Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

BUG: dwm.exe uses memory leakage with Intel HD Graphics 630

Cody
New Contributor I

Hi,

dwm.exe (Desktop-Window Manager) uses high memory with Intel Intel HD Graphics 630. This problem has been reported before:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-windows-manager-dwm-memory-leakage-in/c2968fb0-ee26-4483-9f08-dfa19149cd24

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/iqttw5/windows_10_dwmexe_high_ram_usage/g4umzyn/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Here's a screenshot of my dwm ram usage after 2 hours (1.6 GB):
Image1.jpg

Please, this bug is already known for 3-4 months, and I do not want to reinstall a 2019 driver...

1 Solution
Gabriela_Intel

It seems that everyone has posted positive results so far about beta driver 101.1121 resolving this dwm leak issue. I'm going ahead and marking this thread as resolved! Please note that we'll specifically call out this fix in the release notes of our next production driver release to the Download Center which will be found here once available.

Special thanks to @HKlum@TurboTacho@Ansuel, and the MANY others that dedicated their time testing and providing various dump files. I really appreciate you all sticking by our side after all this time to make sure this long-standing problem gets resolved. You folks are what make this Community forum so great. We couldn't have done it without you! 😊

For those of you that continue to exhibit issues: Please create new individual threads so we can assess if it is a separate issue or not for your particular case.

Thanks again everyone!!

View solution in original post

612 Replies
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@pbc That AGAIN, has zero information value. It can stay hours at a higher value. The memory is just released if not shared with other processes anymore, or needed by the OS.

0 Kudos
Jessy16d
New Contributor I

Two days without restarting 120MB DWM.exe, but after closing everything returns to 40-60Mb

Only intel iGPU doesn't free up V-RAM (300MB in usage) with nothing open, but is that normal?

I think it is normal, due to the windows processes.

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

@Jessy16d 
How does one find out how much V-RAM is used by the Intel iGPU?

0 Kudos
Reck
Novice

@Almighty1 ,

If I'm not wrong, it would be the memory shared with the system

Reck_0-1637355810322.png

HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@Jessy16d @Almighty1 Irrelevant. Stop debating about VRAM, no relation to this topic or has any meaning in this. iGPU VRAM is dynamic and working as intended. No issue there. You can see it with HWINFO for example.

From my side, there is still all looking good. No leak after +48h and continuing to work as intended.

0 Kudos
Kweek
Beginner

I think i have found something. Haven't went though all the 28pages of this community post, so I hope I'm bringing news.

I felt like my computer was having performance issues (which disappointed me for a 2.000€ gaming laptop). I also had this Memory Leak issue. I found an option - which allows you to change how your computer's GPUs are used : for instance, mine would use both Intel's integrated GPU and my nvida at the same time. As I am using an MSI computer, this option name was "MSHybrid Graphics Mode", that i switched to "Discrete Graphics Mode" using Dragon Center. Apparently this is also doable from your BIOS if you cannot change with your computer software. I think, this might be it. Hope this help !

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

@Kweek wrote:

As I am using an MSI computer, this option name was "MSHybrid Graphics Mode", that i switched to "Discrete Graphics Mode" using Dragon Center.

Switching the video card has nothing to do with the problem! In this way, you simply ignore the problem.

HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@Kweek You are just disabling the Intel iGPU with that option OFF hardware side after a reboot... obviously this would "fix" the issue because your laptop wont use the Intel iGPU and drivers anymore. That not hard to understand, no? Very rare laptops have a switch like that. And it is not to recommend to use the dGPU as the main GPU, draining battery in seconds and having fans spin all the time.

0 Kudos
stirolxd
Beginner

Microsoft broke something again after the update and the service dwm.exe again loads ram by 2gb or more. I contacted Microsoft support - they said, write to the manufacturer of your equipment.

PC Spec:

Intel Core i7-7700

GTX 1080

RAM 16gb

Windows 10 Pro x64

When the integrated graphics card is disabled dwm.exe it starts working stably.

0 Kudos
stirolxd
Beginner

Deleted all previous versions of the driver, after running the installer gives error 8.. Or should it be done with integrated graphics enabled?

0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@stirolxd What kind of question is that? OF COURSE you need to (re)enable the iGPU first again in bios/per laptop tool, reboot, and THEN install the driver.

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

@stirolxd 

It would help if you actually screenshot the version of the drivers with the problem and also winver as we do not know if the actual drivers are v30.0.101.1121 or if your drivers got rolled back to an earlier version. 

0 Kudos
pbc
Beginner

Noticed my screen flicker out of the blue while working this morning as if it was installing a display driver.  Went into device manager to check the  driver version, and it is 30.0.100.9955.  Is that because Windows senses a beta driver or something and automatically reverts to the latest non beta version?  When I installed the beta I checked the "delete previous driver" or whatever the box was.

Running an i7-10710U.

0 Kudos
Reck
Novice

Hi @pbc , 

in that case you can use this guide: How to disable automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows Central

I used that and no driver has been reinstalled through windows update since many times it has updated me to the bios and it has presented me with problems with the audio and from that I keep the driver updates blocked from there

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

@pbc wrote:

Noticed my screen flicker out of the blue while working this morning as if it was installing a display driver.  Went into device manager to check the  driver version, and it is 30.0.100.9955.  Is that because Windows senses a beta driver or something and automatically reverts to the latest non beta version?  When I installed the beta I checked the "delete previous driver" or whatever the box was.

Running an i7-10710U.

The answer to that question is anytime you install a new version of a driver and it's not the same version as what Windows Update wants and the system had never installed that version before, it will install that version only once and you just have to run the installer of the driver which is v30.0.101.1121 over it and then all will be well.  When you do a clean install as in right clicking until it says Microsoft Basic Driver, that also erases all traces of all versions of drivers so you will need to run the installer for v30.0.101.1121 and then goto Windows Update until you see it downgrade you, then immediately run the v30.0.101.1121 installer and you will not see the downgrade again until Windows Update somehow wants another version of a driver your system had not seen before.

0 Kudos
Reck
Novice

Hi, for my part and doing all the tests that in my case made the memory leak appear and also testing with the other forms published here, on my side I can say that the problem has been solved.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gabriela_Intel

It seems that everyone has posted positive results so far about beta driver 101.1121 resolving this dwm leak issue. I'm going ahead and marking this thread as resolved! Please note that we'll specifically call out this fix in the release notes of our next production driver release to the Download Center which will be found here once available.

Special thanks to @HKlum@TurboTacho@Ansuel, and the MANY others that dedicated their time testing and providing various dump files. I really appreciate you all sticking by our side after all this time to make sure this long-standing problem gets resolved. You folks are what make this Community forum so great. We couldn't have done it without you! 😊

For those of you that continue to exhibit issues: Please create new individual threads so we can assess if it is a separate issue or not for your particular case.

Thanks again everyone!!

TurboTacho
New Contributor II

Hi @Gabriela_Intel ,

Thank you very much for pushing for us to get the ball to the finish line. I enormously appreciate you, @Bryce_Intel , as well as the devs and engineers in Intel labs working behind to get this DWM memory leak resolved.

I'm thankful for all these weeks and months of testing, developing for the benefit of every user out there, and am grateful to be part of the community in here.

I wish all well, and please send my regards to everyone working behind-the-scenes

Take care and stay safe, till we catch up again here

Cheers!

HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@Gabriela_Intel @Bryce_Intel Everything looking great still on my side, so I am confident, the issue is finally fixed. Thanks again Intel and also MSFT, also happy I was able to contribute helpful information to make it reproducible and then able to work on a fix. Thank you too Gabriela for your open ear and communication with us on here.

Gabriela_Intel

Hi again everyone! I know some of you aren't fans of using beta drivers so I just wanted to let you all know that production (non-beta) driver 101.1191 with the dwm fix has been posted to the Download Center.

Happy holidays!