Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Audio stutter and no DTS-HD passthrough with latest HD Audio Driver for Display Audio

drpernar
Beginner

Hey guys,

I am struggling with my new Surface Laptop Studio with the Iris Xe Graphics and the latest HD Audio Driver (2022). There is no possibility to passthrough HD audio signals via HDMI, also the normal sound is stuttering and laggy. I have read somewhere, that with the old Intel Display Audio Driver 10.26.0.9 there are no issues, but I didn't find that driver.

The same problem was with the Surface Pro 8, as it also uses the Intel Iris Xe Graphics card.

Is there any solution from Intel, how to solve this audio problem, or where to find the old functioning driver? This is a crucial thing for me to keep the new laptop, as I use it with my home cinema. With the old Surface Pro 5 and Intel Iris Graphics + Intel Display Audio driver there was never a problem and all HD signals can be passed through.

Thanks in advance and greetings from

Robert!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your system, we will do our best to help you. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  2. Short video of the issue. 

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hello Josue O.,

thank you for your reply. Concerning your questions:

1. Yes, I have installed the latest Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio OEM drivers-pack.

2. I have made two short videos showing the disturbance effect when performing a normal Windows sound test. 

I have connected the Surface Laptop Studio via a HDMI cable to a Denon Receiver. The sound problem (disturbance, lag, no DTS HD output) is always the same, no matter if I use different HDMI-cables, the Surface docking station + HDMI-Adapter, another thunderbolt HDMI-Adapter etc. So it is a driver problem of the HD Audio Driver for Display Audio. 

With the old Surface Pro 5 and the old Display Audio driver there was never a problem. I have both the old Surface and the new Surface Laptop Studio side by side for testing and whatever I have tried the sound problem persists.

Also, when using the famous player KODI and selecting WASAPI (Denon...) as an output source there is no chance to get an DTS HD output. Only when I select the Direct Sound output device, then I get a DTS sound, with lags, but this is not a solution for me as I am using the Surface Laptop Studio in my home cinema environment where I need the DTS HD (or other HD) output.

I think, a driver update from Intel can for sure solve this problem, so that I driver called HD Audio Driver for Display Audio is indeed able to passthrough HD audio signals and not only having such a name. Furthermore, that at least a normal Windows sound test can be performed without lags/errors/problems.

Thank you in advance for any help or tips,

best regards,

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hi Josue O.,

thank you for your help. I think a driver update would fix the problem easily.

Regards from

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

In this case, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from our download center and save the installer on the computer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

Also please make sure to be running the latest BIOS update on your system, for instructions on how to do this, please contact Microsoft to get specialized support on BIOS updates on Surface laptops. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hi Josue O.,

I have performed every step exactly as you described, but the problem still persists: Windows sound check with disturbances, no DTS-HD audio passthrough.

Perhaps the driver needs another update?

Regards from

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, we noticed the system is also using an Nvidia graphics card, have you confirmed if the audio passes exclusively via the Intel graphics? Are there any settings in the BIOS that were changed to make this?

Also, what happens if you connect the system to a tv/monitor with speakers? Does the issue persist?

It is important for you to know that we do not recommend the use of adapters or dongles in between the system and the output device as this can cause several issues. Please try using a straight connection (HDMI to HDMI) and test if the issue persists. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hello Josue O.,

the NVIDIA RTX 3050 is a built in graphics card within the Surface Laptop Studio, together with the Intel Iris Xe graphics card.

Independently, the issue was the same with the Surface Pro 8 which has only the built in Intel Iris Xe graphics card (no further NVIDIA 3050 card), therefore I have returned the Surface Pro 8 and took the Surface Laptop Studio - which is much better than the Surface Pro 8, but the sound issue is annoying for such an expensive hardware.

I didn't find any settings to exclusively pass the audio signal via the Intel Iris Xe graphics card. Whenever I connect a monitor or TV via a HDMI adapter (thundertbolt to HDMI, Surface docking station to HDMI, another standard USB-C dock to HDMI), I see within the device manager - audio, video and game controller 2 times the HD Audio Driver for Display Audio and the issue persists.

I have to use a HDMI adapter as the Surface Laptop Studio has not an integrated HDMI port.

Within the BIOS there is no setting concerning the graphics card(s), audio or routing of audio.

There is no difference whether I connect directly to a monitor or TV with built in speakers (e.g. LG Oled TV) or to the DENON receiver which further passes the signals to a TV.

As I've said, an Intel driver update would be necessary. Sadly I suppose you do not have a Surface Laptop Studio in your office to reproduce the issue.

Any further ideas? Is the Intel driver HDMI 2.0/2.1 certified?

Thanks in advance and regards from

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for the information provided, we will continue investigating the issue and post back son with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Hope you are doing great and staying safe, please share with us the model of the TV and monitor that have been tested. This will allow us to try to replicate the issue on our end and try to find a solution. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hi Josue O.,

I have tested the following TVs:

- LG OLED 48C17LB: I use it as a monitor

- Philips PFL 58PFL9955H connected to a Denon AVC-X4700H receiver

I don't think the TV/monitor model is important, the most important factor is the connection via HDMI to my DENON receiver, here I use my home cinema environment and here I need the DTS-HD output. 

To replicate the issue you will need a DENON receiver, or any other receiver being capable of DTS-HD audio data input, and a Surface Laptop Studio or Surface Pro 8. The TV/monitor in this scenario does not play a role at all for sound, as I use an external 7.1 sound system, which is connected to the Denon receiver. 

I suppose there is a bug in the existing driver...

Regards from

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for the information provided, we will continue investigating the issue and post back soon. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

I think there is a misunderstanding, in this case, please confirm if the issue is present if you connect the laptop directly to a tv or a display without the DENON receiver or if it only happens when connecting the system to the receiver. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hi Josue O.,

the issue happens when connecting the Surface to the DENON receiver capable of receiving HD audio signals and having a 7.1 sound setup in the following form: 

- sound stuttering when having a Stereo output, e.g. when using normal Windows sound test of the selected audio device

- no sound at all when having a HD audio signal output, e.g. from KODI or VLC media player when playing a movie with DTS-HD sound and using WASAPI HDMI DENON AVR audio device; using the direct sound audio device works but will not deliver a HD audio signal, so useless for me.

When connecting the Surface directly to the monitor using conventional Stereo sound there is also some stuttering.

I hope this clarifies the situation. The crucial thing for me is the DTS-HD audio signal/passthrough, which was possible before with the old Intel graphics card of the Surface Pro 5 without any problem, but now it is not possible with the new Intel Iris Xe graphics card with exactly the same settings within KODI. I have experimented days, not hours, but no chance to get the HD output working. I think, the Intel driver is not programmed bug-free concering normal Stereo output or DTS-HD audio passthrough. Till now, my only hope is a driver update...the best via Windows Update.

Best regards, 

Robert! 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for the clarification, we will continue investigating the issue and we will post back soon. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

In this case, we will try to replicate the issue in our lab, in order to do this, please share with us a clip or video with the sound issue. This will allow us to correctly identify the issue in our lab and try to find a solution. 

Also, in case there are specific steps you need us to test please let us know. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hello Josue O.,

I have made the video clips showing the disturbance for a normal Windows sound check, see above. Concerning the DTS-HD sound there is simply no sound at all when playing a movie with DTS-HD.

To replicate the issues in your laboratory you need a Surface Laptop Studio or a Surface Pro 8, a HDMI-adapter for the thunderbolt/USB-C port, a DTS-HD capable receiver (e.g. DENON or similar) with speakers and a monitor/TV.

You can perform two tests:

1. Connect a Surface Laptop Studio or Surface Pro 8 with the HDMI adapter to the receiver (HDMI in), and connect the monitor/TV also to the receiver (HDMI out). Then perform a conventional Windows sound test (like in my video clips above). You will hear a stuttering Stereo sound. No matter how often you repeat the test, or whatever speaker configuration, the stuttering sound will come regularly, sometimes with some noise between.

2. Use KODI or VLC mediaplayer to play a movie with DTS-HD and select WASAPI  HDMI DENON AVR audio device (not the direct sound audio device), as only this device passes through a DTS-HD signal. You will hear no sound, but see the movie playing. The receiver will not detect the HD audio signal.

If you have the hardware, the tests are relatively easy to perform. If you have an old Surface Pro 5 both tests would be successful without any disturbance or issues.

Looking forward for some news.

Best regards,

Robert!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drpernar,

Thank you for all the information, we will try to replicate the issue and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello drpernar, 

We have tried to replicate this issue with the latest drivers (30.0.101.1404 and 30.0.101.1631), Windows 11, and our Yamaha RXV485. However, we did not get the same behavior.

At this point what I can recommend you is to check this with Denon and with your laptop manufacturer (Microsoft) for further investigation.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
drpernar
Beginner

Hello Deivid A.,

thank you for your information. I will check if Microsoft can help for further investigation. Perhaps it is a Surface-bug and not an Intel one.

In the meantime I have tested several other adapters and other DENON receivers - always the same problem, no DTS-HD output.

But I have found a solution for me - a very expensive one: I have bought a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 eGPU Gaming Box, connected it via thunderbolt to the Surface and look there: a premium DTS-HD output with absolutely no problems ;-).

I know this solution is not for everyone, as it means another great investment. But for me it is at the end the best and most flexible solution with several advantages:

First of all, I can stay with my Surface Laptop Studio, which is perfect for me - all other laptops, even premium ones, e.g from Razer, do not offer the same possibilities like the Surface - and they are by far louder, the Surface is noiseless.

With the eGPU I have several HDMI 2.1 ports, all capable of HD-audio output, I can connect several 4K 120Hz TVs/monitors or even 8K 60 HZ which would never be possible with the internal Intel Iris Xe graphics card. The eGPU is low noise and independent of my Surface, so whenever I will buy an new laptop in the future, the eGPU will serve me again not only for home cinema, but also for any other portable solution.

So at the end, there is a happy end - thank you very much for your effort.

Best regards from

Robert! 

0 Kudos