Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can't fix overscan with intel command center.

Taavi
New Contributor I

I have a computer with an intel gold processor and I have installed intel command center to try and fix an overscan problem when i hook up my computer to a tv with HDMI. I read that the scaling option should have a "custom" option but I don't have this. What is the problem? Please, anyone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Taavi
New Contributor I

The problem is finally fixed!!  😊   The custom setting was under "Display 2" in command center.  But I know I have looked at "maintain display setting" before under both Display 1 and 2, and did not see "custom" before... with the pc connected to the tv. I don't think I even saw it when I first got up command center about 15 minutes before I finally found it. So I don't know what happened, but it finally fits the tv screen!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

Is this what you need?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes.  One of the Intel support engineers will be in touch.  Remember, it is the weekend.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Taavi, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Based on the information showing in the SSU report, we can confirm that the graphics driver currently installed on your computer is version 27.20.100.8935, provided by HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-15-dw0000-laptop-pc/26185492/model/30734199/swItemId/ob-265386-1

That should be the proper driver for your device, tested and validated by HP. The Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform. Still, for testing purposes, we can try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.100.9955 following the instructions in the links below to confirm if after that you can see the "Custom" option for resolutions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also advise to get in contact directly with HP support to make sure that the BIOS version currently installed on the laptop is the latest one or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Please verify the details in the following link where you will be able to confirm that some options in order to correct overscan were removed from the Intel® Graphics Command Center:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057700/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

The download for the graphics driver isn't working. The download completes, but when it comes up with the message about allowing to make changes to your computer, I select Yes, and nothing happens.

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

Im meaning the intel dch driver download. It also caused my computer to be very delayed in responses, when the download completed, like it had  a virus or something.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Taavi, Thank you very much for providing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after installing the Intel® generic graphics driver.

"like it had a virus or something.", there are no reports about the Intel® graphics drivers containing viruses, but your computer might have, please run an anti-virus scan in order to rule out that possibility.

"The download completes, but when it comes up with the message about allowing to make changes to your computer, I select Yes, and nothing happens", as an alternative you can try to install it as an administrator. And it is expected to find some anomalies when installing a generic driver since it does not contain the customizations done by HP.

So, the next thing to do in this case, since the problem also happens with the graphics driver provided by HP, will be to get in contact directly with HP support, to report this scenario, to check if they have a fix for this situation, to verify if they can replicate the issue using the same exact computer that you have, to confirm if a physical inspection of the machine will be needed and for further assistance on this matter, warranty options may apply on this position and if there is a fix that they need to add to their customized driver they will work with Intel® internally on trying to add a fix to the driver that is available in their website.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

I also forgot to add that the freezing up was gone immediately when I deleted the download from my file folder. Scaling down the desktop to fit the display on a tv screen should just be one of the basic settings on any computer. You should just be able to go to settings or control panel and fix this. That is so ridiculous. Why does adjusting the desktop have to be such a big deal? So I guess this is a closed case. I really don't know where to go from here.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Taavi, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

What is the model of the TV?

Just to make sure, did you try to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of it to report this scenario? Most of the TVs have an option where you can change some settings in order to adjust/fix overscan problems, they should be able to provide further details about those options.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

LC320EM9 is the tv model number. There's apparently nothing in the settings menu on the tv to fix overscan. I have a feature to change the layout of the picture, like "expand", "Zoom" etc, but this isn't for fixing overscan. No, I haven't contacted HP.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Taavi, Thank you very much for letting us those details.

In that case, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Taavi, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still doing research on this case:

Are you using an HDMI to HDMI cable, or are you using adapters/converters to connect the TV to the laptop?

Could you please provide a picture so we can see the overscan issue? 

Are the edges cut off at the bottom of the screen?

Please run the Intel® graphics report while the TV is connected to the laptop and attach it to the thread:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

Are you using an HDMI to HDMI cable, or are you using adapters/converters to connect the TV to the laptop?

I'm directly connecting the tv to computer, no converter box or anything like that.

Could you please provide a picture so we can see the overscan issue? 

I don't know how to upload pictures to a computer.

Are the edges cut off at the bottom of the screen?

yes, as well as the top and sides.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Taavi, Thank you very much for clarifying that information.

We will continue with our research on this matter, once I get more details I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Taavi, I just received an update on this matter.

Do you have the option, for testing purposes, to use a different TV/monitor?

Did you try the troubleshooting steps provided in the link below?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057043/graphics/graphics-for-8th-generation-intel-processors.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Taavi
New Contributor I

The problem is finally fixed!!  😊   The custom setting was under "Display 2" in command center.  But I know I have looked at "maintain display setting" before under both Display 1 and 2, and did not see "custom" before... with the pc connected to the tv. I don't think I even saw it when I first got up command center about 15 minutes before I finally found it. So I don't know what happened, but it finally fits the tv screen!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Taavi, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem was finally fixed and now it properly fits the TV screen. 

Thank you very much as well for taking the time to share the solution in the Intel® forums, we are sure it will be very useful and helpful for all the peers looking at this thread.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos