Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Can't get 5.1 surround sound from laptop to TV through HDMI. Only stereo available to select in configure.

TOldf
Beginner

My Xbox one is currently connected to TV by HDMI and then optical from TV to Receiver and no problems passing on surround sound. But same concept with laptop doesn't work.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Whose laptop? Provide model and manufacturer.

What processor does the laptop have?

What version of windows 10? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
TOldf
Beginner

Asus UX303UB

i7-6500U

Windows 10

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Looks like you need to contact ASUS, as your laptop uses "ASUS SonicMaster Technology"

From the specifications, I cannot see that it supports 5.1.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX303UB/specifications/

Also, it uses nvidia graphics (from the specifications).

Doc

0 Kudos
TOldf
Beginner
Hmm I thought I would start with Intel since when it's connected to the Tv it uses the Intel Display Audio driver. I've got it to put out 5.1 before in a different setup. Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your best path is to check with ASUS on what the real specifications are.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
TOldf
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No. Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
TOldf
Beginner

eh this is what I see when I run it. No toolbar?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Click on Next and then use the Save button to save the report to a file. While logged onto this site, click on the Reply button below this message and then attach the file to your response using the little paperclip icon that you will find just below the response message edit box. Finally, use the blue Reply button to post the response message.

...S

0 Kudos
TOldf
Beginner

Thanks, here we go.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, I am seeing the Intel HD Audio device and driver but not the NVIDIA HD Audio device or driver. To be honest, I do not know what this means. Does it mean that, when control switches over to the NVIDIA graphics engine (in a game or whatever), the Intel HD Audio device and driver disappear and the NVIDIA ones replace them? It that's the case, then how does the NVIDIA solution get the EDID information to know what audio is possible? As I said, try connecting PC --> Receiver --> TV and see if this resolves the issue. If not, talk to Asus and find out what their solution is doing.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This issue comes up from time to time.

First of all, let me say that the correct path for audio/video is Devices (laptop, XBOX, etc.) --> Receiver --> TV. This will allow the Receiver to output 5.1 surround sound even if the TV in use only supports 2.0 (i.e. stereo). Modern receivers are capable of returning a hybrid EDID signal that has the video capability information from the TV (from its EDID) and its own audio capability information.

Now, as you are connecting it with this XBOX, you need to remember that this XBOX has a single active graphics engine and this simplifies the situation. In this laptop, on the other hand, you have the complexity of two active engines, the Intel engine and the NVIDIA engine. Both solutions have digital audio drivers and both solutions can support up to 7.2 output over HDMI. The question is: who is currently in charge when the EDID information is provided and whether, when the other is in change, they have this information to work with. Al is correct that you will need to talk to Asus regarding how they have designed this hybrid graphics solution and whether there is an issue.

...S

0 Kudos