Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Damage to graphics card or monitor

NPand6
Beginner

I want to play an old game which supports a resolution(800x600) lower than the minimum resolution offered by my monitor​(1204x768). I have an intel UHD 620 graphics card and I am thinking of trying the custom resolution. I wanted to know whether using a custom resolution lower than the minimum resolution supported by the PC cause any damage to the card or monitor.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This shouldn't cause any damage. If the resolution is not supported by the monitor, it will say so.

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This shouldn't cause any damage. If the resolution is not supported by the monitor, it will say so.

...S

NPand6
Beginner
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello NPand6

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

From the Display settings either on Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel or Intel® Graphics Command Center, you will be able to select among the resolutions listed in the drop-down option. It will show the resolutions supported by your monitor (including the recommended one which is automatically detected) and using any of them shouldn't cause any damage as per n.scott.pearson mentioned.

For selecting a resolution of 800x600 you may need to scroll down or up in the drop-down option, please see image attached.

If you set a custom resolution, that is a different thing and there could be a problem since it may be forcing the settings, that is why we don't recommend creating/setting a custom resolution.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

NPand6
Beginner
0 Kudos