Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

DDA on Intel HD Graphics P630?

mnaum1
Beginner

Need to pass through the GPU to one of my VM guests and heard about DDA in Windows Server 2016.

So before i go and buy the licens for WIndows Server 2016 i need to know if its possible with my hardware.

Is it possible to use "Discrete Device Assignment" (DDA) on Intel HD Graphics P630 that is on Intel Xeon E3-1245V6?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello nmbrg,

Thank you for contacting us regarding hardware requirements that you need to meet in order to use "Discrete Device Assignment" (DDA), it will be more than a pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.

Based on the System requirements for Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016, in order to perform DDA your processor must have Intel's Extended Page Table (EPT).

You can check that out here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/System-requirements-for-Hyper-V-on-Windows https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/System-requirements-for-Hyper-V-on-Windows

Based on that, the CPU that you own meets the requirements so it should work just fine.

You can confirm that your CPU has Intel's Extended Page Table (EPT) on the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/products/97473/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1245-v6-8M-Cache-3_70-GHz?q=Xeon%20E3%20-1245%20V6 https://ark.intel.com/products/97473/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1245-v6-8M-Cache-3_70-GHz?q=Xeon%20E3%20-1245%20V6

Theoretically, your unit should work just fine as long as your system meets the other requirements specified on the link above.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
mnaum1
Beginner

I just ran the PowerShell script created by Microsoft to see if the PC has all the requirements to run DDA:

And it seems like thats not the case?

Or is there something i have to do in BIOS/UEFI to make it work?

This was the message i got from the script (though the only device i want to use with DDA is the GPU).

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901

Old-style PCI device, switch port, etc. Not assignable.

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller (C236) - A149

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port # 12 - A11B

High Definition Audio Controller

Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection

BIOS kept control of PCI Express for this device. Not assignable.

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC - A121

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Root Port # 17 - A167

ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus - A123

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port # 11 - A11A

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200 v6/7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) Host Bridge/DRAM Registers - 5918

BIOS requires that this device remain attached to BIOS-owned memory. Not assignable.

Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection # 2

Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port # 1 - A110

Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2

Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2 # 2

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port # 9 - A118

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Unfortunately, this machine doesn't support using them in a VM.

To use SR-IOV on this system, the system BIOS must be updated to allow Windows to control PCI Express. Contact your system manufacturer for an update.

SR-IOV cannot be used on this system as the PCI Express hardware does not support Access Control Services (ACS) at any root port. Contact your system vendor for further information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nmbrg,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

In this case the next step will be to contact Microsoft and your OEM (Motherboard) so they can tell you if there is any specific setting in order to enable DDA.

Based on Microsoft's requirements, your CPU supports Intel's Extended Page Table (EPT) and that should be enough to activate it, however if there is any other system requirement that they do not specify, or any other requirement coming from the actual board they should be able to provide you with the proper guidance in order to set it up.

Feel free to share the links provided on the post above so you can use them as a backup if necessary.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos