

I don't work for Intel, but I was having the same problem as you and the newest Intel display drivers, released in the last month, fixed it for me.

The beta drivers Allan_Intel linked to above is applicable for your I-5 6200U. You can check on that page by scrolling down to "This download is valid for the productes listed below." Here's the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25957/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

You should be able to download that driver, then double-click to open it in file explorer. It is a "zipped" archive fie, so at the top of the file explorer ribbon you'll want t click on "Extract" and take note of where the file has been unzipped/extracted to. Navigate to that new folder and look for an executable program, possibly named setup and double-click to start the driver installation process. You'll probably need to restart your system after the new display driver installs.

If this fixes it, great. If not, you may also need to follow Noiziv's advice found here:

I encountered the same issue, but was able to fix it this way:

• Right click your desktop and click on "Graphics Properties..."
  • Once the window opens up, click on "3D"
  • Under the section labeled "Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing," select the option "Turn Off"

That should fix that issue. If that single setting does not fix it, also set "Application Optimal Mode" to "Disable" and "Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing" to "Turn Off," as I have done on my own laptop.

Good luck and I hope your daughter is able to use the laptop for her classes after this.

0 Kudos
SMars3
Beginner

Thank you both, sigh and becool, for your quick responses!

Becool: I'm not going to let them replace my card after reading of all the problems you've encountered.

Susan (nice name ) : I am going to try that download of the driver first and see if it fixes it. Hopefully I won't need to try Noiziv's advice (not sure I would be able to figure it out, lol). I'll post back and let you know if it helps. Need some sleep first before doing anything else though.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Man what you have posted require both time and expertise and unfortunately I don't have both.

Regarding the screenshot, why is it not showing the graphic driver but the processor? Regarding other updates in the screenshot, they might have been installed as I did not change any settings from Windows Update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The link of the driver that you have posted won't work for me as Harassment-Packard uses customized drivers for its laptops. Regarding Noiziv's advice everything was tuned off and disabled except Application Optimal Mode, have set it to disable, fingers crossed now.

And from the replaced unit the engineer from HP collected the idr logfile from the laptop after installing HP System BIOS Update F.79 and Intel Driver v 15.40.23.64.4444. The engineer has checked the enter key and has confirmed that it is defective. According to him the lock is faulty and the key gets stuck in it. He has stated the same as a manufacturing defect.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/290zswl.jpg http://oi68.tinypic.com/290zswl.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/29kqhyo.jpg http://oi65.tinypic.com/29kqhyo.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qn1745.jpg http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qn1745.jpg

NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Has anyone tried

Increase the GPU Processing Time

method from here

http://www.drivethelife.com//windows-drivers/how-to-fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html How to Fix the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" Error on Windows 10.1, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP | D…

Read it on many sites, found it too risky for a noob like me.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

becool773 wrote:

Has anyone tried

Increase the GPU Processing Time

method from here

http://www.drivethelife.com//windows-drivers/how-to-fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html How to Fix the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" Error on Windows 10.1, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP | D…

Read it on many sites, found it too risky for a noob like me.

Hi , and All,

, the link above has to do with Nvidia Graphics, not Intel Graphics.

Nvidia packaged drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 10 all together. If it is working in 7 or 8, it should work in 10 is there thinking.

Intel Graphics with Mouse Support for the Boot Manager works fine in Windows 10 Build 10240, but Windows 10 Core has changed from Build 10240 to 10586 and even more to the next major Public build, this Summer.

Intel Graphics with Mouse Support for the Boot Manager does not work in Windows 10 Build 10586 and newer Builds. The Mouse Pointer is not shown, for people / Users who use a Mouse.

If you remove the Intel Graphics, the Mouse Pointer can be seen,

A Laptop has a Mouse Pad and on Laptops with just one operating system, the Boot Manager is never shown, even increasing The time to display list of operating systems. With more than one operating system, the default time is 30 seconds and with just one, the default time is 1 second.

Right click on Start and select Device Manager and expand Display Adapters. Some Laptops, only have one and others have two.

I'm talking about the Boot Manager, because Intel might have programmed based on the Windows 10 10240 Build instead of using the latest Build.

0 Kudos
SMars3
Beginner

Hi Susan: I just tried the link you posted hoping it would work but received this message: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit.

I am afraid to try the other instructions you listed because of my limited knowledge of computers. Dell support technicians don't have the correct driver either because the one on their site also gives an error message when trying to install. Supposedly they are working on getting another link up, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope after the experiences I've had so far.

Thank you again for all your help!

0 Kudos
CKnig3
Beginner

I've been working this issue ("Intel Graphics Driver has stopped responding and has recovered") on my ASUS laptop for 6 months now. This laptop came with Win 10 already on it, so I did not expect any issues like this. Sent it back to ASUS to have them fix it (not sure they really did anything. Whatever they did had no effect. I've had many e-mail conversations with Intel tech and he was very nice and even called me at home to help me with loading an updated driver. But, just as on the previous months, the problem remains. Intel's solution?....call laptop Mfg. Went back to ASUS and they suggested loading a driver from their website. I thought that finally stopped the errors. Nope, problems still exists.

This should really be some kind of major recall. It seems to be rampant throughout the computer industry, but computer manufacturers seem to be exempt from anything like a recall. I assume they will just wait until our 1-year warranty has elapsed, then suggest we purchase another computer.

This really sucks.....

0 Kudos
SBott1
Beginner

Hey Sue, I got a similar error the first time I tried installing the new driver for my 4700s. It installed the second time though. I thought it was something peculiar to my 4700 systems or way I went about it, so I didn't mention it. It won't do any damage if you try again.

There may also be an option on the message that comes up that allows you to enable use of a non-validated driver (something like "more info" or "details" perhaps). If so, choose to allow the driver from Intel. I'm sorry, but I can't recall specifics now.

Intel is the maker of the CPU and integrated graphics used by Dell and, as far as I know, Dell would simply be repackaging any updated driver from Intel without tweaking it to a specific system. So, despite Windows' complaints otherwise, it should be the correct driver. It would be great if someone from Intel could comment on this though.

The other info from Noiziv is actually very safe to try, can be easily undone, and sounds more difficult than it is. Turning off the 3D options should have no noticeable impact for you or your daughter.

On a general note, even if some change you make to the operating system cause the computer to not work properly, shut down, or fail to restart (obviously if there is a hardware failure this doesn't hold true, but you have no control over that) there is a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive that can be used to fairly easily reinstall your operating system to the state it was in when it left the factory and restore functionality. Some people use factory reset to "refresh" their computer when they think it is sluggish. Not me, but some do. Anyway, a total factory reset doesn't take too long, but usually the operating system recovers on its own with a restart if the wrong driver or setting is chosen.

All that said, I'll try to offer better directions on turning off 3D options below and encourage you to give it a try. I often print up directions, so I can refer to them without having to click back and forth on the computer screen.

1. Close or minimize all programs, so that you are on the desktop.

2. Right click on the desktop to open a dialog menu and select "Graphics properties."

3. The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel application opens.

4, Click on the icon labeled "3D."

5. At the 3D options page, at the top, you'll see "Application optimal mode"; click "disable."

6. The next item down is "Multi-sample anti-aliasing"; click "Turn off."

7. The next item down is "Conservative morphological anti-aliasing"; click the 3rd option down "Turn off."

8. At the bottom of the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel application are icons for restore defaults, save profile, cancel, and a check mark for apply; click the check mark to apply your changes.

9. A dialog box opens informing you that your changes have been applied and asking if you want to keep the changes. Click "Yes" to apply your changes. If you don't click yes within 15 seconds your changes are automatically discarded and the previous settings restored. This is a fail-safe in case your changes make the display unusable and you can't see to click yes or no.

10. Restart your computer.

Let me know, if you try the above, whether the directions were okay and if it helped. My daughter (28 yo) finished a technical degree and is thinking about going back for a professional degree now. I know how important it is to get that computer working for you! Hope it helps & works.

0 Kudos
SMars3
Beginner

I tried restarting the laptop and installing the driver again, but I still received the same error message with no option to use a non-validated driver. In fact, I tried 3 more times just to be sure. Then beginning with your directions, I attempted to turn off the 3D options, but I cannot find Graphic Properties anywhere. When I right click on the desktop it only lists display settings and personalize. I went into both of those and still cannot find anything that says 3D options or graphics properties. This laptop came with Windows 10 64-bit already installed so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Congrats to your daughter! That is wonderful! My daughter is only on her 2nd year, close to an Associate's, and wants to go to medical school after her Bachelor's. She would like to be a doctor for children, but she hasn't decided on a specialty yet. -Thank you so much for all the time you've spent already trying to help me with this frustrating problem!

0 Kudos
SBott1
Beginner

Well, shoot. I'm sorry to hear that didn't work. You did great trying though! Can you click on your Start menu button and then click "All apps," then scroll down to the "i" section and see if there is an entry for Intel HD Graphics Control Panel? If so, then follow the 1 - 10 directions. You're probably correct about that. Mine were upgraded from Windows 8.

Thank you! Congratulations to yours too! What a wonderful profession she's chosen!

You're very welcome! I hope that Intel program is there.

0 Kudos
SMars3
Beginner

Good news & bad news:

Good news is I discovered a program installed called Intel WiDi and when I opened it, it said there was an important update I needed to install. It actually ran seamlessly and seems to have installed with no problem!

Bad news: I searched for the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and it's not on my computer that I could find. I even searched using Cortana but it must not be there or either it's named something completely different.

Guess I'll look online some more for further info... Thx!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It will not install in your laptop because the laptop manufacturers customize those drivers and these laptop manufacturers are very poor in customizing any drivers. Check my first post, I have posted the same error too.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi @ becool773 ,

The Intel Graphics and Media is located in the Control Panel.

Right-click Start. Click Control Panel. View as Small or Large Icons, in order to find stuff, rather than my Category. Click on Intel Graphics and Media. Open in Advance Mode, not Basic Mode to see all settings.

Suggestion: If you have another Laptop to fall back on, I would contact HP Support and explain the situation to them and you can't fix it and would like to send the Laptop back for Repair and have them fix it, since you can't install updated Drivers from Intel, because of their Software Policy and see what they say.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi @ becool773 ,

No, I was not recommending that you change any settings. I was just pointing out where you should find the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

However, if I owned a HP Laptop, I would ask them to fix the Laptop, after removing all personal documents from the Laptop. They personalized the Laptop to their liking and preventing you from making changes after you purchased the Laptop. They are responsible for the Graphics, not Intel. If they can't fix the Laptop's Graphics Display problem, request your money back in Full.

Then you could buy another Laptop from another Company or build a Custom Desktop Computer.

The Dell Laptop, I own, I earn / won for Beta-Testing Anti-Virus Program.

If they will not give your Money Back, take them to Court.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey thecreator

Harassment-Packard has done everything they could, changed the motherboard, installed like 100 different versions of drivers but the problem didn't go away. After 4 months they told me that they will take out the hdd clean it with a cloth and install HP Trial OS in it, if the problem didn't show up again then they would not let me install a MS Windows OS in it. Since I have paid for Windows 10 OS in the laptop's total price so I refused. Then they started making excuses. So, finally I told them that I will take this matter to court so they gave me a replacement that too after harassing me to the core. The dealer did tell me that I can purchase any model of any brand instead of this same very model but I refused since the specs of this model in the price that I have paid were great. My bad Now the replaced laptop has several keys broken in the keyboard and they are not extending my additional warranty which I purchased with the older original unit, previously they told me that they would. They keep on changing the case manager every now and then. Now the new case manager is telling that I should have recorded the conversation with the older manger in which she said that the warranty will be extended. Hell they registered my case after 2 and a half months since I called them first regarding the issue. The main thing is that the Graphic error is still there and they still have no clues regarding the error. I have sent them a link of this thread and several other threads from the internet. If you are reading this Harassment-Packard guys then SHAME ON YOU. One piece of advice that I can give to everyone is NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS. Their customer support SUCKS and they don't care about you once you have purchased their products.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/711vo6.jpg http://oi67.tinypic.com/711vo6.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qn1745.jpg http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qn1745.jpg

0 Kudos