Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21079 Discussions

Arc A770 HDMI doesn't support 144hz anymore, Stuck at 120hz

Amio_Pial
Novice

I build a new PC a few months ago, My monitor is LG 24gn60r which supports 144hz.

For the first couple of months, it was working fine and showing 144hz in the advanced display settings but just recently I checked and it was running at 60hz and in between I have updated the GPU drivers a lot of times so I think that is causing the problem. 

When I plug the cable to the motherboard HDMI port it works fine at 144hz but when plugged into the GPU it's capped at 120hz.

Is there any way to fix this while plugged into the GPU?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

From the SSU report:

System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D99)
Processor: 13th Gen Intel Core i5-13500

Card name: Intel Arc A770
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz
HDR Support: Supported
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020
Monitor Model: LG ULTRAGEAR
Monitor ID: GSM5C19
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080 @ 143.981 Hz
Output type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported

We can try to go into details but I can't promise that we will be successful.

1. The easiest solution is to leave the HDMI cable connected to the HDMI port on the motherboard. In this configuration, display output is handled by the processor integrated graphics and the Intel Arc graphics card continues to render games or other GPU-intensive tasks.

2. You can connect the monitor to the Arc A770 using a DisplayPort cable.
0 Kudos
Amio_Pial
Novice

Thanks for the reply, It was working fine before on the GPU HDMI and I was told that the monitor plugged into the GPU directly can enhance performance. 

Can you let me know what is causing this or if there's any way to fix it to run 144hz with the GPU?

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

The fact that the SSU report shows that the monitor capabilities max out at 144 Hz proves that the information is getting from the monitor to the driver, but for some reason the driver is not activating the settings. This could also be due to Windows or one of its components. It's almost impossible to attribute this to a single influence, so the only option is to try different drivers or even reinstall the entire operating system, although there's a chance you'll end up back where you are now. Since I cannot look into the driver's routines itself, professional debugging would only be possible by Intel engineers and could take weeks with an uncertain outcome.

However, I have no indication to assume that your system will have poorer performance if you connect the HDMI cable to the motherboard. Your Arc A770 GPU will still be working at full capabilities. Only the display engine will be unused. That part will be carried by the processor integrated engine.

MUC_0-1716232662135.png

DisplayPort cables are pretty cheap for this bandwidth requirement, so this would also be a fast option if you want to keep the cable at the Arc A770.

Amio_Pial
Novice

I appreciate you taking the time to explain and help out. For now, I will plug the HDMI to the motherboard and hopefully, new updates will resolve the issue I will also try to get a display cable to test if that works with the GPU. 

I will notify the updates on this thread in case anyone else is facing the same issue, It might help them out.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos