Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Booting from partitions larger than 2.0tb

idata
Employee

I tried this with the old DP35DP RAID controller, and the official word was NOPE (and I was obviously never able to get it to work).

But now I've just ordered a P67 Sandybridge board (Asus P8P67 to be exact) and a new i7. While it hasn't arrived yet, I have the same question again:

I have three 2.0TB 7200rpm hard drives I would LOVE to put in RAID 5 (4.0TB total size), and have that as my primary boot drive in Windows 7 x64. Does the new raid controller in the P67 chipset allow for *booting* from a RAID partition larger than 2.0tb?

(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes... )

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Does the new raid controller in the P67 chipset allow for *booting* from a RAID partition larger than 2.0tb?

Unless Intel have pulled a rabbit out of their hat for the P67 the answer for booting a partition bigger then 2TB is no and only yes for non-booting.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

I can't see why the new chipsets shouldn't support this. Heaven knows enough people have been asking for it here for some time. As long as you have an Extensible Firmware Interface (or EFI), a GPT-initialized drive (as opposed to MBR), and a 64-bit modern OS technically you SHOULD be OK to go. Technically if manufacturers are advertising their boards as supporting EFI and it doesn't work (and it's crucial to you), then you could try to get a refund based on the fact it's not what you were led to believe it would be. Maybe someone can chip in here with experience who's tried it? My old Intel DG45ID won't support boot volumes above 2TB either (despite being advertised as UEFI compatible)

0 Kudos