Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Black screen (with mouse cursor) after returning from screen off

xaviergonz
Beginner

Windows 11
Asus M16 (intel i7 11800h + NVIDIA 3700gtx)

When waking up from modern standby "sleep" (more precisely, screen off) the screen will show the mouse cursor with no background. The only way to fix it is to reset the graphics driver (via shortcut keys) or having a background program that changes the screen hz.
How to reproduce it:
1. Set the desktop display to 2560x1600 at  anything other than 60hz (e.g. 165)
2. Start a game that uses opengl as fullscreen renderer using the INTEL graphics card. It should change your hz from the desktop one to e.g. 60hz. In my case Baldur's Gate enhanced edition is the one that triggers it reliably (it also happens to change the resolution, but I'm not sure if it is related).
In other words, if you use directx it won't happen, if you use windowed mode it won't happen, if you use the nvidia card it won't happen., and if you use 60hz as desktop frequency it won't happen.
3. Close it the game
4. Press the sleep button
5. After the keyboard lights turn off press any key to turn it on
7. You will see the mouse cursor moving, but nothing else.

Video (not from me):
https://youtu.be/_EEIHpqwOWY

More info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusM16/comments/qpma5j/black_screen_with_cursor_when_waking_up_in_battery/

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
xaviergonz
Beginner

I just made some tests and apparently if we hook to the GUID_MONITOR_POWER_ON power notification and then call ChangeDisplaySettings with an empty DEVMODE structure when the monitor turns OFF (not on) then that call "fixes" the black screen

```

RegisterPowerSettingNotification(hwnd,
ref Interop.GUID_MONITOR_POWER_ON,
DEVICE_NOTIFY_WINDOW_HANDLE);

// ... when WM_POWERBROADCAST with wParam PBT_POWERSETTINGCHANGE and POWERBROADCAST_SETTING.data is 0 (powering off)

var devMode = new DEVMODE();
devMode.dmSize = (short)Marshal.SizeOf<Interop.DEVMODE>();
ChangeDisplaySettings(ref devMode, 0);

```

I can make a service that does this to avoid the issue, but it would be better if it was fixed in the drivers themselves.

0 Kudos
xaviergonz
Beginner

Not sure if related, but apparently the call somehow "rounds" the display frequency to integer hz.

While the game sets the hz to 165.04hz, the call makes this a round 165hz. The odd thing is that Windows 11 will only let you select 60.03, 82.52 and 165.04, while the screen available modes will show 60, 75, 100, 165.

However I've seen the hz is set to 165.04 and yet keeps working, so maybe it is unrelated.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before? If yes, when did the issue start happening?
  2. Does it only occur when running Baldur's Gate?
  3. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  4. Have you reported this issue to the OEM?

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
xaviergonz
Beginner

Was it working before? If yes, when did the issue start happening?

It never worked, but then again this laptop is only one week old

Does it only occur when running Baldur's Gate?

No, it has also happened from time to time without running Baldur's Gate, but running it is the only way I could reproduce it always.

Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?

Yes, same result

Have you reported this issue to the OEM?

No, I haven't

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

We recommend performing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic graphics driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
xaviergonz
Beginner
Hello Josue,
unfortunately the issue remains
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
xaviergonz
Beginner

Another thing I noticed is that if I use a resolution other than 2560x1600 (e.g. 2560x1440 or 1920x1200) then it works ok :-S

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

Please try performing a clean installation of the drivers using the ones provided by the OEM, you can download them from the following ASUS site:

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/2021-rog-zephyrus-m16-series/helpdesk_download

Since you are using hybrid graphics on the system, our recommendation is also to check with the NVIDIA graphics just to make sure that from their side, everything is working fine. Hybrid graphics is a feature some systems include which allows the computer to use both discrete or integrated graphics cards depending on the tasks it needs to perform, in this case, it is always recommended to use the drivers provided by the OEM since this is a customized and optimized version of the drivers intended to work specifically with your system. The drivers we provide are the generic version which is intended to work with all systems regardless of the brand. 

It is important for you to know that as per the video you shared with us, several users with this same laptop model seem to be reporting the same issue you are having even when using OEM drivers, because of this, you may need to report this issue to the OEM since it seems to be related to the laptop itself. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello xaviergonz,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
xaviergonz
Beginner
Hello, I could not answer earlier since my account was banned until I provided more personal information for some reason.

I tried with oem drivers and the latest nvidia drivers and same result.

Either way, feel free to close the issue since I've just returned the laptop. Thanks for looking into it.
0 Kudos