Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Crash with UHD 770 in WPF applications using Viewport3D

AsgardXIV
Beginner

Hardware:

* Intel UHD 770 (Driver: 30.0.101.1404 - latest at time of writing)

* NVIDIA RTX 3090

If I run (or drag over) any .NET WPF application (tried with both .NET 5 and 6) which uses the Viewport3D control on any monitor connected to my 770 graphics, I either get awful performance or it straight up crashes (usually a crash but occasionally it'll run terribly for a while before crashing).

It works fine on monitors connected to my 3090, therefore I am guessing this is a driver issue.

Even building this sample is enough: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/3d-objects-in-wpf/

I've attached a sample app which will repro it.

Crash is as follows:

UCEERR_RENDERTHREADFAILURE (0x88980406)
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x88980406): UCEERR_RENDERTHREADFAILURE (0x88980406)
   at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AsgardXIV
Beginner

I've been able to confirm this with various configurations now.

• For machines with only integrated intel graphics: Crash/performance issue always occurs. There is no workaround
  • For desktops with integrated and discrete: Running on a monitor connected to integrated graphics results in a crash. Running on a monitor attached to the discrete graphics will work correctly (tested with both AMD and Nvidia cards)
  • For laptops with integrated and discrete: Running on integrated (the default) will experience the crash. Telling windows to use the discrete card for an application will resolve it.

As far as I can tell, this only happens with 12th gen although my access to other gens is limited.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AsgardXIV,

We understand you have opened a web case with us and we will continue to help you through that channel now. We will therefore close this community case. Thank you.

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Roberslayer
Beginner

Hello.

I am also having the same problems with ViewPort3D in wpf.

It can be tested with a well known wpf application called materialdesigninxaml (http://materialdesigninxaml.net). When executing the application in the "Cards" section, there are some objects that use the ViewPort3D. These objects are not displayed correctly.

I use these controls in my applications. In other windows 11 work well. The difference with other pcs is in the motherboard and the processor.

My pc hardware:

i7 12700k

Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P

No graphics card

Best regards.

Roberto.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello @Roberslayer ,

We do appreciate your response. However, this thread is no longer being monitored by Intel.

We will be more than happy to help you, so I recommend you open a new thread and share your system and issue so you can get proper support on this issue.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,
Deivid A.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos