Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

BUG: Can't deactivate addaptive brightness

BLampert
Beginner

Hi,

after searching several hours and trying different approaches I try my luck here. I got a new Thinkpad P15 and want to deactivate this annoying Adaptive Brightness Feature. It is driving me crazy. In the Intel Control Center there is an option to disable it when on battery but no option while plugged in (see screenshots). Is there any way to disable the adaptive brightness or when can you fix this bug?

Best regards

Bastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello BLampert,   

Thank you for your reply. 

We even double-checked internally and yes, that is a feature that relies on the laptop custimzations. Therefore, I wil highly recommend you to keep working with Lenovo* for further help on this.  

We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional questions or if you need further support, please submit a new question as this one will no longer be monitored.  

Regards,     

Sebastian M     

Intel Customer Support Technician   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BLampert
Beginner

Addition:

Please find the SSU results attached. There is also no entry in my energy profile below "Display".

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello BLampert, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Sometimes, the adaptive brightness is a customization that the laptop manufacturer (OEM) can change, and installing the Intel® generic graphics drivera will overwrite your OEM customized driver. Please try the following: 

1. Perform a clean installation of the OEM driver, you can use the steps below or check with your OEM for help: 

1. Download the OEM driver and save it on the computer.  
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  7. Install the driver that was downloaded on step 1. 
  8. Restart the computer. 
  9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

2. Check if you can disable the adaptive brightness from Windows following these steps: 

1. Open the Windows Control Panel. To launch the Control Panel, type control panel in the search box located on the taskbar, then select Control Panel. 
  2. Select Hardware and Sound
  3. Select Power Options 
  4. Next to your active power plan, click Change plan settings 
  5. Below, click Change advanced power settings 
  6. Scroll down to Display and expand Enable adaptive brightness 
  7. Set both On battery and Plugged in modes to Off 

If the issue persists: 

1. Press Windows + S and launch Task Scheduler 
  2. Go to Task Scheduler Library and expand it 
  3. Expand Microsoft Windows 
  4. Select Display 
  5. Choose Brightness and disable or delete the task BrightnessReset 

3. If doing the above does not help, then you may want to check with Lenovo* for further help on this.

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
BLampert
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

thank you for your response. I tried your proposed solution without success. I asked my question now in the Lenovo forum and hope to find a solution there:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/BUG-Can-t-deactivate-addaptive-brightness/m-p/5050308

regards
Bastian

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello BLampert,   

Thank you for your reply. 

We even double-checked internally and yes, that is a feature that relies on the laptop custimzations. Therefore, I wil highly recommend you to keep working with Lenovo* for further help on this.  

We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional questions or if you need further support, please submit a new question as this one will no longer be monitored.  

Regards,     

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos