Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20639 Discussions

CAN I INCREASE MY DEDICATED VIDEO MEMORY ? THESE ARE MY SPECS

mdaxish
Beginner

I HEARD ABOUT SOME BIOS STUFF THAT  U CAN INCREASE YOUR DEDICATED VIDEO MEMORY FROM BIOS IN LAPTOPS, WILL IT BE SAFE ? THESE ARE MY SPECS!,AND THANK U LAST GUY FOR REPLYING MY PREVIOUS QUARY

Generic PnP Monitor and Intel(R) UHD Graphics Properties 19-09-2022 18_04_58.pngSettings 19-09-2022 18_03_51.png

System Information 19-09-2022 18_10_48.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

First, do not be afraid to release the CAPS LOCK.

Second, dedicated memory is controlled by your bios, and will do NOTHING for you.   Your graphics memory is dynamically allocated up to 50 percent of your system memory.

If you have games that rely upon dedicated memory, get rid of them or upgrade to modern games.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al is correct,
1. Settings in the BIOS have no affect on the dedicated video memory in Windows; they apply only during BIOS operation.
2. Despite what you might have read elsewhere, there is currently no support for changing the minimum dedicated video memory via the Windows Registry - and no, there are no plans to add this capability.
3. In Windows, Video memory is dynamically allocated and deallocated based upon current needs. Up to 50% of available memory may be allocated at any point in time, based upon needs, for this purpose.
4. Any software, including games, that refuses to run due to this is, quite simply, broken. This bug is in the software's code base and thus must be addressed by the software developers.
Sorry, reality bites,
...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Jameswalter This discussion is about dedicated vs system memory.   Please read the thread before you attempt to answer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos