Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Any idea how to fix this problem?

DRitt2
Beginner

I have an ASUS 2-in-1 TP550LA laptop. I have a power problem no one (so far :-)) has been able to fix. If I start the laptop with the power connector disconnected, it boots. However, I can't see anything until I plug in the power adapter. Once that's done, things are fine. If I remove the power adapter, the screen goes black. If I plug it back in, the desktop is still there ... it does not reboot.

I contacted ASUS, they tried some things and said it was the motherboard (I'm not sure I agree). I contacted Intel tech support and they can't help me.

I have done considerable research on this and tried most of the suggestions but none of them work. I saw a video on YouTube where the person had the same issue. His resolution was to open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, choose Battery and disable "Display Refresh Rate Switching." Unfortunately, I don't have that option in the Intel GCP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to use this multi-functional device plugged in all the time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Resolve this hardware problem with Asus. They are responsible for support of your laptop. If they say the motherboard is the problem, then you should have them replace it.

Doc

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

Thanks. That would've been the obvious solution but the laptop is out of warranty.

When I contacted Intel, I was told the drivers must be newer than the one in the video but didn't have a suggestion on how to go backwards (I did try but it didn't work).

I've been working on hardware for 20+ years and haven't seen this one before.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have seen a number of laptops with battery-related power problems.

What is your processor model number?

And, what OS and VERSION are you running. Be very specific.

Doc

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

Thanks for your continued effort(s). The processor is an Intel Core i5-5200 @2.20GHz. The operating system is Windows 10 Version 1903, build 18.362.30. I tried taking the display driver back to a previous version (as per the available drivers listed on ASUS's website) but that didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel generic drivers for your processor can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662?product=85212

Scroll down and look at the left side of the screen under "other versions".

Do you have dual graphics? If so, your should only use the drivers provided by asus.

Using the intel generic driver may cause a loss of functionality for your laptop.

When you install any of these older drivers, windows will likely want to update to what it thinks is the latest. To test your driver theory, disconnect from the net (turn off wireless or unplug lan), and test.

Did this problem occur before 1903?

If the driver does not fix the problem, you may want to look for a new/used board on that auction site.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, can you verify the processor model number? I see only 4th gen versions on the asus site.

Doc

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

Yep ... Intel Core i5-5200, 2.20 GHz. I pulled that from device manager, and I just downloaded Belarc to verify it. Both show the same thing. When I went to ASUS's website, I think there were only 2 older driver versions so I downloaded both. The first attempted install failed ... said the hardware wasn't there. The second installation worked but didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

PS I forgot to answer your previous question - it occurred with the previous operating system (also 10) so I did a new install. Didn't change anything. I got this from one of my customers who always left it plugged in. I assumed she killed the battery but then became convinced that wasn't the issue.

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

Just wanted you to know that I give up. 🙂 Perhaps the ASUS tech knew more than I gave him credit for. I tried every set of drivers from the link you sent me and I get an error message with each installation (the driver doesn't work with this unit - contact the manufacturer). I went to ASUS's website again and tried those drivers again. Nothing is working. I spent 2-3 hours trying to resolve the problem before posting here, and I'm no further ahead.

I didn't want to 'sign off' without telling you I really appreciate all your efforts ... they were exceptional. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thing. Disconnect from the net. Then, in the device mangler (also know as device manager), uninstall the device driver (with the remove/delete software option checked). Reboot, and repeat until you get to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Then, while still disconnected from the net, in the device manager, update driver, browse my computer, let me pick, and install the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". There will be multiple restarts during this test. Just keep uninstalling until you get to the basic display adapter. Once you have installed the basic display adapter (I know, you were already there, so why install it? Trust me.), then test your battery theory one last time.

If it works, it is a asus/intel problem. If not, it is a hardware problem. Then, reconnect to the net. Now, the basic display adapter is what it is. If your battery is working, you may want to try installing the asus driver again.

Other than that, you have to find a board, or a small boat.

Doc

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner

First, I applaud your persistence. I rarely run across anyone who tries more things than I do, or sticks with something longer than I do. 🙂

Second, it didn't work. I backed off the drivers to get the basic driver, and there was no change. I then reconnected to the Internet, had do an update (Intel drivers was one of them), and it still didn't work after the updates were done.

Thanks for giving it your best shot ... I'll concede the ASUS tech was correct when he said it was the motherboard. The unit's too old to justify the cost of upgrading the board so my grandson will just have another computer to use if the one I have for him fails. He has to plug in the laptop I got for him (tried a new battery but it didn't really charge well so he's used to using it with the power adapter attached).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, we tried. Good luck moving forward.

Doc

0 Kudos
DRitt2
Beginner
0 Kudos