Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20911 Discussions

Arc A770 16GB = Can't get 4K x 3 @ 120HZ with HDR to stay on. Monitors keep turning off and on.

Klepper
New Contributor I

I have been a computer tech since 1996, I’m fairly competent; I’ve spent hours a day helping people with their PCs for decades

So I used DDU to remove my previous drivers, and install the card. Install the latest drivers. (31.0.101.4669) 

Setup each monitor to be 4K @ 120HZ with HDR. It sits there for a minute all is well.

Then it starts to flicker and shut down monitors as seen here: 

https://youtu.be/0gP1Jivg2E0

I’m not doing anything to trigger this. 

Turn down the refresh rates to 60HZ on some of them, then they stop flickering. I’ve tried this on a 6650XT, 4060TI, RX 7600, so I know it works with the other hardware. I’m not gaming or anything. I figured with fancy latest ports on it, (HDMI 2.1 3 x DisplayPort 2.0) I should have zero problems with bandwidth or connectivity. 

System:  

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/63834592

W10 x64/64GB RAM/1TB WD SN850X/Intel Arc A770 16GB - As you can see, everything it up to date, latest bios, drivers,  I run a tidy ship. 

I have two of these cables, specs: ULT-WIIQ 8K@60Hz DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 9.9ft, DP 1.4a to HDMI 2.1 Video Cord, Support 8K, 4K@120Hz, 2K@240Hz, VRR, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDCP 2.3, DSC 1.2a

One of these: 

Monoprice 8K (48Gbps) cable. I also have 2 other 48Gbps cables I’ve tried)

And yes three LG C2 4K Flagship monitors. 

Attached is the requested info. 

Labels (1)
17 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your flickering problem; however, based on the inforamtion you have shared, we would like to further look into this matter internally. We will post back as soon as we have more details about this issue.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

Before we continue to look into this matter and for testing purposes, we would like to recommend you use one monitor at a time to discard any compatibility problems. We also noticed that you are using DP to HDMI cables. We always recommend using a straight connection since the use of adapters or converters can cause compatibility problems.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Klepper
New Contributor I

@Jean_Intel wrote:

We also noticed that you are using DP to HDMI cables. We always recommend using a straight connection since the use of adapters or converters can cause compatibility problems.

I agree, but your video card only has 1 HDMI port. 

2023-09-04 09_11_53-ASRock Phantom Gaming Arc A770 Video Card A770 PG 16GO - Newegg.com.jpg

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

This looks like a sync problem.

The ULT-WIIQ cables must contain an active protocol converter. Otherwise, no image would be displayed at all. Based on the technical specifications and the type of cable, I would guess the Synaptics VMM7100. Is this your cable?

MUC_1-1693690035750.jpeg

Please check as follows what kind of chip is installed there. For this check, do not connect both cables at the same time, only one at a time.

1. Plug ONE cable to the graphics card and a display
  2. Download the package attached
  3. Unzip and right click "VmmDPTool.exe" and choose "Run as administrator"
  4. If a dialog box appears stating the Product ID did not match, click Yes to proceed
  5. Continue this way:

MUC_0-1693689457495.png

If CHIP ID = VMM7100 and the firmware version older than 7.02.130 then you can perform a firmware update on the chip using the firmware file in the attachment. Proceed as follows:

MUC_2-1693690244930.png

• Wait for the firmware update process to finish.
  • Disconnect and reconnect the cable from the computer.

Repeat all steps with the second cable.

I have successfully completed the update process myself on a DP > HDMI cable with VMM7100. However, I cannot promise that your problem will go away. But there is currently no newer firmware for this chip.

This firmware does NOT apply to USB-C/Thunderbolt cables ! Do not flash such cables !

Klepper
New Contributor I

I updated the firmware on both cables, (you sure know your stuff!) Unfortunately, it didn't work but you say I need an "active" adapter? Are you talking about something like these: 

DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 HDR Active Adapter

or

SIIG Active DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter 8K

or

UPTab DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Active Adapter with HDR Support

I see other "active" adapters that go from HDMI to DP with USB power, but I can't see any DP to HDMI. 

2023-09-04 09_18_51-.jpg

0 Kudos
jackrobinson
Beginner
Hi. Do you have the firmware for usb c to hdmi 2.1 vmm7100 chip? Specifically for Windows, because the ones that's on the MacRumors forum, are designed for macs and don’t work properly on Windows. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Yes, you can try the attached firmware that Cable Matters offer for their VMM7100 USB-C > HDMI products.

0 Kudos
jackrobinson
Beginner

No, I've tried it before, and it doesn't work either. I have a UGreen 15850 8k 60hz cable. Initially, it displayed no more than 4k 60hz 10bit. However, after flashing it, it locks at 4k 30hz maximum. I've tried every firmware version I could find, but nothing can bring it back. I have an Asus ROG G15 G512LV laptop, which is supposed to support it, but I don't know what's wrong. Maybe it's a faulty cable.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Asus ROG Strix G15 G512 is a Comet Lake platform (10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU). The external display connectors are served via an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GPU (N18E-G2R).

MUC_0-1696967250239.png

If you are using the current Asus graphics driver for this platform but it still doesn't work, it is advisable to ask Asus which cable is needed to use the full capabilities of the USB-C interface. However, they will probably recommend a DisplayPort connection. Unfortunately, there may be an incompatibility with the VMM7100.

0 Kudos
Totaledm
Beginner
This is wrong, using active converter did not fix his issue with gpu.
Intel and The graphic developer is at fault here.

2.1 hdmi works with orginal hdmi cable without displayport converter chip.

Asrock arc 750 has native 2.1 hdmi connector.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

We understand that the video card has only one HDMI port, and you will need to use an HDMI to DP cable. We mentioned the straight connection to inform you about the Intel recommendation.

The @MUC recommendation is assertive, but we recommend you check with your cable manufacturer to check for Firmware updates.

We also wanted to confirm if you have been able to test using a single monitor. We would like to check the outcome of using only one monitor to further look into this problem.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

We understand that the issue remains after updating the firmware to your cables. However, before we continue researching this matter internally, we want to know if the issue is present when using only one of your LG displays. We want to confirm the outcome to discard the possibility of a compatibility problem.

If we can discard that this isn't a compatibility issue, we can continue to look further into this problem.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Did I understand correctly that the update process was completed successfully and both cables work, but the original problem was not solved?

Sorry if I expressed myself misleadingly. The ULT-WIIQ cable with the VMM7100 is already an active adapter. As far as I know, you have the best there is right now. I run the Club 3D CAC-1087 (also VMM7100) on an Intel Arc A380 and achieve this in my home cinema:

MUC_4-1693858347023.png

This image was photographed from an LG OLED65G39LA TV. The used graphics card is a background image in Microsoft Windows. The dark blue box in the lower part of the screen is the On Screen Display (OSD) of the new AV Receiver Denon AVC-X4800H and shows its signal diagnosis. The green writing is the HDfury VRROOM signal diagnostics OSD laced between the source and the AV Receiver.

MUC_6-1693858782585.png

If the display is a JVC DLA-NZ8 projector then this solution can operate at 8K @ 60 Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 10 bpc HDR (40 Gbps, FRL5).​

I tested quite a few adapters looking for the best solution. To my knowledge, there are the following active protocol converter chips:

1. Synaptics VMM7100 (predecessor VMM6100). This is also used in your first link of an "active adapter". However, due to the smaller number of connectors, cables are preferable to those short adapters with socket connectors where you need another cable
  2. Realtek RTD2173
  3. Parade Tech PS196

The RTD2173 is used by Intel on the Arc A770 board to provide HDMI 2.1 Fixed Rate Link (FRL). It is fed by the DisplayPort main link from the GPU. See this. But in external adapters like your linked SIIG product, this chip did not convince. Embedded in adapter housings, it often has a problem with heat build-up and then becomes unstable. But there are people who have already equipped these adapters with cooling fins and allegedly had better success then. I tested this one.

The PS196 is almost unavailable on the market. I tested this cable. With the Intel Arc A380, the cable works well with TMDS up to 4K @ 60 Hz. FRL for higher refresh rates is usually not present and if it is, then the picture has small optical errors. What's causing this will probably never really be known in the signal chain I'm using. However, this cable works very well with the Nvidia RTX A2000. One could therefore assume that Intel's interface compatibility is somewhat worse than that of Nvidia. Adaptive Sync is grayed out although HDMI VRR is reported by the EDID. But VRR does not work properly with any adapter or converter cable on any GPU brand. This cannot be attributed solely to the GPU anyway, since the display also plays a major role.

Your third link leads to a TMDS adapter. HDMI 2.0a, 4K @ 60 Hz only!

It's been my experience that HDR can regularly cause issues. Can your 3 TVs/monitors be operated stable at 4K 120 Hz at the same time without HDR?

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

We are jumping in the thread to confirm if you have been able to test using only one monitor at a 4K @ 120HZ resolution with HDR enabled or if you followed @MUC recommendation to use all three displays with HDR disabled.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Klepper
New Contributor I

HDR on/off does not correlate with the problem. 

The problem appears to be that even the Active DP to HDMI adapters are not able to work as advertised when under a heavy bandwidth load. I am going to put some heatsinks on them just for fun to see. Because it did sort of work for a while. Maybe overheating is the problem. But it did mostly work with the AMD card, so I'll go back to that and Return this Arc 770.

Joys of the bleeding edge. 

PLEASE leave this thread as I'm sure others will benefit from MUC's EXCELLENT mad tech skillz. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

We are sorry to hear that you decided to return the Arc A770, but we understand your decision. We will keep this thread open for a few days to see if you change your mind and would like to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

As for your request, we would like to inform you that even after closing the thread, this will still be available, and people will be able to see all the interactions. We know that MUC's posts will continue to help users with similar issues.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Klepper,

Since we have not received a response from you in some time, we will now close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

As we mentioned before, the thread should be visible even after closing it.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos