Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Core ultra 8k support

Rickst
Beginner
Have new asus zenbook with core ultra 7 155h. Have samsung qn900c 8k tv. Can not get computer to output more than 4k thru either hdmi2.1 port or thru thunderbolt 4 port
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Is this your device?

MUC_1-1706661238866.png

MUC_0-1706660940762.png

HDMI 2.1 TMDS = HDMI 2.0a (4K @ 60 Hz)

Which Thunderbolt cable did you try? Please provide a link to the product.

0 Kudos
Rickst
Beginner
Thank you for the reply.
Yes that is my device
Below is the Amazon link for the thunderbolt to hsmi adaptor
https://a.co/d/dVQ8zfM
I will buy a different adaptor if necessary. Also below is amazon link for hdmi 2.1 cable I am using
https://a.co/d/bHp6njE
Thanks again
Thanka
0 Kudos
Rickst
Beginner

MUC here is a little more info if this helps

ARC driver version 31.0.101.5008

Intel states that core ultra supports up to 2 monitors @ 8k 60hz.

and HDMI 2.1  with the newer  HDMI 2.1 FRL standard. 8k 60hz

And 8k 60hz on the Display port  ( I am assuming this means thunderbolt4 via display port alternate).

The main reason I upgraded computer was for the new arc graphics as it stated it supported 2, 8k 60hz displays.

so i assumed that i should be able to get at least 1, 8k 60 hz display.

When I go into the display adaptor properties the highest listed resolution is 4096 x 2160 @ 60hz, so does this possible need a driver update?

here is excerpt from tv manual ( i have input signal set to on) 

Read Before Connecting a Computer (Supported Resolutions)
Check the resolutions supported for PC input signals.
When you connect your TV to a computer, set the computer's video card to one of the standard resolutions listed in
the tables below. The TV will automatically adjust to the resolution you choose. Note that the optimal and
recommended resolutions are 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (UHD models), and 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz (QN7**C series or
higher). Choosing a resolution not included in the tables can result in a blank or fl̈ʀ̧ʪθ̈͝˝ screen or can turn on only
the receiver of the remote control. Refer to the user manual of your graphics card for compatible resolutions.
The native resolutions are 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (UHD models) and 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz (QN7**C series or higher) with the
Input Signal Plus set to On. The native resolution is 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz with the Input Signal Plus set to Off.

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Yes, Input Signal Plus must be activated on the TV.

Nevertheless, according to ASUS, the laptop only has one HDMI port with Transition-Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS). This enables a maximum of 4K @ 60 Hz. Unfortunately, it often happens that Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) like ASUS do not (want to) route the full capabilities of the integrated graphics to the physical port. This requires certain components on the laptop motherboard that are apparently not considered necessary in case of HDMI because of being associated with consumer electronics which are usually content with 4K.

However, you should be able to achieve 8K on the TV via one of the Thunderbolt ports with the existing equipment. The USB-C > HDMI adapter is good. Please try updating its firmware as described by Cable Matters here:

Cable Matters 201388-A Firmware Update to Fix Compatibility and Performance Issues

0 Kudos
Rickst
Beginner

Connecting 8k thru the thunderbolt 4 port would be just fine. I would be happy as a clam (as I only get 4k thru the thunderbolt 4 port now)

I ran the cable matters firmware update tool and error message reads (Initalize gpu library failed)

If in your opinion you have had luck with a different adaptor. I would be willing to give it a try

Thanks again

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

The adapter you linked contains the active protocol converter chip Synaptics VMM7100. This is the best device currently on the market in this regard. I use the equivalent cable.

MUC_0-1706902625021.png

Please make sure that the adapter is also connected on the HDMI side to the switched on TV with a cable while attempting the update. If this fails, please try another HDMI cable.

If that doesn't work either, you'll need to contact Cable Matters and state that you have a laptop with Meteor Lake graphics. Since this is brand new, another firmware update from chip manufacturer Synaptics may be required.

0 Kudos
Rickst
Beginner

I tried connected thru adaptor with tv on.  That did not work  so I ordered another HDMI 2.1 cable, and emailed Cable matters support.  we'll see what happens🤞

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Did you have success? Have you received a response from Cable Matters?

0 Kudos