Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Can't update Intel Graphics - "The directory name is invalid."

RoundRocks
Beginner

My OS: Windows 10 pro x64 1909 (OS build 18363.959)

I am trying to install the latest version of the Intel Graphics Driver for 3rd gen version 15.33.50.5129 (I have i7-3770k).

I have one 38 inch, curved monitor, LG 38UC99-W, that is connected to both a NVIDIA card (GTX660) and the onboard graphics. I only use the NVIDIA for viewing but I also need the Intel Graphics to be installed for various programs (eg: Edius).

My currently installed Intel Graphics version is 10.18.10.5069 but it is corrupt and not installed correctly. If I uninstall it, the only way to get it back would be to restore the computer via a disk image I have.

This is what happens when I try to update the current driver:

I downloaded the driver from Intel.
Intel's assistant says that my computer is compatible with the above version.
When I install via the installer, it says that it's installed successfully and asks to restart.
After a restart, the Intel doesn't show up in the "Display Adaptors." The Device Manager only shows a yellow error under "Other Devices\Video Controller." This is the point that I would have to restore the computer to start over.

I tried in Safe mode as well. Same thing.

When I try to manually add legacy hardware, I choose display adapters/Intel, and the above version is in the list.

When I click next, it tried to install but stops with an error, saying, "The directory name is invalid." (attached screenshot)

I even used Procmon while manually installing but there were no invalid entries.

I also tried to manually install by using "I have a disk." Same issue.

The event viewer shows this manuall attempt as "information" and says: "Driver Management concluded the process to install driver igdlh64.inf_amd64_756c8daeea5a4d7d for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10 with the following status: 0x10B."

If I then try to install other, older versions of the Intel Graphics Driver, I can't seem to install ANY version. I get the same issue as mentioned above.

Googling status 0x10B or "Intel" "Graphics" "The directory name is invalid" did not find solutions.

I am the administrator and used take-ownership software on various folders that contain driver files but it didn't help.

I also tried DDU to fully remove the old Intel driver & NVIDIA and then reinstalling the new one. Didn't help.

Any advice on how to get the Intel Graphics Driver installed?

mmc_r9qcRWYHGK.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RoundRocks
Beginner

I don't have an "EDIT" or "DELETE" option. Admins, please delete this post.

0 Kudos