Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20970 Discussions

BUGS: 31.0.101.5522 WHQL flickering in MAME emulator and Max Payne won't quit

hexaae
Novice

My rig:

ASUS G834JY (with Advanced Optimus) i9-13980HX + 4090 laptop, Windows 11 23H2.

I tested all Intel drivers available here:

hexaae_0-1718032349944.png

and they all have the same two issues:

1. MAME (known arcade emulator) will show annoying flickering... See games with smooth horizontal scrolling like "Shinobi" or "Rastan" and you'll notice background is flickering while scrolling: looks like a double-buffering persistency issue of some kind... Intel drivers from ASUS 31.0.101.4502 has no flickering issues.

2. good (very) old game Max Payne on Advanced Optimus mode, run through the Intel UHD iGPU of i9-13980HX, won't quit on exit: the task "Maxpayne.exe" will just hang on quit and stay running in background. Won't happen on NVidia gfx card in dGPU-only mode. This game also ignores Windows 11 settings to force hi-end GPU usage and will always run on Intel UHD (when in Advanced Optimus mode) for some reason but this might be a Windows bug...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello hexaae, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. I appreciate the testing that you have done , however I did notice that you are using a laptop. Since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. 

I do want to ask, is the same issue happening when you are using the recommended driver from the ASUS website for the Game Max Payne? The reason I ask is because the bugs you mentioned was not happening with the MAME software when using the OEM driver. 

I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
hexaae
Novice

Of course, it happens with every Intel driver version I tested and mentioned above.

MAME issue seems a bug in the drivers: I tried also official Intel 31.0.101.4502 driver package (same version of ASUS package) and indeed the issue is not reproducible with this version, just like with the ASUS recommended driver (apparently there is no difference or customization in ASUS drivers). The problem occurs with any later version.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello hexaae, 

Thank you for the confirmation of this information. Kindly allow us sometime to check this for you and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
robert0289falco
Beginner

I like the way you made this post. This post is helpful for me and other people who need it. Medical Insurance California

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello hexaae, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon coordinating with our team, I want to let you know that we have dedicated forum for this type of issue, where you can get faster answers. As such, I am moving this to the Developing Games on Intel Graphics Forum for you.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
hexaae
Novice

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid there's a total misunderstanding on your part. Please, re-read the first message.

Max Payne is an old game (2001), not a game in development...

0 Kudos