Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can we recreate the screen reset that happens when you change the resolution in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel?

ZGerb1
Beginner

We still suffer from the screen flickering issues that some 7th gen Intel processors with onboard graphics experienced (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026580/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors.html). While we are fully up to date with all of our Dell and Intel drivers, we still see occasional flashing and none of the proposed solutions have helped consistently.

After troubleshooting, we found that changing the resolution and reverting from within the Windows 10 Settings menu does not stop the issue, but that changing the resolution and reverting from within the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel stops the issue every single time. It isn't permanent, but it allows users to keep working. Is there a way to bottle that command or function into a scripted shortcut so that users do not need to go through the many steps traversing the Intel HD Graphics control panel?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I am going to need more information of your system which is affected with the screen flickering. First, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, I would like for you to attach a video of the screen flickering so I can have it here as a reference as well. 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

Sorry for the delay. I have both a video and the DxDiag export log

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

System wouldn't let me attach both to same post

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

Were you able to check my previous post?

Please provide me with the information so I can assist you.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

Thank you for your response.

Upon reviewing the information you have shared I can see that you are not running the latest O.S build provided by Microsoft*, please proceed to update either by windows update under "Settings", or else, download the updater tool from the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once done, please go into device manager and look for "Intel ® HD Graphics", right-click on it and select the option "Uninstall", check the box that says "Delete driver software". Once done, right-click on the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and select "Update Driver". 

The steps above will make your system download the latest driver tested. Check to see if the issue happens even with the latest updates.

Let me know the outcome please.

David V

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

We have had ongoing screen flickering issues with these configurations through multiple Windows 10 feature upgrades, but I understand your need to address the preliminary troubleshooting steps. I will update once I have the computer running 1903.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

I appreicate you taking the time to complete this, please let me know outcome. I'll be here to assist you further.

David V

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

I have one system on 1903 and am upgrading the others. Once I have all of the post-1903 updates installed, I will capture another set of dxdiags from the computers

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

I understand, please let me know the outcome.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

Have you been able to test the behavior with the 1903 build?

Let me know so I can assist you further.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

David V

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

We do still have the issue happening on computers with the 1903 update, but resizing the resolution (and reverting to keep things the same) does still stop the issue each time as long as we do it from the Intel console. If we resize from the Windows 10 Settings menu, it does not stop the issue, so the Intel console does something unique when changing resolution that we would really like to be able to use more easily.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

How long does it take to start flickering again after you change the resolution with Intel ® Graphics Control Panel? Also, have you tried other cables to connect the systems to the monitors? 

What task or application is running when the flickering starts again? Or does it happen randomly? 

Please let me know so I can have more details.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ZGerb1
Beginner

The screens usually stay functional until a restart or undocking the laptop to go to a meeting, then redocking. The strangest part is that changing the resolution in the Windows settings menu doesn't stop it, but changing the resolution from the Intel menu fixes it every time - the Intel program does something special that the Windows setting menu doesn't do. The fix isn't permanent, but it at least lets the user continue their work. We have switched the connection cables with new cables, but have not tried different connection types. The current connection for that laptop uses one VGA and one DVI connection. The dock also has an HDMI port, but the monitors do not.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ZGerb1,

At this point, what I can recommend you to do is to try with the latest drivers provided by the system manufacturer or validated for your system. 

Please try the following: 

1 - Open Device Manager.

2 - Look under display adapters, right-click on "Intel ® HD Graphics" and select "Uninstall while also selecting the option "Delete drivers" as well.

3 - Once you have "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", right-click on it and select "Update". Wait until the update is complete and then reboot your system.

Once the steps are followed, check to see if the issue persists. 

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello ZGerb1

Have you been able to test the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers on the system?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello ZGerb1

I haven’t heard back from you; please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos