Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Black screen after installing Intel HD Graphics 630 driver

TBarb7
Novice

The screen turns black as soon as Intel HD Graphics 630 drivers are updated.

All other drivers are installed and updated.

Everything works normally until the driver is being installed. During the installation process the screen goes black. The cursor does not appear and the keyboard is still lit.

Whenever i restarted the laptop, after the windows loading screen, the screen goes back to black. The solution is to enter safe mode and uninstall the HD Graphics 630 driver, therefore using the Microsoft Basic Video Adapter.

However, with this basic driver, the laptop performance drops in applications that require graphics processing, making it impractical to use in such situations.

Apparently, the issue started after the CMOS battery was replaced to a new one. The system clock is properly set tho.

I tried these possible solutions:

• I tried to install several versions of the driver, which were available on the dell website itself or on the intel website, and all of them had a black screen during the installation.
  • I disabled Windows Update because it was Installing the driver automatically and the screen was turning black after a few minutes, so it doesn't work too.
  • I have also completely uninstalled the nvidia and intel drivers using DDU and tried to install hd graphics 630 drivers, but the black screen still persists.
  • Tried to update using the device manager. Same thing, screen still turns black.
  • I also tried to use an external monitor to see if there was video, the issue persists.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567

Windows 10 Pro version 1903

Bios version 1.10.0

Intel HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Intel Core i7-7700HQ

17 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TBarb7,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

Based on the descripton of the problem, it seems that the problem is being caused by the hybrid graphics and the way they work to enhance power and performance. Intel recommends using only drivers provided directly by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) as they are customized and validated for your system configuration.

The recommended method to install the drivers on these types of computers is through the Device Manager, which will install the latest drivers deployed by your OEM. When using a hybrid graphics solution, installing the Intel driver first is recommended unless advised differently by your OEM.

If you would like to force the latest generic DCH driver available for Intel® HD Graphics 630, you can try these steps below. Keep in mind that this option is not recommended as it overrides any customization done by your system manufacturer.

1. Download the latest DCH driver from downloadcenter.intel.com and save it on your Desktop.

Intel® HD Graphics driver version 630 26.20.100.7158

2. Disconnect from the Internet.

3. Uninstall any existing DCH Graphics driver via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

4. Uninstall the (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

5. Restart the computer.

6. In Device Manager > Right-click on "Intel® HD Graphics".

If "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is already listed skip to step#10.

7. Select "Uninstall device".

8. Enable the option "Delete the driver software for this device" and click "Uninstall".

9. Restart the computer.

This should delete any non-DCH driver stored on Windows driver repository. Repeat steps #6 through #9 until "Intel® HD Graphics" changes to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

10. Install the DCH driver downloaded in step #1.

11. Restart the computer.

12. Reconnect to the Internet.

13. The (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel should be downloaded automatically after a few minutes upon restart. If it doesn't, go to Microsoft Store and download it.

14. Restart the computer.

We noticed that you are also using third party tools to uninstall the drivers. If the issue persists after performing the steps recommended, we recommend you to contact your OEM to obtain further instructions to perform a clean installation of the drivers using a method validated and test by them. In this way, they can also attempt to reproduce this problem using the exact hardware and software.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

Hello! Thanks for replying.

When step 10 is done, the screen turns black. I can't proceed to further steps. The only way to fix it is going to safe mode and unninstalling DCH drivers.

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

Is there any way to configure the Intel® Graphics Control Panel without having the drivers installed?

MuradMRzayev
Beginner
I did everything possible. Still same problem.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@MuradMRzayev   This thread is four years old.   Start a new thread, with full information, and explain your problem.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TBarb7,

The Intel® Graphics Control Panel is only available on systems that use Intel® Graphics Controllers with the correct drivers installed. However, it is no longer included with the driver installer with DCH Graphics drivers.

After installing DCH drivers, the Intel® Graphics Control Panel should download and install automatically from the Microsoft Store. Even after this change, it is required to have the correct graphics driver running on the computer to optimize your system.

If you are still unable to install any driver (DELL* or Intel), we recommend you to contact your OEM based on the information provided on my previous post.

If you have any further questions, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
LOliv17
Novice

Conseguiu achar alguma solução?

0 Kudos
LOliv17
Novice

Então é só trocar o processador para que possa resolver o problema? Complicado ler isso saber que pagará quase 7 mil reais em um notebook e com 1 ano e 2 meses ele tem um problema praticamente irrecuperável. Tenho um Acer Helios 300 ... Como foi que você confirmou isso?

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

No meu caso, cheguei à essa conclusão após tentar de tudo para tentar encontrar uma solução e não ter sucesso. O que fiz foi impedir que os drivers do intel graphics atualizassem e continuei utilizando ele com um monitor externo. Como o meu notebook na época estava 3 meses fora da garantia, não consegui mandar para conserto. Eu poderia optar por enviar também para o reparo com algum técnico, mas não optei por isso por não encontrar uma assistência técnica competente na cidade onde moro.

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

Tenta todas as soluções possíveis. Atualizar a bios, tentar instalar diferentes versões do driver do intel graphics, etc. Se nada der certo, tenta acionar a garantia, e se não tiver mais o jeito é procurar uma assistência pra ver se conseguem identificar e reparar o componente. Ou então utiliza o notebook com o monitor externo (depois de conectar o cabo hdmi no computador e no monitor, vá apertando windows+p pausadamente até que apareça vídeo somente no monitor externo)

0 Kudos
LOliv17
Novice

Good afternoon. I was using my notebook on an external monitor and it froze the screen. Now it doesn't even load the BIOS anymore. He are in technical assistance here in the region. They tested the motherboard and claimed to have normal component voltages. They suspect the BIOS is corrupted. In addition I found a link here on the forum of a person with a similar problem, better than that, someone who has managed to solve the problem (which I had not seen until today!). It is just an attempt ... As soon as I have a response from the assistance I inform here on the forum.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Black-screen-with-Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-40-on-Windows-10/m-p/464915

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should have started a new thread.

If the bios does not load, or is corrupted, you need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
LOliv17
Novice

I don't think I should start a new topic. I am giving feedback on the problem we are facing. I'm not looking for support for rewriting bios, but rather informing TBarb7 about how i dealing with problem.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you most definitely should start another conversation!

Everybody's issues *are* different. When issues could be, for example, caused by something as esoteric as order of installation, etc., this makes every person's problem unique. Secondly, the higher the number of separate conversations occurring because of an issue (or the cause of this issue) will raise the priority of this issue in the eyes of support (yes, it *does* make a difference!). Thirdly, when a second person gets involved in a conversation, it can cause the original person's problem to get lost and potentially not be addressed.

...S

0 Kudos
Reza_Deni
Beginner
hello, im here to inform that I'm too had the same problem. my laptop is a Dell inspiron 15 7567 with GTX 1050 (non ti)

my story was, i was trying to clean the exhaust fans and applying new paste. but I wasn't aware of what I did wrong, i think i accidentally removed the cmos battery which somewhat make my windows wrecked for no reason (known by me)

and with my knowledge, I reinstall everything had multiple problems here and there almost lost all my campuss work. tho I've managed to save all of them in one of the success windows install.

from all the install processes i kept getting that darn black screen while installing the Intel HD driver. I've never had this problem before, ever.

I got a bit stressed since I had no other clue. I'm in a weekend and I'm not expecting some service center genuine enough to work on my laptop. plus i still had classes I need to attend and submit my assignments.

after all my efforts searching, I found this thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/black-screen-after-installing-intel-r-hd-graphics/644e00e3-4a41-4f1d-8416-2d139de08d54

I'm trying this method for now. and just hope for the best
0 Kudos
Amer46
Beginner
Hello, I faced the same issue with my laptop toshiba p50 a11 l ,when I enable intel hd graphic 4600 driver the screen turn black ..so here the solution I hope it'll help you...first download this program "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)" this program will help you to detect the last driver of intel you can find it in intel website ..install the program and check the last update of intel hd graphic .after that when you install the last update of the graphic driver here the computer will restart and the black screen will return again ..you have to disable the driver in safe mode again and restart the computer ..when the computer turn on in vga screen here you should to download and install this program "teamviewer" in the laptop and other device like your android phone (you can find the app of the phone in playstore)..just search in google how to use this program...finally after installing and configuring teamviewer program to control your computer here you should to enable intel hd graphic driver and restart the computer and try to control your computer from your phone you'll notice that the computer turn on with black screen but in your phone every think is ok even the graphic driver...just you need from your phone to disable and enable the driver from the device manager and the screen will turn on with intel hd graphic driver enabled...this solution it worked with my computer but the problem is you should to enable the driver with your phone every time when you restart the laptop...hope this solution will help you ..tell me if it worked with you.
0 Kudos
MuradMRzayev
Beginner
Same problem i have. UHD 630 GPU update gives a black screen
0 Kudos