Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Black Screen Due to Intel Hd Graphics 4400

PC7
Beginner

I'm using Dell Vostro 3545 ,, i3 4005u with Intel hd graphics 4400

From a while ago (August) my screen turned to black.

The only way I can get my screen back is by uninstalling Intel Graphics Adapter from safe mode.

After booting up normally windows auto install the driver and it goes black again.

I set up TeamViewer to view what's happening behind.

I noticed in Graphics Control Panel that... 

Display is Set to VIRTUAL DISPLAY and there are multiple resolutions which doesn't even support my laptop monitor.

I was using windows 8.1 when this happened did a clean install multiple times and currently using windows 10 Home Still the issue persists.

I have tried latest drivers already. Nothing helps.

Amy help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

PC7, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked on Dell's website and I was not able to find the "Dell Vostro 3545" just to confirm are you sure the model of the laptop is correct? I did find the "Dell Vostro 3546" though.

According to Dell's web site, the latest Intel® Graphics driver available for "Dell Vostro 3546" is version 20.19.15.4835, A07, please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=8v48y&oscode=wt64a&productcode=vostro-3546-laptop

Also, I noticed in there that there are graphics drivers available for Nvidia, by any chance do you know if your computer is working with a Dual-Graphics configuration?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your laptop.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you use TeamViewer or Remote Desktop to access a system remotely, Intel Graphics Control Panel will always indicate that it is a Virtual Display. This has absolutely nothing to do with your blanking problem.

I see urgent advisories and BIOS updates for your system. Are all of these installed?

What specific monitor are you connecting to the system?

How are you connecting this monitor to the system? What interface? What cable type? Any dongles/adapters?

What driver version(s) did you attempt to use with this processor? List both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers that you tried.

...S

0 Kudos
PC7
Beginner

When my laptop was working fine and was booting fine I used TeamViewer to double check that if it will show virtual display or not. And no this time with TeamViewer it showed "Built in Display".

So this Virtual display has to do something with my black sceeen and if you noticed in my attached photos there were multiple resolutions that my monitor doesn't even support. My laptop monitor native resolution is 1366*768.

Also I'm talking about only the default Monitor of my laptop, no cables or external monitors attached.

No my laptop doesn't have dual graphics config.

It only have integrated graphics.

I have updated both bios and graphic Driver as listed on the dell website.

I'll try to attach the report soon.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

PC7, Thank you very much for providing that information.

No problem at all, once you get the chance please provide the SSU report so we can further assist you:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
PC7
Beginner

I'm attaching the SSU report please have a look.

Also from the very first post i have attached images of Intel Hd control panel one of which shows the list of "extra" resolutions.

Saw something more weird in device manager that in monitor section there 2 Non pnp hidden devices are present.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the iGFX is the only GFX solution you have, you can try running on the latest driver from intel (15.40.46.5144). It can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29804.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
PC7
Beginner
I tried 15.40.46.5144 this driver as well but doesn't help.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello PC7, We are sorry to hear the issue with the black screen persists.

At this point, one of the things we can try will be to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit including the graphics portion of the Intel® Processor, so if it passed the test it will indicate that the unit is working fine and that the problem, in that case, will be related to a different component in the laptop, once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello PC7, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
PC7
Beginner
Hello,
Sorry for replying late.
Yes, I did ran the test every test passed.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi PC7, No problem at all, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is actually great that the Intel® Processor passed the Intel® PDT test because that confirms that the unit itself and the graphics portion of it are working properly, with no problems.

So, at this point, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop to report this scenario, to verify if they might have a possible solution for it, to take the computer to them for a physical inspection and if necessary, to get their warranty options on this device since the problem seems to be related to a hardware issue with another component in the system:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
PC7
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

PC7, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Dell should be able to further assist you with this matter.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos