Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Blank windows on certain apps after most recent Windows 10 update

SLim26
Beginner

Hi, I've run into an issue with certain windows being blank after the most recent Windows 10 update. I think it might be a compatibility issue between the most recent build of Windows 10 and the Intel graphics driver. The issue only affects certain windows of specific apps. Details below. Thanks for your help!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After the most recent Windows 10 update, I noticed that specific windows of certain apps appeared blank. Specifically, these are: the table relationships screen in Power BI; the video on WebEx; and the 'Generate Password' and 'Save Password' windows in 1Password. Updating to the most recent Intel HD Graphics driver did not resolve the issue. Rolling back to the previous version of Windows 10 resolved the issue.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP Folio 9480m

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue <strong style="font-style: inherit; font-size: 13.3333px; font-family: intel-...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RagingAvocado

Thank you for joining the community.

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLim26
Beginner

Thanks - config file is attached. Please note that in the current configuration, the issue doesn't manifest - it was when I installed the latest Windows 10 update that I had the issue and I've since rolled back to the prior version of Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RagingAvocado

Thank you for your response.

You can try to install the generic driver version 15.40.38.4963 for your Intel® HD graphics controller. Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
  15. And let me know if you have any issues with the installation.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RagingAvocado

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RagingAvocado

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLim26
Beginner

Thanks very much! For the time being, I think I am going to hold off taking any action because it would require me installing the latest Windows update, then trying out your suggested fix above, and if that doesn't work, then I'd have to roll back my Windows install which seems like a lot of work when everything is working fine right now. So my plan is to hold off installing the Windows update until I'm forced to and if needed, I'll try out your suggested fix then.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RagingAvocado

Thank you for your response. If you have any other question don't hesitate to post back.

Thank you.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
KHawk
Beginner

Hi - I have exactly the same issue after the most recent Windows update. Some apps have blank white windows.

I too have been informed this is an Intel graphics driver issue. I tried updating to the latest video drivers and also followed this post for the generic installation restarting each time and still have the same issue. It seems to effect most Java applications and also the Sonos Desktop application.

Any further suggestions ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xAPPO

Thank you for joining the thread.

In order to assist you better with the specific problem that you are having in your system. I recommend creating a new thread. Please make sure you add the information requested on /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761, pictures of the error and the version of drivers tested on the system so we can get more information about the problem.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SPlat3
Beginner

I`ve found only 2 possible workaround for this issue:

1) use default Microsoft driver instead of Intel`s one.

2) rollback Intel driver to oldest available version in Windows. In my case it was one of 2015 year intel video drivers.

DKler
Beginner

I've been struggling with this issue for over a year. I started using a virtual Windows running on top to be able to use GoToMeeting, inSSIDer, Adobe Digital Editions, etc etc.

Tried out the suggestion to install an old driver (2015) and thank god (and SPlat3!) this worked. Glad I'm able to run my app natively again 🙂

FYI: got a HP Elitebook 850 G3 with Intel HD Graphics 520 running the latest Windows 10 update.

0 Kudos