Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Dell XPS15 9570 over-saturated display

TStaf1
Beginner

The colour saturation on my new Dell XPS15 9570 is far too rich. I can create a more realistic profile in the Intel Graphics Interface, but it always reverts on reboot. Is there anything that can be done?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Use ONLY the drivers provided by Dell, and use Dell support for your laptop issues.

Doc

0 Kudos
TStaf1
Beginner

Yes, I'm aware of that; but since there is no provision on the Dell App to adjust the saturation, I can't see what use they're going to be. As far as I'm concerned I'll just throw the question open to all and sundry and see if a solution turns up......

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The Dell drivers have likely been modified/customized for your hardware. Using the Intel generic driver will not have these modifications.

And, if you have dual graphics, you MUST use the Dell drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
TStaf1
Beginner

I've already said I'm aware of that. I refer you to my previous answer; The Machine runs Intel HD Graphics with modified drivers. I know, you can't install native drivers because the Dell ones have been tinkered with. HOWEVER. The Intel control panel on the machine allows me to modify the saturation. The Dell premium colour app does NOT. I'm in touch with Dell over this issue, but it has to be partly Intel's responsibility as well; therefore I'm posting on this forum too. If anyone in the community has any practical suggestions, I'm open to them. It's not an isolated incident, either... Before I bought the machine I didn't see any trace of this complaint; now I see a lot about it. It's serious. If I can't get it resolved I may send the machine back. It's clearly a joint Dell/Intel problem

0 Kudos
nypop
Beginner

you absolutely DO NOT need to use dell drivers! here is what you need to do, i have an XPS15-9575 (2 in 1) and i've had this work for year with ALL off-the-intel-site gfx drivers:

run regedit

search for "WideGamutFeatureEnable" (it'll be somewhere under here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\)

change 0>1

reboot

go to windows app store, download "dell premier color"

run it and pick "internet (srgb)" for your color profile, the settings will survive reboots, but likely not driver updates, so you'll need to edit the registry again

enjoy!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Registry hacks and modifications are not supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
nypop
Beginner

not supported by this site? by dell? by intel?

i mean no disrespect, but i came here to look for solution to my own intel gfx issue and have since found a resolution, i only registered on the site to answer this specific question, i saw it and as i was in the EXACTLY same spot and was about to return my $3000 XPS only because after a dell bios update the color profile changed and the machine became unusable, the 'registry hack' solved this in under a minute, i remained a happy dell (and by extension intel) customer

to that end, i felt strongly enough for this guy' issue that i bothered to register and offer a working solution.

however, if i am not allowed to offer a solution, albeit via 'registry hacks' on this site, i apologize and will not going forward,

cheers

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Such a solution, if you can call it that, should be provided and documented by Dell, if THEY want to support it.

When you purchase a laptop from Dell, or any manufacturer, part of your purchase is for support. Your warranty is with Dell, your drivers come from Dell, your bios comes from Dell, etc. When you discover a problem with your laptop, you deal with DELL, as they are solely responsible for your support. If they discover an issue with a piece of hardware from Intel, or a driver, DELL works with Intel to resolve the issue. With graphic drivers, since Dell has likely modified/customized the drivers to support their hardware, you must use the dell drivers. This is an absolute must if you have dual graphics, as any switching between the drivers is the result of modifications to the drivers by Dell. Using the Intel generic driver may not work or provide you with the capability you want/need.

Personally, If I were to spend $3000 for a laptop, you can be certain I would be banging on DELL to provide the support I am due. When your laptop fails, and is under warranty, you do not take it to Intel, you take it to DELL because that is who your warranty is with.

I am happy for you and your registry hack. But, what happens to those users who make such a hack, and fail to tell Intel or Dell support when something goes wrong? Now, "support" becomes more difficult. And, as you suggested, what happens with driver updates or OS updates/upgrades? See my point? Such a hack cannot be supported.

And, all of this because dell does not provide the latest drivers with their modifications to a customer who just spent $3000 for their hardware. I would be just a tad angry with this kind of "support".

Doc

0 Kudos
TStaf1
Beginner

We've now descended into trolling about policy. I appreciate both points of view. I agree that during the period that there is a dependency on Dell through the warranty channels, it's probably better to honour their jurisdiction, even if only for fiscal security, and then only until they prove themselves incapable or unwilling to resolve an issue. on the other hand, I often hack the registry to tweak Windows, and occasionally third party software, and if I had reached the end of my patience with Dell, then that is what I would do. Thank you both for your insight. Time to move on.

0 Kudos